kioti dk55 front end problems

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #21  
I surely would be concerned if there is a defect in my machine or in the sizing of the machine if I stripped out the front bevel gears at the wheel in 12 hours.

I know this is the failure that fans of straight knuckle planetary axles love to point at. I can't help but wonder if the gears were shimmed incorrectly or something like that?

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #22  
Hate to hear of your problems. We have not had any problems on the DK55 front axles, but have seen the inside of 1 DK45 but strongly believe that was customer caused. I would have your dealer inspect the front axle when replacing the parts, is it possible that debris from the one side made it to the next and jammed up the other side? Also once a gear jams it tends to put alot of stress on other componets of the axle which may have stress and caused the other side to break? Would diffentently pull the diff out and inspect. Remember these things are machines built by humans.... mahcines are color blind..... and this is the reason for a warranty. If more problems were to arrise I would press for a complete axle.....

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #23  
This question may point a huge, neon arrow at my lack of tractor mechanical knowledge, but here goes. I tend to think that the entire set of gears in the front end must be connected somehow for everything to work properly. Could the damage of one lead the damage of the other or both being damaged at the same time, just one failed before the other? Now again in less words. Couldn't/shouldn't both failures be related in the connection of front end gears? Again, I have no idea how these front ends are put together so I am prepared to be way wrong here....

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #24  
CT_Tree_Guy said: (Oh wait a minute, that's me) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<font color="blue"> One side? OK, it happens to the best of them. One side, and then the other side? That is a totally different story. What other gears (or other components) are on that tractor that were manufactured with the same poor standards? (You obviously know tractors, so I'm not about to assume that you abused the machine).
</font>

I'm going to do a little self-editing here and make the observation that, as a previous poster just alluded to, this really might just be one single problem that had a "ripple effect" that took out the other side.

And in the clear light of day, I can also see why Auto Union got totally PO'd with me about my "trouble, trouble and more trouble with this machine" comment. That was a very unscientific, and very biased, thing to say.

I'm sitting here turning this situation around in my head, thinking what my response would have been if this HAD been posted in the Kubota forum, and someone's L5030 had just experienced the same thing.

I know exactly what it would have been. "Hey, that has GOT to be a fluke. One in a million. Kubotas are very reliable, but things happen. Once you get it fixed, the odds of that happening again are astronomical; it'll be a great machine for you, you'll see."

All: please accept my apologies, and please substitute "Kioti" for "Kubota" in the preceding paragraph.

John

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #25  
I did not mean to imply that Kioti's warranty is meant to cover damage caused by misuse and abuse that was done in an effort to break the machine. I meant that a tractor is designed to be worked hard. During the warranty period is no time to skimp on the trials of the machine. If it is going to break due to normal use, you want it to break under warranty. Further, if it is going to break it will likely break early on as is the case with this front end.

A tractor is designed to be worked hard. Hard work and abuse is only seperated by a fine line and the line is different for everyone.

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #26  
The way the gears are connected shouldn't under use a normal operator cause damage on one side to be xfered to the other.

If one bevel and pinion at the wheel got damaged it can do 3 things:
-break free and spin
-jam up
-alternate between jammed / free until it stays in one state or the other

When jammed, the tire would drag and cause the opposite front tire to turn twice as fast.

When free you would have no 4wd as the shaft could spin freely inside.

The only failure I could see transfering to the other side is if the gear jammed while in 4wd on pavement and the operator tried to continue to make the machine go. There would be severe resistance and it would stall in high gear but could be made to move in low. The operator would see both front tires acting strange at this time.

It is possible for this to damage the other side.

Now, if the failure was in the center differential gears, things can get fun. Also if it is a big machine with a locking front diff you can cause so good breakage too.

