Mowing Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE???

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #81  
I dug around TBN the other day to see if there were any other issues with overheating on these. I found 3 other examples of them overheating very similar to the OP's. They were all having issues when mowing (PTO) for hours like the OP. It sounds like the tractor's PTO isn't designed to keep up with the rest of it's limits, for extended periods.

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #82  
   / Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #83  
If it truly was a kubota design, it wouldnt have failed :stirthepot: Unless they screwed something up when copying it.

Its no secret that I push my MX5100 pretty hard with a 8' hog. (not a 3000# one though). Engine temp gets pretty hot. Gotta keep the radiator clean as well as the HST cooler that is IN FRONT of the screen. But no part of the trans or rear end has ever been hot enough to boil. I'd think I'd notice that sitting right on top of all of that.

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #84  
QuadMaster50: Thank you for this heads up. We have a 2007 DK45 and had planned to do a little PTO work next year with an 84 inch tiller. I'll keep an eye on the temperature of rear axle and the fluid level. I'm sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing this.

Ovrszd; Three things:
1) After reading most of the Kioti posts on TBN for the last 8 years, I think Murphy is a very intelligent valuable contributor here, with a great sense of humor. Certainly not a "Troll".
2) Clearly you know your technical stuff, so thank you for your posts.
3) Please thank your friend with the large "harvesting operation" (looks like corn) for helping to feed my family!

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #85  
QuadMaster50: Thank you for this heads up. We have a 2007 DK45 and had planned to do a little PTO work next year with an 84 inch tiller. I'll keep an eye on the temperature of rear axle and the fluid level. I'm sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing this.

Ovrszd; Three things:
1) After reading most of the Kioti posts on TBN for the last 8 years, I think Murphy is a very intelligent valuable contributor here, with a great sense of humor. Certainly not a "Troll".
3) Please thank your friend with the large "harvesting operation" (looks like corn) for helping to feed my family!

Murph and I are very good friends. He is as far from a Troll as you can get. I was just teasing him because someone else called him a retarded troll. I can not defend him in regards to being retarded. ;)

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #86  
P.S. Soybeans. :)

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #87  

Ovrszd; Three things:

Your calm courtesy is refreshing. Also very... Candian. (actually, now that I think about it, you should be admonished for perpetuating stereotypes :D)

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #88  
Well alright Richard I may be a bit retarded at birth but I got better you know. I was a City slicker for a long time and I got better too. What was your friends bushel per acre?

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #89  
crazy how flat some parts of the country are. Here in NH and Maine, 50 foot square is a large flat surface, and I can't go 6 inches down without hitting something hard!

In summary, I think the Kioti was trying to run an implement that was too much to handle. Likely the PTO clutch started to slip and generated crazy heat. Either way, If you work any machine hard enough and long enough, something will typically give.

I raced motocross for years, if you ride a bike WOT long enough in dusty enough conditions or in muddy conditions, a locked motor is inevitable. Seized more than one motor at Southwick, and i've seen the experts seize more than one motor in day.

Safe to say Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki make stout motors, I've seen hem all fail.

I've owned Deere, Kubota and Kioti. My Kioti is built about as good as the Kubota and Deere. Honestly, I've owned nothing better than a Kubota, seems like you just can't kill them, at least not the old ones. But if I tried hard enough, I'm sure I could find a way.

My Kioti motor starts as easily and runs as strong and smooth as any Diesel I've owned. The Hydraulics are third party, at least hoe valve body. The tranny is smooth. My only complaint is the dual clutch for PTO, which in my case sticks a bit and I need to shut down machine to engage my snowblower or grind-city. I need to fix the adjustment. When fully depressed the blower stops, but there's still not full dissengement. My machine is fully gear.

My Kubota no such issues.

With all that said, I'd buy another Kioti without hesitation.

Joel

/ Kioti DK55 TRANS WAS BOILING HOT after bush hogging WHAT HAVE I DONE??? #90  
Some fodder for thought (in case someone is traversing this thread looking for help):

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...5000-transmission-hydraulics-overheating.html

There's just not enough info on the OP's issue to perform proper forensics. As has been noted, this was a used machine (w/600 hrs) in which case who knows what could have gone on before the OP got it.

We know that the OP added fluid, but what was the initial level? Being over-filled can cause problems.

Is the tractor's PTO clutch able to be adjusted? Wondering if it had been improperly adjusted (by PO).

Did the OP get rid of this tractor? (I see there's no mention of it in his vitals.)