kill ALGAE in diesel fuel

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel
I found Biobor JF on ebay, went and ordered it ... eight ounces [treats 640 gallons] for US 21.11 with a ship cost of US 12.25 ...
I do have a ATF pump with two micron filters that I can sacrifice for this, and just let it pump for a while ..

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #12  
Not all fuel filters are created equal. Check the micron rating.

What micron rating would be needed to filter out fungus particles?

Modern common-rail injection systems normally have a much better filter at around 2 microns (vs 10+ microns) because the high pressure pumps need more protection. The size of one bactorial cell is about 2 microns.

Today's High Performance Fuel Filters: Historically Good

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #13  
One of our standby generators at work was loaded with algae, I told the guy to get a couple liters of biocide after cleaning the system and filling it with fresh fuel, dump some in. He tells me you can't buy it in Canadastan???why the he77 not???, must be scared we're going to drink it I guess, ridiculous. So what are we supposed to use to get rid of/prevent algae growth?...............Mike

I'm no expert, just thinking out loud. If you can't get the biocide, then my next guess would be to get a fuel treatment that removes water, like Stabil Diesel All Season. My assumption, again not an expert, if you can remove the water and keep the water removed it will cause the growth to greatly slow and possibly die off.

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #14  
.......that removes water, l......
You're right in that it's the water that provides the medium for the algae to grow in, no water, no algae. Problem with treatments such as Hawes, Stabil and similar is that they emulsify the water, i.e. they allow it to mix with the fuel, not remove it and it gets burnt with the fuel. Water going thru diesel HP pumps is not good.
I do use Hawes fuel treatment but I use it for the added lubricity because of the ULSD, not the water treatment part. I figure if I keep my fuel full I won't have any water problems so I'll take a chance on my fuel being water free and use Hawes for added lubricant. I was after a biocide just for insurance......Mike

I already have got some Biobor, just waiting for the road to open up to the farm, a mile and half is plugged ..

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #17  
One of our standby generators at work was loaded with algae, I told the guy to get a couple liters of biocide after cleaning the system and filling it with fresh fuel, dump some in. He tells me you can't buy it in Canadastan???why the he77 not???, must be scared we're going to drink it I guess, ridiculous. So what are we supposed to use to get rid of/prevent algae growth?...............Mike

Last biocide I bought was from a New Holland dealer, Case labelled product IIRC (dealership change back then).

Been a few years since I've bought some, but I have trouble imagining it not being on the shelf at pretty much every Ag or Construction equipment dealer. These issues are an even bigger deal with ULSD, so it's not like we can do without.

Your fuel supplier should have some too, though if our transport regs have escalated far enough, you may have to go pick it up from them.

Rgds, D.

I couldn's get it in canada, not at fuel dealers, nor at Case or JD .. I finally got it on ebay, from a boating dealer in New York, price was [I thought] reasonable .. it came in fairly quickly, no hassle or fees at customs ..

/ kill ALGAE in diesel fuel #19  
I couldn's get it in canada, not at fuel dealers, nor at Case or JD .. I finally got it on ebay, from a boating dealer in New York, price was [I thought] reasonable .. it came in fairly quickly, no hassle or fees at customs ..

Are you talking about that particular brand, or any type of biocide ?

Rgds, D.

I couldn't get ANY brand of biocide [specifically to kill algae], from local fuel / farm equipment dealers ... I'm in a small town of about 20,000 population ....
That particular brand I couldn't find in canada [just from using ebay and search engines], but I did find it in the US