Killing hornets/wasps

/ Killing hornets/wasps #31  
I'd get rid of that nest asap. If there is any brood still viable and any foraging wasps return, then you could be in for a surprise...

Pop it with the pellet gun and if there is no response get rid of the nest now. I prefer to burn them to be sure...

/ Killing hornets/wasps #32  
I used to encounter lots until I started putting out traps very early in the spring to catch the queens. I also pre-spray their favorite spots up in the eaves. The rest of the summer I just look for the nests and spray them in the evenings. Dramatically reduces the numbers.

/ Killing hornets/wasps
I'd get rid of that nest asap. If there is any brood still viable and any foraging wasps return, then you could be in for a surprise...

Pop it with the pellet gun and if there is no response get rid of the nest now. I prefer to burn them to be sure...

You bet sidecarist! I've instantly developed a hate for those nasty critters... just about the time I got 10 painful stings by them the other day. As you suggested, I'll knock down that hive, stomp it, and burn it. I will have my revenge!

/ Killing hornets/wasps #34  
Here in East Texas, I think I have just about every type of wasp and hornet out there. By far, the very worse is the Mahogany Wasp. They are pretty much everywhere, but mostly they love the heat of the attic and you find them on the eaves of a house. During the morning when it's still cool out, they are fairly docile, but once it warms up, they become aggressive. As a contractor that does remodels for a living, I have to deal with them fairly often. I've tried every brand of wasp spray out there and haven't found a single one that will kill them. They will all knock them down, and then you have to step on them quickly to kill them, or they fly away. I rarely see the next since it's inside a small opening in the house, so I just spray the entire can into it and kill what comes out and hope that whats left leaves on their own. This usually works, but it's not 100%. If I can find the nest, saturating it with the spray works better then anything else.

I've been trying to find something to spray on my house and gazebo's that will deter them from building nests. I've been reading labels for awhile now and have never found one that specifically lists Mahogany Wasp's. Seems like all the others are fairly easy to kill, or deter, but not these devils!!!!

/ Killing hornets/wasps
Bonk! ANOTHER failure! I sure thought I had those devils cleared out yesterday. This morning I went out to cut off the tree that they'd built their kingdom on, and low and behold - they came out swarming all over the place.

What a disappointment. I finished off my second can of Raid on their sphere, but they just acted like it was some sort of skin lotion. So, I went back to the shop and filled up a sprayer with diesel, went back and soaked their hive down good. I have doubts that the diesel will kill them off, but at least it'll make it uncomfortable for them.

I may end up having to wait for a freeze to come along before I can do much about them. At least, I was able to identify them though. They're what is listed as bald faced black hornets, otherwise known as white faced hornets. Whatever they're called, they're a mean bunch of SOBs.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #37  
Does hairspray really work?

(I mean as a glue/irritant/poison; versus using it as a flame thrower to burn them out)

/ Killing hornets/wasps
The thing I worry about is all the poison in all of those sprays. Did you ever read the warning labels on them?

yeah, but I think I'm good. This little sprayer is on of those that you get Round-Up in. I've been using it a couple of years with just diesel in it for use when burning logs and limbs. But your caution is certainly noted. The last thing I'd want to do is to get Round-Up in my pond and kill of the perch and bass.

Those little 1 gallon Round-Up sprayers that you buy with Round-Up are really handy though. If I recall, it was difficult to open it up the first time. They aren't meant to be reused I'm sure. But, they're nice to keep around when you just need a little diesel or whatever and don't want to mix up a large quantity.

/ Killing hornets/wasps
Gone. GONE!!! Went back around lunch time. Saw one WF hornet buzzing around. Sprayed again with diesel. THEN... in my 12 year old mentality, I figured I needed to punch the nest with a long stick.

Found a 7' stick, albeit rotten, and whacked the nest real good. No sign of life. So, I took the opportunity to knock it down. After the required amount of stomping it, then re-spraying it with diesel, I struck a match to it. End of story.

(I'm sure that was the last I'll ever see of White Face Hornets?) (NOT)

/ Killing hornets/wasps #40  
Sure.... poison might work, but not as fun or satisfying as blasting the comb with a 12 gauge (w/ #6's or #8's) from close range, but far enough away it makes about a 5" hole straight through.
Repeat as necessary.
You beat me too it. That's what birdshot is for.....