Oil & Fuel Just bought a Belarus 250AS

/ Just bought a Belarus 250AS #21  
I've never heard of tying the two wires off the plug together.

.... then to a switch then to the battery.

He demanded I do it that way after he had to replace burned diodes or something from the first time I used it. I did have it like you said and the smaller black wire just cut off. Still I suspect the real reason it burnt something in the ALT the first time is I think there was still stuff hooked up on the orginal regualtor that was running through the key switch. I'm using the original key switch to start now but I cut all the other wires coming out and just found one afterward that would switch with the key to go from the battery to the solenoid small terminal.

/ Just bought a Belarus 250AS #22  
I found a decent wiring diagram to help in the re-wiring. I really don't care for the micarta boards with little wires wrapped all around. I straight-fused one circuit years ago with one strand of copper wire from a #10 AG wire. That may be why a couple of things burned up over the next few years.

/ Just bought a Belarus 250AS #23  
Ebay seller CALTRIC sells the reduction drive starter for the 250AS for $155 with free shipping. Got mine in last week, and the results are astonishing.
He must have just raised his price - now it's $185.

/ Just bought a Belarus 250AS #24  
He must have just raised his price - now it's $185.

Ahh "caltric" I thought the logo was "centric"
That was the one I was going to buy first but they didn't answer my email about the nose differences they mention. It was a little more than the one I got.