Comparison John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #11  
Op, have you sat on or ran either one? That might be enough of a deciding factor if you have already figured out your required specs.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #12  
Honestly as long as it isn't made in China I am fine with it. The John Deere comes with an excellent warranty and as long as the Dealer and service department are good people I'm sure it is fine. I did drive the 3038E a couple times and strongly considered it. In the end I just preferred the Kubota but only because of how it felt to me. I never did any real work with either before buying. I didn't remember this before but the Deere has to be out of gear to get off the seat. That would annoy the **** out of me because I frequently have to get off the seat to see over the bucket, or jump off and re-rig a chain. On flat ground the HST will hold the tractor still. I also was worried about the Kubota pedal over the twin Deere pedals after watching the videos but it hasn't been an issue, I find it very easy and comfortable. As for the plastic hood it wouldn't bother me. If you smacked it hard enough to break it I'm sure the steel hood would be in pretty sad shape too. Deere and Kubota both make a fine machine, drive them both a couple times and pick the one you like the best. Either one will get a lot of work done a lot faster than a subcompact. I can say if I bought another tractor without the Backhoe I would get a ballast box full of concrete. Loader work is WAY easier, and the tractor is way more stable with the weight of the hoe vs the box blade or land plane.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #13  
Thank you for the information.

Yeah, it's tough to make a decision especially when the kubota sales rep says one thing and the JD rep says another. One thing that Kubota keeps mentioning is that JD doesnt manufacture all the components in their tractors i.e. the motor and the hydrostatic system. what are your thoughts about that? also, what is it with this plastic hood vs. metal hood?

Personally, if a dealer starts bashing another brand, I'll go elsewhere, neither our JD or Kubota dealers do that. I don't care who makes the drive-train or anything else as long as it's a quality product. I prefer a metal hood over plastic, but it's not a deal breaker for me and some plastics are pretty darn strong. I don't know how much plastic our 1025R has and don't much care. If you go poking around on some big trucks, you'll find plastic and engines not made by the parent company.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #14  
Honestly as long as it isn't made in China I am fine with it. The John Deere comes with an excellent warranty and as long as the Dealer and service department are good people I'm sure it is fine. I did drive the 3038E a couple times and strongly considered it. In the end I just preferred the Kubota but only because of how it felt to me. I never did any real work with either before buying. I didn't remember this before but the Deere has to be out of gear to get off the seat. That would annoy the **** out of me because I frequently have to get off the seat to see over the bucket, or jump off and re-rig a chain. On flat ground the HST will hold the tractor still. I also was worried about the Kubota pedal over the twin Deere pedals after watching the videos but it hasn't been an issue, I find it very easy and comfortable. As for the plastic hood it wouldn't bother me. If you smacked it hard enough to break it I'm sure the steel hood would be in pretty sad shape too. Deere and Kubota both make a fine machine, drive them both a couple times and pick the one you like the best. Either one will get a lot of work done a lot faster than a subcompact. I can say if I bought another tractor without the Backhoe I would get a ballast box full of concrete. Loader work is WAY easier, and the tractor is way more stable with the weight of the hoe vs the box blade or land plane.

Good advice, both companies have good machines, dealer support & ease of operation are important factors.

Ronnie

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #16  
Good advice, both companies have good machines, dealer support & ease of operation are important factors.

Ronnie
I agree, distance to and dealer support both are very important.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #17  
I have just bought a 3033r. I am on 11acres on a hillside. So far so good. Been grading and doing fel work seems very capable. I went to 2 different jd dealers just to xcheck the info. Out of all the tractors i looked at i prefered the ergonomics of the jd. i looked at the 3038e but the extra standard stuff on the 33r convinced me to spend the bit extra. It has a bigger lift capacity on the fel to 38e which also swayed it.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #18  
I have a L3301. It's a good tractor. Most sold today are.

I'd say that you need to sit on them and speak with both dealers, and not just the salesmen. Start at the parts counter. Strike up a conversation. See how they treat you. Quite a few people, myself included, have had bad experiences with some dealers when it comes to parts for smaller tractors and mowers. I'm told that the dealer that treated me poorly is much better now, but I had such a bad taste from it that I didn't even look at a JD when it came time to buy a tractor.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #19  
Not an easy choice, but on the bright side, you wont go wrong with either choice. For me, the choice was Kubota because the dealer was more responsive.
I almost bought a Deere simply because of the pedal layout - I didnt like the Kubota Heel-Toe. My feet are size 15, and If I'm not careful, I hit the reverse
side of the pedal while shifting around - not good going backwards when you are not expecting to. But, I finally got used to it.
And the further end - I spent a lot of time looking until I found a used Kubota with only 60 hours.

Anyway, long story short, the dealer made the difference.

/ John Deere v. Kubota - small tractor #20  
I looked at JD, Kubota, Mahindra and Kioti before buying my Branson.

I completely agree with buying the dealer.