kill ALGAE in diesel fuel

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #1  

wvgca

Bronze Member
Tractor
massey, 2705, belarus 652, coop E3
trying to figure out what to use to kill algae in diesel fuel ... this is in a massey 2705 tank [no algae in slip tank] .... the tank does not come off readily as far as i can tell, and this is the only plastic tank on the place ..... i know i will have to blow out the fuel line, clean the transfer pump screen, and change both main fuel filters ,,,
i am in canada and my options are limited, the one option [kill'em] no longer shows on ebay, or on amazon...
what else can i pour in, ?? the tractor gets used very little

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #2  
Technically it's a bacteria, not algae. But everybody calls it algae.

Killing off the stuff is only part of the problem. All the goop will remain in the tank to plug things up even after you kill it. Draining the tank & sucking everything out might be enough.

"Diesel biocide" will be the magic term to search for. Personally I use Power Service Bio Kleen Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide - Power Service in my big 300 gallon & couple of smaller tanks. Never had a problem even with it taking a year or so to go through the tank. I'd rather waste money on a biocide than waste my time & fuel cleaning tanks. There are other brands that should perform similarly. The other big thing is keep water out of the fuel, that's generally the catalyst to start the microbes growing.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #3  
Unfortunately you live in Canada; here in Aus I would highly recommend "Fuel Doctor" as a diesel biocide... not only does it kill the biological growth but it then breaks the growth down to such microscopic levels so that it will pass through the filter(s) to be burnt up in the engine. Fantastic stuff and I use it all the time. It's not available in NA (some nefarious people tried to rip-off the producer when they tried to enter the NA market).

What your're going to have to do is immediately give a full dose of whatever diesel biocide you're going to use (you could ask what a transport/construction company uses) and let it sit for 24hrs. Then you can drain the tank. Using CHUX (J-Cloth) on the end of a long, mechanical 'grabber' (easily found at an auto-shop) you can wipe the inside of the tank... the dead growth will look like a brown sludge.

Do all of the other things that you suggest (fuel line/TX screen/filters) and then fill the tank with fresh diesel AND more diesel biocide. Charge and run the system.

To prevent this happening again, try and keep the tank full of diesel AND continue using the recommended dosage of biocide.

Note: the company will ship "Fuel Doctor" to NA, but the shipping pretty much doubles the price.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #4  
Biobor JF Diesel

biobor-jf-diesel-bottle.png

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #5  
We had good luck with Bio Kleen Biocide. Dad had issues with his MF383 and that worked to clear it up.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #6  
Boat owners seem to have more trouble than tractor owners, and there's a fair choice in most marine outlets.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #7  
If it is a severe case, which it usually is before it causes enough problems to require attention.
What I have done is use the chosen biocide dosed at the required rates ( then usually and extra splash),
let it sit after stirring or agitating it in the tank.
Then the pain in the butt process starts,
using an inexpensive in line fuel pump and a good filter drop a suction line in the tank with the return line pushed as far as possible to the far end of the tank and start filtering the fuel, replacing the filter as necessary it will take quite a while to flush all the contamination out of the tank.

Then after it is cleaned up and working again it will be necessary to continue the biocide treatment for a long time,plastic tanks seem harder to completely stop the process then steel does.

You can often get by replacing your existing filter often and or adding a secondary filter in first to prefilter before your expensive filter.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #8  
Not all fuel filters are created equal. Check the micron rating.

What micron rating would be needed to filter out fungus particles?

Last edited:
   / kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #9  

Yup.....Biobor is great stuff, and is usually available at marine supply stores.
West Marine sells it, but they closed their Canada stores.

The OP might look for Biobor in a Canada marine supply store.
Best idea might be to try to have the local Home Hardware store order it.
Perhaps also check with a Canadian Tire store.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #10  
One of our standby generators at work was loaded with algae, I told the guy to get a couple liters of biocide after cleaning the system and filling it with fresh fuel, dump some in. He tells me you can't buy it in Canadastan???why the he77 not???, must be scared we're going to drink it I guess, ridiculous. So what are we supposed to use to get rid of/prevent algae growth?...............Mike