Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent?

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #1  

Wnc3

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator
My particular problem is the engine compartment on my mini excavator.
The mice are chewing the insulation and building nest. All equipment is now indoors on concrete. Do those sonic plug in devices work? Don't really like poison because of dogs and kids.
Thanks

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #2  
I have tried everything and the best thing I did was finally get 2 barn cats 3 years ago. I tried all kind of stuff but nothing worked.

I hated cats before but then tried one. It ran off. Tried one again and it got killed. Finally was told by a old timer to get 2 and that was the fix. They entertain each other, cost about $10 per 2 months on a bag of food, and keep my stuff nice.

I hate male cats (Toms), they pizz on everything. I only get females and get them fixed when they were 4 months old. (they can get pregnant at 5-6 months). Cost $35 at the clinic here in town to get them fixed and all shots.

Chris

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #3  
I don't think there's anything that works for everyone, but I tried the spearmint/peppermint repellants in my pole barn this winter and really haven't seen any signs of mice. I got mine from ACE and it was a pretty cheap fix for this year.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #4  
I tend to think the females are better mousers, but you can avoid the male cats pissing all over the place if you get them fixed at an early age. We have two fixed males -- one is 12 -- and neither have ever marked anything. The old guy sometimes misses the box, but that's more about aim ;).

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #5  
I tend to think the females are better mousers, but you can avoid the male cats pissing all over the place if you get them fixed at an early age. We have two fixed males -- one is 12 -- and neither have ever marked anything. The old guy sometimes misses the box, but that's more about aim ;).
No box for mine. $12 Kitty door in the side of the barn and they are good to go.

Chris

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #6  
I feed and water them little guys. Poison and antifreeze in one of the compartments. The other day I used the ex. to hold logs while bucking them up for firewood and one committed suicide jumping out onto the tracks! Sad.:D:D

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #7  
For me, nuttin' like the cheap old traps and a little peanut butter. With poison, all they seem to do is move it around and hide it in my shoes. With these traps, if you don't check on them very often it's not a huge deal, just throw the whole thing away. They almost give them away in certain stores.

I have a sonic box and it doesn't do anything. I set some poison right next to it and the poison was gone ant the sonic box was still using up my electricity. But I understand there are some that electrocute the mice as they walk through.

I had good luck with these rectangular boxes with wind up spring paddles inside. As mice walk in, the paddle pushes them into a different compartment where they can't get out. But unless you check them often, you have a stinky, gooey mess.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #8  
Working cats. Take care of the mice keep the birds out of the barn The best is that the food and vet bills can be deducted off your tax. Get em fixed before you let them in the barn.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #9  
My particular problem is the engine compartment on my mini excavator.
The mice are chewing the insulation and building nest. All equipment is now indoors on concrete. Do those sonic plug in devices work? Don't really like poison because of dogs and kids.
Thanks

Good luck, dealing with that in a pickup truck. Clean, clean, clean some more. Leave traps any time you aren't using it. This summer I will put an antifreeze trap under it. Don't care if I kill every rodent withing a mile radius at this point.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #10  
I too have had issues with mice, both in my shed with my riding mower and in my motorhome.

Cats work, but not in MH

Sonic noise makers..NG
Peppermint oil........Nope
Dryer sheets....Good nest material

Snap traps.............:thumbsup:
D-Con...................:thumbsup:

Something I did with my mower was leave the hood up and the air filter off. They like closed areas to nest, so taking that away seemed to work.