John Deere 855 SCV Work

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #1  

Doug Vee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L48, Kubota F3060, John Deere 855
Is anyone aware of a kit to rehab the control linkages for the SCV? Also, is there a reseal kit available for the valve body itself? Is the resealing of the valve body something that can be performed in frame?

The control lever is getting pretty loose goose, and the float function has never been available to me since I have owned the machine (10ish years or so). Also, the valve body seems that it is wetter than it should be, and I'm thinking some O-rings need replacement. The machine has just over 1000 hours, 1990 model year, with power beyond plumbed and has the 7 backhoe and the 70 loader.

Thank you,

Doug

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #2  
Is anyone aware of a kit to rehab the control linkages for the SCV? Also, is there a reseal kit available for the valve body itself? Is the resealing of the valve body something that can be performed in frame?

The control lever is getting pretty loose goose, and the float function has never been available to me since I have owned the machine (10ish years or so). Also, the valve body seems that it is wetter than it should be, and I'm thinking some O-rings need replacement. The machine has just over 1000 hours, 1990 model year, with power beyond plumbed and has the 7 backhoe and the 70 loader.

Thank you,

Doug
Doug, not all the JD855 are capable of SVC. You have to verify per the tractor ID plate on the lower back end near the PTO output spline shaft.
1691191579260.png

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work
   / John Deere 855 SCV Work #4  
Doug
Deere parts shows a decent parts breakdown for the direction control valves. I did not see a seal kit listed but I also could have easily missed it. Can you tell if leaking between the valve sections or just around the ends of the spools?

Detent assembly can usually be cleaned and or rebuilt.

No clue if this an in frame job on 855. You would need decent access to both ends of the valve to replace spool seals and detent assembly.

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #5  
bmaverick,

I apologize, but I do not understand your reply. If my 855 can operate the model 70 loader, does it not have a selective control valve(s)?

Thanks again for your time.

Doug
Doug, you would have to find the tracto serial number on the rear ID plate by the PTO output. M00855B010001 and higher s/n would allow a SCV interface on your machine. It's that simple. Because the hydraulic system either came with the interface or was not added to the sunstrand die cast on the tractor. So yes, look closely at the s/n of your machine. It's that smple to find out Yeah or Nah to add the optional SCV to your machine.

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #6  
Doug, you would have to find the tracto serial number on the rear ID plate by the PTO output. M00855B010001 and higher s/n would allow a SCV interface on your machine. It's that simple. Because the hydraulic system either came with the interface or was not added to the sunstrand die cast on the tractor. So yes, look closely at the s/n of your machine. It's that smple to find out Yeah or Nah to add the optional SCV to your machine.
First post says has 70 loader and number 7 back hoe and that loader levers are loose and valve is leaking. Was there different options for where loader valve was mounted on the 855? Was there also different option on how the the back hoe was plumbed?

Just curious since have no direct knowledge of 855 options.

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #7  
The control lever is getting pretty loose goose, and the float function has never been available to me since I have owned the machine (10ish years or so). Also, the valve body seems that it is wetter than it should be, and I'm thinking some O-rings need replacement.
Your FEL joystick valve prob looks like this one from one of my 955s. All is accessible after removing seat and its support bracket. Fender removal helps, too, but may not be necessary.

The joystick's heim joints and some of the brackets get pretty worn as most owners don't oil them. At the time I did mine, JD parts were available and reasonable. Now? Dunno.

But I just ordered a full set of 6 replacement heim joints for my backhoe that look better-made than the original. About $20 total. You can also fix the worn holes in those brackets by drilling them out and inserting a bushing.

Attachments

• DSCN9826.JPG
    DSCN9826.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Doug
Deere parts shows a decent parts breakdown for the direction control valves. I did not see a seal kit listed but I also could have easily missed it. Can you tell if leaking between the valve sections or just around the ends of the spools?

Detent assembly can usually be cleaned and or rebuilt.

No clue if this an in frame job on 855. You would need decent access to both ends of the valve to replace spool seals and detent assembly.
The area around the end of the spools looks pretty damp from hydraulic oil. Also damp around the cap screws going into the flow divider.

The largest leak I have found is where the pressure line to the power beyond comes out of the top of the case. In order to disassemble it to replace the O-rings, it looks like I have to start removing hydraulic lines from the top of the SCV, at least one if not all of them, to have access and clearance to turn the fitting.

It doesn’t look like it is too tough to remove the flow divider and the SCVs. The fun probably really starts when you start pulling the spools out.

Thanks for the reply,
Doug

Your FEL joystick valve prob looks like this one from one of my 955s. All is accessible after removing seat and its support bracket. Fender removal helps, too, but may not be necessary.

The joystick's heim joints and some of the brackets get pretty worn as most owners don't oil them. At the time I did mine, JD parts were available and reasonable. Now? Dunno.

But I just ordered a full set of 6 replacement heim joints for my backhoe that look better-made than the original. About $20 total. You can also fix the worn holes in those brackets by drilling them out and inserting a bushing.
Yep,

Mine looks very similar to yours. It looks like I have a long phone conversation with the John Deere parts person in my future.

Concerning bushing the shaft holes, I have never tried to source bushings for a project like this. I suppose the bushing material hardness, the OD and the ID is the pertinent information, but where does one source bushings?

Thanks for the reply,
Doug

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #10  
Concerning bushing the shaft holes, I have never tried to source bushings for a project like this. I suppose the bushing material hardness, the OD and the ID is the pertinent information, but where does one source bushings?
I use eBay for most of my parts of this type. You can also try someone like Grainger.

First, I differentiate between "bushings" and plain bearings. The pins used for your FEL joystick do wear, as well as do the holes in the brackets, and the pivot holes in the valve spool. Fortunately the spool pivot holes I have seen seem to be harder than the pins or holes in the brackets. The system can be designed where the pins are softer than the other wear surfaces, which I prefer.

I would buy some steel bushings and pins to fit, of the same ID as the ID of the spool pivot hole. Verify the spool pivot hole is not too worn.

Drill out the brackets to the OD of the new inserts. Chances are you will have to drill a little too big and weld it in. You may be able to shoot for an interference fit, if you are lucky and want to do the extra work.

I have done this for small holes like this, as well as 1' or bigger loader pin holes.

You can also plug your sloppy holes with a welder, then drill them out.