John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #11  
The 21xxxx.28xxxx,31xxxx,33xxxx all use the same camshaft part number so not limited to just your engine. But the main reason Briggs doesn't fix it is because it isn't as widespread as people think. Even if 100K fail every year compared to over 10M engines.

Unless you are one of the 100K. :) Like me, that's 100K that will probably never buy another machine with a B&S engine.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #12  
Unless you are one of the 100K. :) Like me, that's 100K that will probably never buy another machine with a B&S engine.
You are just one of the unlucky ones. Most people never see a failure or at most 1. After working on mowers and engines for over 25 years every engine manufacturer has their quirky engines. For me the engine brand that is the most troublematic is Kawasaki. But that may just be due to the engine keeps running or the customer ignores the problems until it won't run.

My most common issues I see are ignition modules, carb issues with either the float valve not sealing or engine surging, and stator and regulator issues. So what happens most of the time is the customer brings in their mower and it is running on one cylinder, surging and not charging. So I may need to repair all 4 items in one shop trip.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #13  
You are just one of the unlucky ones. Most people never see a failure or at most 1. After working on mowers and engines for over 25 years every engine manufacturer has their quirky engines. For me the engine brand that is the most troublematic is Kawasaki. But that may just be due to the engine keeps running or the customer ignores the problems until it won't run.

My most common issues I see are ignition modules, carb issues with either the float valve not sealing or engine surging, and stator and regulator issues. So what happens most of the time is the customer brings in their mower and it is running on one cylinder, surging and not charging. So I may need to repair all 4 items in one shop trip.
I can see the menu board above the service desk now. "Ask about our $499.00 surge and purge special. Includes biscuits and free charging system test."
It is weird how many times it's the same combo platter...

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #14  
Really those little single Inteks used to be an OK engine. Cams were built different on them years back. When they stretched them to 33" , there were noticeably more head gasket and cam problems with the newer versions. There twins aren't perfect but at least what seemed to be problematic they fixed at least mechanically. The fuel system could use some work yet.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed.
There is something really not wanting to allow the sump to lift up. I mean, I'm getting more aggressive with pretty bars than I think is wise... I'm stopping to see if you all can tell me what I'm not seeing.

Attachments

• 20231008_134004.jpg
    20231008_134004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20231008_134009.jpg
    20231008_134009.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231008_123631.jpg
    20231008_123631.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
My dudes... how can this toy level engine not allow me to get the dang dump to slide up. I hammered in 3 pry bars from different sides and got about an 1/4" gap and I'm telling you..... she wants to stay right there on that block.
20231008_135515.jpg

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #17  
Make sure there isn't a rust ridge at the bottom of the crankshaft between the seal area and the smaller area of the crankshaft. Doesn't take much rust to prevent the crank from sliding through the bearing surface.

Okay. How does one get a rust ridge off of the crank? It does seem that the crank is trying to hold onto the sump and crack it as we pry, beat and leverage at the sump.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #19  
sandpaper/emery paper. Course is fine.

/ John Deere LA125 Lawn tractor 21HP B&S single crankshaft Oil Seal needed. #20  
I use the air angle grinder with 2" scotchbrite roloc discs.