Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #11  
Your torpedo heater will run just fine on #1. It will actually run cleaner on #1 than #2. I run #1 in my salamander heater, it would run on #2 as well. Price varies in my area. Sometimes I use K-1 kerosene (clear) or #1 diesel (#1 diesel is labeled as kerosene on the pump).
Currently, #1 kerosene at the truck stop pump behind the store is .20 more per gallon than the K1 kerosene pump at the front of the store.
I also have a Miller mobile home furnace in my garage that I run on K-1 kerosene. My torpedo runs on K1 or #1 fuel oil as the tag says.

Attachments

• Garage Heater.JPG
    Garage Heater.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Salamander.JPG
    Salamander.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 709
  • Torpedo.JPG
    Torpedo.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 810
   / Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #12  
Your torpedo heater will run just fine on #1. It will actually run cleaner on #1 than #2. I run #1 in my salamander heater, it would run on #2 as well. Price varies in my area. Sometimes I use K-1 kerosene (clear) or #1 diesel (#1 diesel is labeled as kerosene on the pump).
Currently, #1 kerosene at the truck stop pump behind the store is .20 more per gallon than the K1 kerosene pump at the front of the store.
I also have a Miller mobile home furnace in my garage that I run on K-1 kerosene. My torpedo runs on K1 or #1 fuel oil as the tag says.

I just went out to the barn and read the tags on all 3 of mine. My 55k unit is labeled as a multi fuel, my 35k and 160k heaters are not. But they both say in fine print on the warning label to use Kerosene or #1 fuel oil. I use mostly #1 diesel in mine for the last 15 years or so and I can't detect any more odor than I do when using kerosene.:cool::cool::cool:

There is a little puff of smoke on start up when the burner is cold but once it is running it pretty much odor free. My little heater is pretty sensitive to the operating pressure adjustment screw and I had to fine tune it to get the most complete combustion. :D:D

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #13  
I've used the same mix that I use in our tractors, been using that since 1995 still running great. No problems, but like the others say have good ventilation.

I've got a White propane furnace in the back of my shop that that thing will melt your clothes at 5'. I use it when I am working in a closed area.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #14  
I have a garage I always use my heater in. I always use diesel since I keep some on hand for my tractor. Never noticed any smell from it. I was going to be working on finishing my basement which was unheated at the time. I decided to get some kerosene since I would be working in the house. I immediately noticed the smell and my wife started complaining within 5 minutes that I was stinking up the upstairs. I opened the downstairs doors and aired everything out while I drained the tank ane refueled with diesel. Never smelled it again or had any complaints from the wife after that. Diesel is cheaper also.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #15  
I have a garage I always use my heater in. I always use diesel since I keep some on hand for my tractor. Never noticed any smell from it. I was going to be working on finishing my basement which was unheated at the time. I decided to get some kerosene since I would be working in the house. I immediately noticed the smell and my wife started complaining within 5 minutes that I was stinking up the upstairs. I opened the downstairs doors and aired everything out while I drained the tank ane refueled with diesel. Never smelled it again or had any complaints from the wife after that. Diesel is cheaper also.

I've got to try the diesel in mine, especially with this new ULSD stuff it must be pretty clean.

I get a pretty strong smell with the K1 so I figured diesel would be worse, like some in this thread mentioned. It would be easier to not have to store another fuel type, I also keep diesel stored for tractors, obviously.

Worse than the smell is the loud sound, that will drive you up the wall.

jb.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #16  
Try the diesel and let me know. Someone said the diesel would be worse but not in my experience. Curious about others experience trying both.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #17  
As far as OP question, as has been said, the winter blend would probably be better being "thinned" for lower pour point.

I've got a 110,000 btu unit, mine doesn't say it's multi fuel, Would like to burn diesel, K1 is 1-2 bucks more a gallon and not always easy to find for me.
Is it commonly accepted that any kero burner can substitute diesel?

Looking at the picture, it does just say oil fired, not kero?

JB.

Looking at your pic and some back ground investigation it looks like Dayton is produced by Desa the same company that makes Reddy heaters. My Reddy heater is multi fuel and will run on almost any lite oil. More then likely you will be able to burn diesel just fine but the emission will be higher then with 1-K. I have found regular red dyed kero locally to produce the highest emission. I currently am running on #2 heating oil since I have a bunch of it. ULSD burns cleaner then even heating oil in my heater. Find the model number of your heater and see if you can verify what it can run on. I know the John Deere heater Desa also produces can run multi fuel as well. Reddy heater parts may be able to clarify for you and if need be sell you a different nozzle for your heater so you can run multi fuel.

Reddy Heater Parts Sales..Online..Mr, & Reddy Heater Parts, Master Heater Parts, Pearl Abrasive Hexplates and Pearl Abrasive Hexpins, Stow mortar Mixers, Stow concrete mixers, Stow plaster mixers, Stow mixers for construction, stow mixers for residen

John Deere Home & Workshop Products: Kerosene Fired (125,000 BTU/per hr., 1/5 HP)

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #18  
I just called the place I get my kero, I thought I might be mixed up calling what I'm using K1 since it is red now.
But they told me it is K-1 with red dye in it. $3.50 a gallon today, it had been close to or over 5 bucks last year.

I'm on my last tank full of kero now so I'll look again at the manual and see if it doesn't expressly say not to burn anything other than kero. I should get a chance to try diesel in the next week or so.

The great thing about these things is you can use them like they do at football games and heat the out doors. My buddy was using his outside when working on his truck, I thought he was crazy but it definitely helps you not be as cold as without any heat.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #19  
These heaters like a lighter fuel like K1 or D1, but will function fine on D2. Smell can be an issue though with heavier fuels. Myself, I'd like to see one that can burn about 50% biodiesel blend. I tried with mine w/o success although my Reddy 100k has been a bit tempermental as of late.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #20  
I wonder how things have changed since the world has gone to all ULSD. I would think that off-road would be ideal since around here it's at least $.90 cheaper than road Diesel and IDK how much cheaper than Kero.