John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR !

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #12  
It's all CAN bus it should all be open and available with any CAN bus reader.
It should not take JD's propriety reader and software to access, read very expensive and cost prohibitive
hard and software.
And why was service and repair manuals restricted from the owners originally.
To many unanswered questions and open ended agreements that likely will not mean much,
we will see.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #14  
JD will now make money by selling the required software to work on the tractors.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #15  
All this means is they will offer the average person the software/hardware they have....at a price. Dont think for one second that software/hardware is going to be cheap.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #16  
As a person with some knowledge of Deere dealership. They pay a lot for the training to use the software, pay for tools to connect laptop to tractor, all kinds of special tools to install seals, etc., And a dealer is not allowed to reprogram an ECU. It is done by Deere and downloaded to the laptop. Deere has been selling a limited version of the service software for years, at a cost per year. Not cheap and does not let you reprogram an ECU. No access to the ECU per the EPA.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #17  
"The MOU commits John Deere to ensuring farmers and independent repair facilities have access to many of the tools and software needed"

"The agreement formalizes farmers’ access to diagnostic and repair codes, as well as manuals (operator, parts, service) and product guides. It also ensures farmers will be able to purchase diagnostic tools directly from John Deere"

You guys don't think that is a big step? Instead of hoarding all the knowledge, Deere is now letting you buy diagnostic tools and have access to all codes and repair info. Seems like progress.
I don't read anything in your posted info that could be considered a sizeable gain.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #18  
It's all CAN bus it should all be open and available with any CAN bus reader.
It should not take JD's propriety reader and software to access, read very expensive and cost prohibitive
hard and software.
And why was service and repair manuals restricted from the owners originally.
To many unanswered questions and open ended agreements that likely will not mean much,
we will see.
I don't recall ever trying to get shop manuals from JD so not sure what restrictions were in place. I agree this isn't significant.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #19  
The news articles report information that is sensational and sometimes out of context to sell advertising. You have to read the entire MOU to get the big picture.

Deere is not conceding a whole lot. They can still protect their intellectual property and go after people who infringe. MOU says they have to provide tools/equipment and tech data at reasonable cost, but they are not going to provide that at less than they charge their dealers now. That cost, which will be ongoing to anyone wanting to participate (annual subscription to Deere tech data for example), will keep most independents away (IMHO).

I believe it will only be the mega farm corporations or the big equipment lease outfits that will be able to pay to play. So I guess that is a check in the plus side for the that consumer base.

Deere still gets paid. Some dealers will lose some maybe.

/ John Deere Concedes to RIGHT TO REPAIR ! #20  
Not gonna happen. Name one other vehicle where the source code is open source and available on some warez site.

And I have the same stance against any other manufacturer

I use many open source tools from basic software like ubuntu to 3d printers. It's the way to go