King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage
Chainbender, it's been my experience that the two bolts in the picture above need to be somewhat loose to allow for limited flexing when the disc harrow is being pulled. I didn't read this in any of your posts, but it seems like maybe you are thinking these two bolts should always be tighted down as tight as you can get them? I think they should be a bit loose. Now, if they are loose, and you are having to loosen them even more to adjust the gang angles, then that is a problem. If the plates are too tight, maybe you could try adding a couple of fender washers under those plates? That should let you snug those two bolts up (but not all the way), yet still have some space in there to make it easy to adjust the gangs.

As for those two cleats that are welded too close together, maybe you could look at having two new plates made (with cleats) but have the cleats welded on so there is a little more distance in between them? One shouldn't have to do that on a brand new harrow, but you've already started down this path of fixing it yourself so that might be an option.

Honestly though, if you leave those two bolts a little loose and start using the harrow, the usual wear should start giving more clearance and make things a bit easier to adjust.

XXXXXXXX

I agree that the bolts need to be slightly loose. If they are tight that compresses the flanges into the adjustment/center rail and all movement ceases. But, if I loosen the existing bolts enough to allow movement, the bolt is too short and only runs about 1/2 way into the nut. That won't last long and the nut will work it's way off and be gone.

I've resolved the issue with a temporary fix. I think some nylon insert nuts should cure it now that I've moved the gangs out and put longer bolts in it. But I still reserve the right to say the wrong bolts/nuts are being used in the original configuration.

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #32  
XXXXXXXXXX

I'm new at buying implements and thought $1100 for a small 5' disc was a pretty high price. And I especially thought since it was the only disc sold at the Kubota dealership that is was pretty good quality.

I think I have figured it out myself and will cut, grind, hammer, beat and bang it into a condition acceptable to me and will assume all responsibility for my modifications. But with only a few moving parts, you'd think they would at least "move".

The dealership won't be open again until Tuesday. I have a heart cath scheduled for that day.

I'm better now. Maybe I should change the title to this thread to "misfit" instead of piece of garbage. Think I'll go try to do that now.

CB

Best of luck on the heart cath . We will have you in our prayers. Ken Sweet

Best of luck on the heart cath . We will have you in our prayers. Ken Sweet

XXXXXXXX

Thanks Ken. I appreciate the thought. Probably should sign up for an anger management class too! :eek:

CB

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #34  
Well, I'd consider myself ANYTHING but a Peacemaker on this forum.:laughing:

And KK , while they arent the absolute BEST money can buy, does have a pretty good reputation. And there was a rep for KK on here a few months ago as well.

I mean you NO disrespect when I say this, but the first posts you make on this forum is bashing a pretty good product name. Those of us that have been around here for awhile see it all the time. Some new guy signs up, has nothing but negatives to say about this brand or that brand. And 9 times out of 10, it is NOT the fault of the MFG.

And since you are new here, we really dont know you that well or your abilities with a tractor. You'd actually be supprised about how little some people know when they first buy a tractor. The kind of stuff that is just natural for most of us that grew up with it. Now if someone that has been around here awhile, with 1000+ posts, then I would have taken it a little more seriously. Again, no disrespect, but since you were new, I wasn't just going to sit by and let you bash a good company without knowing EXACTALLY what you were having issues with. That is why pictures are a MUST.

I think you understand now that this was clearly NOT KK's fault, and you know who to blame. I am glad we were able to resolve your issues the best we could. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies Shooter "Its about evidence and finding the truth"...or something like that.

It does IMO look like a very well built disk. I doubt you will ever be able to tear it up with a L3200. I hope we didnt beat you up too bad and you stick around here for awhile and post often. It really is an addicting forum.

And good luck on tuesday with the heart cath. Like Ken said, our prayers are with you.

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #35  
XXXXXXXX

Thanks Ken. I appreciate the thought. Probably should sign up for an anger management class too! :eek:

CB

We all have days when things don't go right. I had one Friday. The electricity was out part of the day and that had the computers down. I could have said a bad word, if I had not restrained myself :) Ken Sweet

I understand your postition and can't/won't argue with it. Usually cooler heads prevail. Mine was far from cool yesterday.

