John Deere 855 SCV Work

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work
I use eBay for most of my parts of this type. You can also try someone like Grainger.

First, I differentiate between "bushings" and plain bearings. The pins used for your FEL joystick do wear, as well as do the holes in the brackets, and the pivot holes in the valve spool. Fortunately the spool pivot holes I have seen seem to be harder than the pins or holes in the brackets. The system can be designed where the pins are softer than the other wear surfaces, which I prefer.

I would buy some steel bushings and pins to fit, of the same ID as the ID of the spool pivot hole. Verify the spool pivot hole is not too worn.

Drill out the brackets to the OD of the new inserts. Chances are you will have to drill a little too big and weld it in. You may be able to shoot for an interference fit, if you are lucky and want to do the extra work.

I have done this for small holes like this, as well as 1' or bigger loader pin holes.

You can also plug your sloppy holes with a welder, then drill them out.
dfkrug,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it. I will check into eBay as a source.

Now, to continue on with the discussion of the SCV's, the front valve is the regenerative valve. I can feel the detent when I push past the normal travel, but it does not stay in place. Since I was not aware of this feature, I did not miss that it was not holding in place, but did always wonder why there was a "click" when pushed all the way. I assume the spool should stay in that position until physically pulled out of the detent?

The rear valve, with the float function, I have never felt the detent when pushed past the normal down function. I have the linkage removed from both. spools. I pushed the rear spool past with a pair of pliers. I think I feel the detent position, but it does not seem to want to remain in the detent position. Again, I assume this should remain in position until pulled back to normal operation. Should it stay in the detent?

Thanks for your time.
Doug

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #12  
The regen function is not detented, the float function is detented.

Thanks for the reply. I get the feeling the float detent is not functional.

I browsed the 70 loader manual. It seems funny to me that there is no real specific mention of the regen function and almost no mention of the float function. At least that I could see. I don’t see as well so used to though. :)

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #15  
My loader was a 70A model. Dunno what the differences are between that and the 70.

It is amazing how many folks I meet who don't even realize their tractor has a float function. I suppose disuse could also make it so the detent balls get gummed up and stop their function.

My loader was a 70A model. Dunno what the differences are between that and the 70.

It is amazing how many folks I meet who don't even realize their tractor has a float function. I suppose disuse could also make it so the detent balls get gummed up and stop their function.
Another funny thing is, this is the second 855 I have owned. I have owned 855's for 20 years. I am the kind of person that likes to have the factory documentation for equipment. I also read the manuals...but if the manuals don't describe the operation fully, how would anyone know?

Also, the decals on the fenders apparently are not nearly as durable as the tractors. There is no real discernible information remaining on the loader fender. The goofy symbols might have had me questioning what they mean, but they are not there. Now that I know about it, I want to pursue this as a project.

Doug

/ John Deere 855 SCV Work #18  
Do you gave to push past a stop to go into regen? I believe most if not valves have a stop before you get to regen similar to going into float.

Regen mechanisms can get gummed up over time especially if they are not used. Use care when taking them apart since there is almost some balls and or springs that will fly out and vaporize into thin air.

Do you gave to push past a stop to go into regen? I believe most if not valves have a stop before you get to regen similar to going into float.

Regen mechanisms can get gummed up over time especially if they are not used. Use care when taking them apart since there is almost some balls and or springs that will fly out and vaporize into thin air.
I haven't checked into it too much, as I just reassembled the tractor after having repaired the hydraulic leak in the power beyond circuit. I did discuss the parts availability for these SCV's with the JD parts man. It appears that many of the parts are NLA, so this might be more of an academic discussion more than anything. Since I never even knew the valves had those features, I never missed them.

Thank you for the reply,
Doug

I have the 855 whole again. The loader linkage action is much improved. I did not pursue and bushing installation, though I have a pretty good idea where bushings would help if I were to take on that project. The loader lever has two holes that are 90 degrees to each other. Those two holes seem to be where the play is. I will probably leave as is, unless I am looking for another project sometime in the future.

Concerning the float and regen functions, the regen is functioning. I had never really noticed it before, but it is definitely there. The float function is not available. I don't think I will pursue correction of the float function. The only place I could think of to use it would be for snow clearing. Since I have a stone driveway, even then it would not be really that much of a help to keep rock out of the grass. It might be good for back dragging with the bucket, but, as I said before, it has never worked, so I don't miss it. Maybe it might be a future project to remove the detent assembly, clean it up and reassemble to see if that might correct the problem.

Anyway, I am satisfied with the much improved SCV action now.

Thanks for all the replies.
Doug