Oh and btw, slamming a tractor on the front axle won't damage the bevel reduction gears directly, but may fracture the axle casting or break the kingpin off, but this is found quickly via oil leaking or wheel falling off. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This question may point a huge, neon arrow at my lack of tractor mechanical knowledge, but here goes. I tend to think that the entire set of gears in the front end must be connected somehow for everything to work properly. Could the damage of one lead the damage of the other or both being damaged at the same time, just one failed before the other? Now again in less words. Couldn't/shouldn't both failures be related in the connection of front end gears? Again, I have no idea how these front ends are put together so I am prepared to be way wrong here.... )</font>

/ kioti dk55 front end problems
Sure I am new, didn't know tbn even existed. Because of my problems, I started to look too see if others had anything like this. I had an older mid 80's 19-20 hp Kioti, no trouble. Not exactly sure what your point is. If you think I am coming on to throw mud on all Kioties, not so, I am having too much fun trying to keep 24 employees working. Thanks, gooseneck

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #28  
<font color="blue">I think it should suffice to say that these types of problems happen in all kinds of equipment. It is not terribly unusual to find the occasional bad run of something that is only discovered after sale. With replacement parts being installed, it is likely that the whole problem will not return.

There are many DK55's out there that have never had this problem, and there are some that have. Usually, repairing/replacing a defective piece with another that was probably not in the same lot resolves the problem and everything is hunky-dory afterward.

I think it highly unlikely that said tractor will have the same problems after the parts are replaced. It doesn't mean that anything else on the tractor will go bad </font>

i own a DK55 cab with nearly 500 hours in 17 months. this tractor is ABUSED by a never-owned-a-tractor-before farmer. i use it for haying, logging, snow removal, all aspects of farming, etc.

i have not had a single problem with this tractor in 450 hours. having said this, i should point out that i purchased this tractor when it was one of the units produced at the new plant. at hour 12 a pin worked itself free (connecting the gear shift to the tranny), rendering the tractor dead in the field. i envisioned a serious problem (in hind site, any problem that stops the tractor in the field is a BAD problem).

i realize that this is a minor issue compared to the front end issue raised in this thread, but i decided not to sell and run from the tractor.

glad i did.. it's served me extremely well in the 400+ hours i've used it since that issue.

pf

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you think I am coming on to throw mud on all Kioties, not so, I am having too much fun trying to keep 24 employees working. )</font>

Well yes that was my concern; it wouldn't have been the first time it's happened here. Not that, that excuses my behavior, it was really poor form on my part and I apologize. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif A bit of a rough start but I think you've come to the right place for help, lots of extremely knowledgeable people here on the TBN.

What's up with your dealer? It's seems your problem would warrant more attention then simply passing on a part.......or was that your desire? How far away are you from him/her?

Regards, Jamie

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #30  
Boy am I late on this post, and I admit I didn't read each and every post, but I thought I'd put in my two cents.

I bought my dk55c last year and work it very hard for someone that doesn't farm for a living - and I really love this tractor. I now have about 75 hrs. I've have a wr long grapple attachment that truly is fantastic - 7 ft bushhog, posthole diggers, chippers, finish mowers and other misc stuff. I've taken down a large barn, three good sized sheds and moved 5 or 6 huge piles of debris.

I have had many tractors and so has my Dad, brother, brother-in-laws, etc. I currently own two Kubotas, a sweet 801 ford diesel and my Kioti. My one brother-in-law (real 7 day a week farmer) has nothing orange - mostly green and a few blues - WHY? I asked him, He said because I can get a part in 24 hrs... so it looks like the green and blue break too.

I looked very carefully when buying and picked the best tractor for the $ hands down for my needs. I've had some problems, but nothing I couldn't handle, like other posts mention - tightening hydraulics, etc.

I'll let you know if anything major happens that seems out of character. I'm an engineer so I'm pretty hard on design flaws. I'm also open minded and fairly observant. Overall I'm reminded how Kubota was perceived years ago... we'll see how Kioti does over time, and I'll let you know how I'm doing at 100, 150, 200 hrs, which will be this year.