I guess I was so upset I couldnt see the obvious problems (other than myself). I never for a minute thought it needed to be "serviced" before it could be properly used. I also couldn't imagine having to tote around a 12" crescent wrench and a 15/16" box wrench to adjust the set on the gangs. Granted it should have been taken care of at the dealership. I'll have a long discussion with the salesman Wed while we stand and look at one just like mine sitting on the back lot. Maybe he'll see my point and donate some 5" grade 5 bolts and nuts to the cause.

I was wrong, I admitted it on national TV. Sorry to stir up so much commotion. I haven't been disrespected, just shown the error of my ways.

Again, my bad.

Lee

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #37  
XXXXXXXX

CB

No, you just need to drop your membership from the "Jump the Gun" club! :laughing:

Seriously, good luck with the heart cath too.

We had a guy at work that had one done a couple weeks ago, he was in his early 40's and never suspected he had a heart problem. However, after the procedure he had some upper back pain that magically went away. He always attributed the back pain to something else. You never know, just need to watch for all the little warning signs.

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #38  
Chain,
Glad to hear you're getting it in working order. It does sound like longer bolts and nylon lock nuts will make for a better arrangement.
When you go to use it, you might want to add more weight on it for better penetration too. I add a couple hundred pounds on top of the frame of my disk to cut in the soil or sod much quicker on the initial passes. It's more wieght to deal with but I like the results better.

/ King Kutter disc is a piece of garbage #39  
I understand your postition and can't/won't argue with it. Usually cooler heads prevail. Mine was far from cool yesterday.

I guess I was so upset I couldnt see the obvious problems (other than myself). I never for a minute thought it needed to be "serviced" before it could be properly used. I also couldn't imagine having to tote around a 12" crescent wrench and a 15/16" box wrench to adjust the set on the gangs. Granted it should have been taken care of at the dealership. I'll have a long discussion with the salesman Wed while we stand and look at one just like mine sitting on the back lot. Maybe he'll see my point and donate some 5" grade 5 bolts and nuts to the cause.

I was wrong, I admitted it on national TV. Sorry to stir up so much commotion. I haven't been disrespected, just shown the error of my ways.

Again, my bad.

Lee

Well, I really hope you stick around the forum for awhile.

You were wrong, you knew it, and admitted it. It takes a big man to do that. That is saying something for you. And I have a whole lot more respect for you and people like you who can admit when they are wrong, which isn't easy to do sometimes. We all have our bad days and jump to conclusions too often. but is is how we act once we cool down a bit that tells of the kind of person you are.

If your dealer is a good dealer, they will make it right with you and may supply you with the bolts. Maybe they were like you and honestly didn't know there was any set-up required. At least this may be a learning experience for them that way the next customers don't have to go through the trouble that you had to.

Chain,
Glad to hear you're getting it in working order. It does sound like longer bolts and nylon lock nuts will make for a better arrangement.
When you go to use it, you might want to add more weight on it for better penetration too. I add a couple hundred pounds on top of the frame of my disk to cut in the soil or sod much quicker on the initial passes. It's more wieght to deal with but I like the results better.

XXXXXXXXXX

Some of the stuff I' trying to cut-in has never been turned over in the 150+ years that the proprety has been in the family. My dad has finally turned over the reigns at the age of 89 and I intend to clean up the property lines and old fence rows while I'm still able.

I've got 12 old sub ballast weights I use for added weight around the house. They're lead and only 4X4X12 roughly. They average 51#. I'll have to build a frame on the disc to lay them in. That shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of honeysuckle vines and stuff growing around/over the old fence rows, so that's going to be a tuff cut-in. Hope to get the initial discing done before I have my left knee replaced late this month. So much to do and so little time left to get it done before I have the surgery. I need to bush hog down through the pines since we burned them last week. We finally had a good rain last night to wash down the ashes a little. Hope to get started one day this week.

My dad's old disc is so heavy we had to weld three 30" pieces of railroad iron onto the front bumper to keep the front end on the ground when the disc was raised. His old 135 has served him well since 1972. Hope my Kubota lasts me that long.