Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #21  
With these types of heaters ultimately your breathing in that fuel. Use the cleanest stuff you can afford and crack a door open.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #22  
Good morning folks....

I've recently bought some heaters... As it's pretty cold in my shop lately.

First... I bought a smudge pot to burn off my old used oils, peanut oil, etc. Wow... they work amazing, but you can't put these inside anything. My shop isn't insulated and is surely not closed up (full of open areas)... I'd still not use the smudge pot in the shop, as it's often billowing black smoke if it's not completely lit. None the less, a great source to burn off old oils (and not dispose of them illegally or have to drive "into town" to only be told 1-2gal per visit).

Second... I now have two torpedo heaters. One of them says it's a tri-fuel. Kerosene, Diesel, or Jet-A. The other, says it's Kerosene or Diesel #1. In the tri-fuel heater... I've been burning red-dye diesel in the shop and it's working great. No issues... burns hot, and no (visible) smoke. Ran about 5gal through it since the shop was 36 degrees a couple weeks ago.

My question is... can I burn the red dye diesel in my heater that says "diesel #1 or kerosene"? All that I read, it seems I can... and even there's those who are mixing 4/1 diesel/gas (I'm not, as I've seen gas do bad things burning off the vapor!)... But it makes me wonder... I mean, I can't see the big differences in diesel 1 and 2... or what my prolonged issues could be. Am I missing something??? Is the label or recommendation on the heater more or less a "safeguard" from the manufacturer? Not sure I should be too worried about the differences of diesel 1 or 2... but, that's why I'm asking you'all.

(I keep red-dye on hand to run in my skid steer. So, to be able to safely and effectively run it in my heaters is a great convenience - hence the questions. Hoping to not have to keep a 3rd fuel on hand JUST for this second shop heater)

Thanks in advance. Happy Monday!!! ;)

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #23  
My space bullet heater says diesel or kerosene and I've been using #2 dyed diesel since new. Its 135,000 BTU and burns clean. Going on 5 years now. I also use it in my tractor and home heating. If dyed diesel works for you I'd continue to use it. I would NEVER mix gasoline in with diesel. I know some who would mix it for a burn pile but too much risk involved for bad things to happen.

Note that since my post #11 I have purchased a different heater that burns #2 dyed diesel. My old one died so went to a larger heater and it's more convenient since I get my #2 home heating oil delivered.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #24  
never burn Diesel or fuel oil indoors, though.. too much harmful emissions..

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #25  
My space bullet heater says diesel or kerosene and I've been using #2 dyed diesel since new. Its 135,000 BTU and burns clean. Going on 5 years now. I also use it in my tractor and home heating. If dyed diesel works for you I'd continue to use it. I would NEVER mix gasoline in with diesel. I know some who would mix it for a burn pile but too much risk involved for bad things to happen.

Note that since my post #11 I have purchased a different heater that burns #2 dyed diesel. My old one died so went to a larger heater and it's more convenient since I get my #2 home heating oil delivered.

Thanks George!!!

The 60K BTU heater is a multi-fuel and what I've been burning #2 dyed diesel in.... however, I bought a new/used 75k BTU heater last night that says "kerosene or diesel #1" on the label. Hence my question, about burning #2 dyed diesel in it, and if it's "okay to do so".

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #26  
never burn Diesel or fuel oil indoors, though.. too much harmful emissions..

Kind of obvious statement I'd think.

"My shop" would NOT be considered "indoors" by any means.
... more like a wind tunnel on breezy days. 1200 sq ft of concrete floor with at least 500 sq ft of open air areas around the roof line and above the big entry door.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #27  
My heaters are the multi-fuel #1, #2, fuel oil or diesel or kerosene.
I have noticed a touch more fumes at times with #2 fuels,
I have had it quite and refuse to start on #2 when it is real cold,
blended fuel and or winterized or #1 doesn't have that problem.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #28  
I run my torpedo off kerosene rather than diesel so its cleaner burning. I dont use it in the barn often, but that's where I mostly use it. I've got a carbon monoxide & explosive gas detector in the barn & on the other side in the shop. The barn at least is leaky/ventilated enough the detector has never gone off. Even then I can get a hair of a headache. Between that & cost due to it sucking down fuel means I dont use it often.

Red diesel is just diesel with red dye in it to indicate no road taxes have been paid. It can be used anywhere diesel can that the law wont get upset for you not paying road taxes.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #29  
I run my torpedo off kerosene rather than diesel so its cleaner burning. I dont use it in the barn often, but that's where I mostly use it. I've got a carbon monoxide & explosive gas detector in the barn & on the other side in the shop. The barn at least is leaky/ventilated enough the detector has never gone off. Even then I can get a hair of a headache. Between that & cost due to it sucking down fuel means I dont use it often.

Red diesel is just diesel with red dye in it to indicate no road taxes have been paid. It can be used anywhere diesel can that the law wont get upset for you not paying road taxes.
good insulation will reduce the fuel use!..

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #30  
good insulation will reduce the fuel use!..
The barn is well ventilated & that will never change. The shop is attached & has a dual layer metal roof & 2 inches of foam on the roof. It's often 10 degrees different between the 2 halves because of the extra insulation with no heat.

I've got a wood fireplace & gas furnace in the shop to get hooked up. They wont help working on the tractor in the barn half when it's cold though. Not a big deal as I only need to work on it occasionally in the cold.