John Deere 5085E Stuck in 4wd

/ John Deere 5085E Stuck in 4wd
Doing that is obviously something that he could try but until he gets 12 volts to the solenoid he knows it's not going to work. My guess now is you have something going on in the wiring harness. Or there's something going on in the controllers.
Correct. The EHC was one from a different, identical tractor that I was given to try, so not out any $. While it’s possible it’s also bad, I doubt it has a circuit failure in the exact same way as the original.

/ John Deere 5085E Stuck in 4wd
The tractor is now fixed. Unfortunately the solution to the problem, was no solution at all. Apparently the tractor is a woman, and it finally just decided to change its mood and work correctly.

JD and myself chased circuits, replaced controllers, etc to no avail. The "fix" was found by accident. We plugged the original controller back in, while the original solenoid was unplugged. Turned the tractor on, and with the key on, then plugged the solenoid back in. Tractor sounded a quick alarm, and then went quiet. MFWD works just like its supposed to now. Neither I, nor either of the experienced Tech's have ever seen something like it.

Maybe all the prayers I've been sending up were answered, and God just wanted to laugh at us for a few days. :sneaky:

/ John Deere 5085E Stuck in 4wd #24  
Bad or intermittent ground somewhere.

/ John Deere 5085E Stuck in 4wd #25  
That relay is likely a multiple pole which would turn off the light and activate the 4wd solenoid at the same time.
Ok. I'm Stumped on this one...

I have a 2017 John Deere 5085E. The 4wd light on the dash, is on constantly. (Was like this when I purchased it). Regardless of where I position the switch, it will not disengage. I realize that 4wd is the default for these tractors, and that the solenoid requires power to keep the tractor in 2wd. I've checked the obvious - no blown fuses. I have power at the 4wd switch on the console, and tested the switch (its good). I have however no power to the solenoid. The plug to the solenoid is 2 wires. I've tested continuity on the ground side of the plug, and its fine. However I cant seem to trace the hot side once it goes into the cab. Also read where there is a controller for the dash light..?
Speed Test
I've had no luck on a wiring diagram/schematic. Curious if anyone else has fought this same thing? Assuming the wiring is probably the same for the 5085/5090E/5100E?

Last edited: