Kill Switch?

/ Kill Switch? #21  
When you jumped the terminals you were shorting the large terminal to the small one on the solenoid. the large terminal is directly hooked to your battery + terminal. since the starter spun I believe something between your key switch and solenoid has come loose or broken. You may need to get a friend that can use a multi meter to help find first if voltage is getting from the key switch to the start switch to the safety interlock switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. This can be dangerous if the tractor is not in neutral. A safer way is to disconnect the battery and use an ohm meter to look for continuity thru each switch and between them until it is traced all the way to the solenoid. Very glad to hear there's no major structural damage.

/ Kill Switch? #22  
Does this tractor have a PTO switch? If it does make sure the PTO lever is completely OFF. Mine, I found out the hard way after a similar sudden killing the engine, has a sweet spot between that the saftey start is not engaged but PTO is not on.

/ Kill Switch? #23  
You have been so much help. Yep it started with the screw driver but not the key. It has a bunch of relays like 4-5. Foton owners manuals are terrible so I have little in the way of mapping. All the fuses on it are for the lights and one for the fuel heater. When you say voltage at the solenoid... I don't understand? When I crossed the poles on it, sparked and allowed the starter to run with the key so there must be power to it?
Thank you for your, and others help too. I'm close to getting it.

There are two wires going into the solenoid. The fat one is connected directly to the battery, it should have electricity all the time. The skinny one is connected to the key switch. When electricity is applied to the skinny one it energizes an electromagnet in the solenoid, which pushes closed a switch, which connects the fat wire to the starter motor and the starter motor turns. (The reason for this is you wouldn't want to run that fat wire under your dashboard).

The problem you're having is that when you turn the key, electricity isn't flowing to that skinny wire. Somewhere along its path something is broken, could be a wire, a fuse or a switch. You need to find that break. To do that you need some way of detecting the presence or absence of electricity. A voltmeter -- which you can get at any hardware store for less than $20 -- works, or even a 12V light. Then start at one end and follow the path of the electricity -- battery, fusebox, key switch, clutch switch, solenoid -- and find the thing that has electricity on one side of it and lacks it on the other. It doesn't sound like your battery or your solenoid, so it's the fuse, the key switch or the clutch switch, or one of the wires connecting them has gotten pinched.

/ Kill Switch?
Thanks all, and I'll let you all know when I get it fixed. Blowing thirty here with a -20 wc to night. I don't think the Rhino will clear the drifys. Might have break out the screw driver again.:)

/ Kill Switch? #25  
Gibber,
Let's see if you are getting voltage to the Solenoid through the key switch.
1. connect a volt meter or circuit tester (the thing that looks like a pointed screwdriver and has a wire with a clip on the end) to that small wire on the solenoid. On my Jinma 284 it is a red wire labeled #11. Attach the circuit tester wire to a ground point.
2. Have your son step on the clutch and turn the key to the start position. What does the volt meter or circuit tester show?
RonJ

/ Kill Switch?
Fellas, I hit so hard the the log chain I have behind the seat came forward and turn the PTO on. One of you guys told me to check it! Thanks for all your help!