Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #1  

rslaughter88

Tractor
Kioti CK20
My Kioti CK20 RWD recently starting slipping when under a load. It is hydrostatic. I pulled a load of manure up a long hill to spread on our farm, shut the tractor down to work on the manure spreader (something always breaks when I'm crunched for time), fixed the spreader, but when I went to go back out to the field as I was climbing a very small incline, the drive would just cut out. I had to put it in 4WD to pull the manure spreader up any incline. Later I put a grader blade on and tried doing some earth moving with it with the same result; as soon as I would start to grab a little bit of earth with the blade the RWD would just drop out, as if all the pressure had been released. I'm looking for some pointers on what I should check. I have atleast checked the fluid; levels are at their optimum amount. I'm concerned I have blown a seal or burned up the pump. Thanks for any help.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #2  
Not sure what "just drop out" means. but when was the clutch pedal last adjusted?

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #3  
So, if I understand correctly, the forward movement slips, cuts out, or drops out in RWD but if you put in in 4WD, it will pull the load? If it pulls the load in 4wd, the hydrostatic tranny must be transmitting power to the drive line but apparently not fully to the rear wheels.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #4  
Sounds like you may have a bad final drive or differential in the rear try it again with the differential lock engaged but not 4wd if it doesn't slip then your problem is on one side from the differential out. Probably have a stripped spline somewhere. Any metal filings in the transmission oil?

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load
You are correct in your understanding VictorW.

jabelding I will try your suggestions. I have not looked at transmission oil, only to check the level. I was planning to change oil and filter this weekend.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #6  
... I was planning to change oil and filter this weekend.

Fix your mechanical problem first. If you actually broke any gears/splines/etc., you'll need to change oil again after the repair.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #7  
I just wanted to clarify because I can't remember a member posting a rear diff or axle failure in the past 12 some years. The back end is pretty tough but I guess anything can happen. I have to agree with don't change your hydro oil until you figure out the problem. The hydro trans is transmitting power so new oil and filters won't help. At least working on the rear axle is easier than splitting the tractor for the hydro and should be a less expensive repair. It sure does sound like you lost the splines on one of the axle shafts or cracked a spider gear in the differential or stripped it's splines. It's hard to tell until you pull off one axle housing to take a look.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #8  
FWIW, the Kioti dealer told me I could drain fluid and use cheese cloth to remove machine fines and reuse the same fluid.
(I had a 3PH arms that were drooping slowly and wanted me to clean up fluid to see if anything was getting caught in the hyd. system)

So maybe something to consider if your pulling and axles to inspect splines. Kindah help reduce fluid costs.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load
Sounds like you may have a bad final drive or differential in the rear try it again with the differential lock engaged but not 4wd if it doesn't slip then your problem is on one side from the differential out. Probably have a stripped spline somewhere. Any metal filings in the transmission oil?

I tried again with differential lock engaged. The left tire spun but the right tire did not.

/ Kioti CK20 RWD slipping under load #10  
When you engaged the differential lock and tried it, was that with engine power or you turning the wheel by hand? If by hand, the left side is bad. If you were able to spin the left tire with engine power, then the right is bad. Time to open it up and see what broke. Do you have a parts manual? It makes things easier to see all the parts. If not, try the parts finder at Home Michigan Iron & Equipment Morrice, MI (855) 265-459 to get an idea what you're looking at.