John Deere sold at Lowes & HD

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD
Fordlords said:
I don't know of any Chinese made lawn or garden tractors in the USA. Some might have a few Chinese components such as bulbs or ?, but for the most part even the cheapest models of Craftsman, Deere, Cub, etc are made in the USA and have mostly USA made components. Even Kohler's economy Courage and Briggs Intek engines are made in the USA. Tuff Torq who makes JD's transaxles is owned by Yanmar, but they build them in the USA, much the same deal of the Kawasaki engines they use on some models.

There isn't much of a profit margin on the lower priced tractors, and manufacturers have to fill that gap with their higher end, higher priced, and usually higher quality machines. (The same holds true for automobiles.) Most American companies that exclusively produced bottom end discount store push mowers and tractors have gone bankrupt, as it is nearly impossible to hold that end alone without building the mahines in China. Murray for instance, even after being bought out by a Chinese holding company, still could not build exclusively low end machines at a profit in the USA. At their end in 2004 it was estimated the company lost $10 for every push mower they built. They owed over $30 million to Briggs and Stratton when they folded.

People ask then why do companies like Cub and Deere even make low end machines? The simple answer is that they hope every customer will want to move up to something bigger and better in the future, or look to their company for buying other types of lawn and garden equipment. They know not every potential new buyer will hop on a $2500+ machine, so they hope by having their equipment out in the low end segment they can attract people to their name. Incidentally, the low end segment is also the most competitive.

-Fordlords-

John Deere, as I understand it, has extensive operations in China. Those Chinese plants must be building something.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #22  
You're probably right but remember John Deere is a worldwide company.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #23  
Yes, they do have Chinese operations that possibly supply some parts (which would mainly be metal castings or stampings) to the USA, (USA can't compete in the steel market) but equipment assembled by them in China would be for the overseas markets. The Chinese Deere's aren't here yet, but might come in the near future- they just determine where the build profit line crosses the cost of shipping the equipment over here. Once it's cheaper to ship, then they will build in China for the USA market.

-Fordlords-

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #24  
Just a little FYI for Builder, who was apparently surprised to see Milwaukee Tools in both Lowes and Home Depot... Last year TTI, a joint venture between Home Depot, Emerson Electric and the Ridge Tool Design Company (Ridgid) - Ryobi division purchased Milwaukee Tools for cash and the assumption of certain liabilities. I believe that this purchase was approved by the FTC and became fait accompli in roughly June/July of 2006. Since the Home Depot has become an indirect owner, Lowes has had increasing issues with obtaining adequate product. :eek: Is it any wonder? :rolleyes:

The basic reason given for the purchase was to help improve the battery technology of the Ryobi parent company, and provide a needed cash infusion for Milwaukee Tools. Milwaukee does hold a number of patents related to latest tool - Lithium Ion battery technology. I guess, my point is, I wouldn't be placing Milwaukee on any pedestals... they're no different than any other tool manufacturer - DeWalt, Porter Cable (who are both owned by Black & Decker), Makita, Hitachi or Skil-Bosch. It's really kind of hard not to put their products on your shelves, when you technically own them - as in the case of Home Depot. :eek:

Regards,

Chuck Herron

cherron said:
Just a little FYI for Builder, who was apparently surprised to see Milwaukee Tools in both Lowes and Home Depot... Last year TTI, a joint venture between Home Depot, Emerson Electric and the Ridge Tool Design Company (Ridgid) - Ryobi division purchased Milwaukee Tools for cash and the assumption of certain liabilities. I believe that this purchase was approved by the FTC and became fait accompli in roughly June/July of 2006. Since the Home Depot has become an indirect owner, Lowes has had increasing issues with obtaining adequate product. :eek: Is it any wonder? :rolleyes:

The basic reason given for the purchase was to help improve the battery technology of the Ryobi parent company, and provide a needed cash infusion for Milwaukee Tools. Milwaukee does hold a number of patents related to latest tool - Lithium Ion battery technology. I guess, my point is, I wouldn't be placing Milwaukee on any pedestals... they're no different than any other tool manufacturer - DeWalt, Porter Cable (who are both owned by Black & Decker), Makita, Hitachi or Skil-Bosch. It's really kind of hard not to put their products on your shelves, when you technically own them - as in the case of Home Depot. :eek:

Regards,

Chuck Herron

No FYI needed-I already knew TTI bought Milwaukee tools, but I didn't know Home Depot had anything to do with TTI. that's interesting.

