Just bought a mf 135!

/ Just bought a mf 135!
So I finally got to look things over on my new 135. Doesn't appear to be any leaks except a slight dribble around the pto shaft. I tried to get a better look at the multi power shaft. The rod that comes down from the lever is disconnected at the shaft going into the tranny. I tried to move it by hand but it didn't seem to move up and down. Should it go side to side? If the multi power doesn't engage, is the only thing I have to worry about is freewheeling? I checked the SN and it is a 1968.

/ Just bought a mf 135! #12  
So I finally got to look things over on my new 135. Doesn't appear to be any leaks except a slight dribble around the pto shaft. I tried to get a better look at the multi power shaft. The rod that comes down from the lever is disconnected at the shaft going into the tranny. I tried to move it by hand but it didn't seem to move up and down. Should it go side to side? If the multi power doesn't engage, is the only thing I have to worry about is freewheeling? I checked the SN and it is a 1968.
looked at mine the other day and it moves up and down. I believe the valve has a pretty stiff spring inside. You'll need a manual to properly adjust. I don't remember the procedure.

/ Just bought a mf 135!
So, by looking at it I am guessing that the shaft should be down to be in high range? If that is the case, then its not working... Im going to change the hydrolic fluid and clean the filter but I dont think it will make it work. Can anything be done to make it not freewheel?

/ Just bought a mf 135! #14  
So, by looking at it I am guessing that the shaft should be down to be in high range? If that is the case, then its not working... Im going to change the hydrolic fluid and clean the filter but I dont think it will make it work. Can anything be done to make it not freewheel?
There's a separate pump and filter that operates the muti power. There is supposed to be a way to weld some internal parts together to disable multi power and stop freewheeling but I do not know how. The problem is either the pump or clutch. There are some sealing rings that leak in the multi power hydraulic circuit. It's a fairly complex system that requires the tractor to be split in two places to repair.

/ Just bought a mf 135!
There's a separate pump and filter that operates the muti power. There is supposed to be a way to weld some internal parts together to disable multi power and stop freewheeling but I do not know how. The problem is either the pump or clutch. There are some sealing rings that leak in the multi power hydraulic circuit. It's a fairly complex system that requires the tractor to be split in two places to repair.

Is the pump and filter the one that you get to through the pto lever opening? I'm not sure if it would be worth getting it fixed right now. i'll just deal with the freewheeling. I just hope that nothing else is effected by the multi power system not working. I cant afford major repairs. Can a regular 3x2 transmition be put in place of the multi power trans? Or is that a whole different animal?

/ Just bought a mf 135! #16  
Is the pump and filter the one that you get to through the pto lever opening? I'm not sure if it would be worth getting it fixed right now. i'll just deal with the freewheeling. I just hope that nothing else is effected by the multi power system not working. I cant afford major repairs. Can a regular 3x2 transmition be put in place of the multi power trans? Or is that a whole different animal?
There is actually two pumps and filters. one is the main pump for the tph and auxiliary outlets and one for the multi power and independent pto if you have it. Both are accessed through the PTO cover. I suppose a standard 3 x 2 trans could be put in the place of the multi power trans. Probably at a high cost also.

/ Just bought a mf 135! #17  
Excuse my ignorance. The Multi-Power splits each gear?? So if you have a 3x2 with MP you have 12 speeds??

I've never owned one of these tractors but have always heard good things about them!!! I consider them ahead of their time in features. Congrats on the purchase.

/ Just bought a mf 135!
Thats correct. If it is working properly.

Would it be better to take the seat off and go in through the top to service the pumps and filters? Or is that a BAD idea?

/ Just bought a mf 135! #19  
Thats correct. If it is working properly.

Would it be better to take the seat off and go in through the top to service the pumps and filters? Or is that a BAD idea?

Bad idea, too heavy,too complex for just filter clean, fluid change

/ Just bought a mf 135! #20  
Again, excuse my ignorance.

If I was buying one of these tractors, what's the things I should focus on to determine quality of the tractor??

I'm wanting to purchase an older 2wd tractor in this size range and the Masseys are near the top of my list.