John Deere 4310 stalling

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #1  

Jalps

Tractor
JD 4310
I have a John Deere 4310 diesel 4wd with 230 hours that I recently bought. After about 45 minutes running, the tractor stalls. It has no problem restarting but when I press the gas, it stalls again. I replaced the fuel filter and air filters and tried it again several days later and same thing. After about 45 minutes of use, it stalls. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am considering just taking it into the shop but thought I would try here first.

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Just to try to help, what does "press on the gas" mean? Do you have the hydrostatic transmission with the forward reverse pedals on the right-side floor? Or do you have the gear transmission with an accelerator on the right-side floor?
If so, do you have the stall problem when 'pressing' one of those pedals?
Have you experienced the same 'stalling' of the engine when the gear selector is in A (low) and B (medium) speed?

Hope we can help solve your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #3  
Is your tractor power-reverser or ehydro?

Does it die completely? or just bog down but still idle?

How long has this been happening? What have you done to the tractor since this started happening? Have you put fuel in it? Any water in fuel? Has it been sitting for a long period nearly empty of fuel? This can cause condensation in the tank.

Also, check the little switch under the seat. This is in effect while PTO is engaged. It can shut off the tractor if no circuit is completed.

/ John Deere 4310 stalling
The tractor has the hydrostatic transmission and yes, when I push on the forward pedal on the right side of the tractor, the engine stalls. I have tried the tractor in A, B & C, and the stalling is consistent in any gear. Thanks for your help!!!

When I bought the tractor, the tank was full, so I am not sure of water in the fuel. I guess I could have that tested or just drain the tank and refuel with new diesel fuel. The engine does bog down and if I don't let off the pedal, it stalls. I have only had the tractor a week, so I have only used it about 4 hours but it is consistent when I use it 30 to 40 minutes, it starts to stall. I don't know about the PTO switch under the seat. If it helps, there is an hour glass symbol that flashes to the left of the hour display and I don't know what this it. Thanks for your help!

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #6  
I think you need to have the transmission checked out, as it is acting like there is a problem with the hydrostatic.

The e-hydro (if you have it) may be out of adjustment or set wrong, but it should not stall in all gears. A mechanic (Deere) said the e-hydro's are pretty free of problems, although the early ones had to have some computers reset due to some early problem. But I don't know what the symptoms were of those problems. Let's hope it is a simple adjustment or something. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hopefully this wasn't a problem before you bought the tractor used, and it makes a good deal not so good. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thank you very much for your response. The tractor does have an e hydro. I will have this checked out and hope that it is nothing expensive to fix. Your right, this may make this not a very good deal but I remain hopeful! Again, I appreciate the time you have given to me!

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #8  
Check out the fuel tank make-up air vent hose- it usually comes off the top of the tank and then goes down. Insects have been known to make nests in them and after the tractor runs awhile a vacunm is created. Cracking the cap would correct it. Crud floating around in the tank can do gremlin like things especially when the tank is low. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have not checked that but certainly will. It does seem to be a fuel supply issue but I am open to all suggestions. The fuel tank was almost full when I encountered the problem so it was puzzling to me that it ran so well for about 45 minutes and then the engine sputtered before dying. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me!

/ John Deere 4310 stalling #10  
<font color="blue"> with 230 hours that I recently bought
After about 45 minutes running, the tractor stalls
when I press the gas, it stalls
When I bought the tractor, the tank was full, so I am not sure of water in the fuel. I guess I could have that tested or just drain the tank and refuel with new diesel fuel.
The engine does bog down and if I don't let off the pedal, it stalls
I have only used it about 4 hours
</font>
From these statements- You have just bought the tractor and have put about 4 hours on it. I notice that you say that if you let off the pedal is ceases to stall. A hydro is set up to where if you let up on the pedal it is similar to going to a lower gear. You have more power the farther the pedal is let up. Could it be that as you are starting to do heavier work that you are not letting the pedal up to compensate for it?