I heard TTI was a Hong Kong based investment group that also owned Rigid & Ryobi.

Once they start building the Milwaukee brand in China, they'll be junk.... Just like the poisoned food they send us and our pets and the compact fl bulbs that never last as long as they're supposed to or the Christmas decorations that last a year or 2 then end up at the curb with the rest of the Chinese trash..

Luckily, I already own all the Milwaukee tools I need. Most are 10+ years old and holding up well. Some of the 28V stuff I have is made in mex, Czech republic, or Canada. Most of my traditional Milwaukee tools are made in USA.

Someday we'll get a government and corp attitude that actually is conducive to investment in our country and our people.

Sorry for the soapbox speech.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #26  
Builder said:
Once they start building the Milwaukee brand in China, they'll be junk.... Just like the poisoned food they send us and our pets and the compact fl bulbs that never last as long as they're supposed to or the Christmas decorations that last a year or 2 then end up at the curb with the rest of the Chinese trash..

Someday we'll get a government and corp attitude that actually is conducive to investment in our country and our people.

As millions of North Americans follow their quest to purchase everything at the cheapest possible price, regardless of quality or country of origin, we will one day wake up to no significant manufacturing capacity, plus major unemployment from all those lost jobs.

Anything worthwhile that is left will be owned by the Chinese, East Indians, Japanese, Koreans or Saudi Arabia. They have to spend all those $$$ from the trade imbalance somewhere.

The school system is a shambles resulting in millions of drop outs and non graduates, with no current hope of a decent job and less prospects for the future.

CinderSchnauzer said:
As millions of North Americans follow their quest to purchase everything at the cheapest possible price, regardless of quality or country of origin, we will one day wake up to no significant manufacturing capacity, plus major unemployment from all those lost jobs.

Anything worthwhile that is left will be owned by the Chinese, East Indians, Japanese, Koreans or Saudi Arabia. They have to spend all those $$$ from the trade imbalance somewhere.

The school system is a shambles resulting in millions of drop outs and non graduates, with no current hope of a decent job and less prospects for the future.

...and millions of illegal immigrants to fill the lower paying jobs that high school dropout American citizens used to take. That means more unemployment checks, welfare & free health care all paid for by the middle & upper class.

I'd pay more for an American built and manufactured power tool, tractor or truck.....hey wait a minute, I already DID!!! :)

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #28  
Like that joke I heard not too long ago- all the low paying manufacturing jobs that nobody in America wants will be done by Mexicans, and all the good paying computer and engineering jobs Americans do want will be sent to India.

-Fordlords-

Fordlords said:
Like that joke I heard not too long ago- all the low paying manufacturing jobs that nobody in America wants will be done by Mexicans, and all the good paying computer and engineering jobs Americans do want will be sent to India.

-Fordlords-

yep, we'll send everything great we had here overseas as long as some richy-rich board of supervisors or the guberment can make money off it.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #30  
VABlue said:
Unit40

I'm curious... When I was searching for a new mower, I looked into the X5 and X7 series. One of the things I wanted to do is clear some woods for yard, so I wanted a big, heavy duty tractor. My dealer showed me the X5, but didn't have any X7's. He did say he would order me one if I wanted it, but didn't want to sell it.
1*For the same money the 2305 was a prettier option (at least for me).
2*So my question for you is what pushed you into the X744 at the same cost of the 2305?
1*The Kubota BX1500 Sub compact is a lot more tractor than a JD X 5 or x 7 garden tractor.
I was considering a new BX1500 with a front blade and a rear tiller for $8500.
The X5 or X7 JD was about 12000 to 13000 with the same attachments.
If i'm paying for a sub compact I'm going to get it not a garden tractor.
2*Seems like a sensless choice to me.