Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent?

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #11  
Use this mouse trap....works really well. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWoTwXxO1Y&feature=related]5 Gallon Bucket Mouse Trap - YouTube[/ame]

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent?
Thanks for the tips. I will try the 5 gallon bucket trap for now.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #13  
Thanks for the tips. I will try the 5 gallon bucket trap for now.

I have not had good luck using them for mice but they work perfectly for Chipmonks... I was over run with them and that cleaned them out.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #14  
I have tried everything and the best thing I did was finally get 2 barn cats 3 years ago. I tried all kind of stuff but nothing worked.

I hated cats before but then tried one. It ran off. Tried one again and it got killed. Finally was told by a old timer to get 2 and that was the fix. They entertain each other, cost about $10 per 2 months on a bag of food, and keep my stuff nice.

I hate male cats (Toms), they pizz on everything. I only get females and get them fixed when they were 4 months old. (they can get pregnant at 5-6 months). Cost $35 at the clinic here in town to get them fixed and all shots.

Chris

Wow you are just all heart. :laughing:

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #15  
Use this mouse trap....works really well. 5 Gallon Bucket Mouse Trap - YouTube

This worked well for me. I set one up in my barn 2 winters ago. I put water in it and of course it froze, so i was think about putting about 1.5" of anti frezze in it. Of course if you have aminals, dogs, cats that run around i would stick with water.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #16  
I have cats and old socks filled with moth balls. I tie them inside the engine compartments of stored equipment. Smells like crap but that keeps the critters from making nests.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #17  
Barn cats work the best, and may only cost you $10 bucks a month, but if you feed them too much they just lay around and get fat. just water and the barn for shelter. females make the best mousers, the males are looking for something else. I tend to be like the males too, always lookin' for sumthin' else
LOL
david

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #18  
Someone here on a thread I started a while back suggested eraving the hood of my tractor open( i keep it in a cover-it shed ), I do that and have an array(4) of snap traps and glue traps on the battery and a few other popular mouse areas. I also built 2 -6' long x1' high and 1' wide plywood boxes with 6-8 mouse size holes in each with a hinged lid. I keep one on each side of the tractor and have multiple snap traps in them, and have had several kills. I also made it part of my routine to walk around the tractor every night and look for signs of nest building. It may be overkill but I couldnt afford any mouse damage at this point.........

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #19  
This worked well for me. I set one up in my barn 2 winters ago. I put water in it and of course it froze, so i was think about putting about 1.5" of anti frezze in it. Of course if you have aminals, dogs, cats that run around i would stick with water.

In the winter (or even year round) you can put used motor oil in the bucket about 4-5" deep. Won't freeze and they stay there. They also don't stink.

/ Keeping mice out of equipment...best deterrent? #20  
Funny, my cat works great here in Barrington, NH.

She even brings me the half dead mouse to admire.

I take them away for disposal, she gets a kitty treat each time she brings me one.