Kiwi building a Scandinavian house

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #1  

timbatrader

Silver Member
Tractor
YCT306S-S bulldozer Leyland 344 tractor, Mountain Raise MR926S wheel Loader, Hitachi 19U mini Excavator
Thought I would start a thread to document my house build a Scandinavian style solid timber build a bit like a log cabin build but precision factory cut laminated beams instead if logs
the design and getting the permit has taken months but the permit came through yesterday so I can start work
photo below of the site and a link to sales brochure of the company that's selling me the kitset
IMG_1164.JPG

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #2  
I wish you all the best in this endeavour Mate!

How big is your "block" and how are you heating?

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #3  
I don't mean to rain on you but the 2 V shaped gullies on the hill look like old landslide tracks, and the grassed ridge is the debris. A berm behind the house may be good insurance. What is the peak rainfall at your place?
What region is Pakihi, West Coast?

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house
I wish you all the best in this endeavour Mate!

How big is your "block" and how are you heating?
Block is about 70 acres river along one edge 20 acres grass on river flats the rest steep covered in bush ( subtropical rain forest) heating will be via a log burner as the river bring a steady supply of logs down which makes for easy firewood

I don't mean to rain on you but the 2 V shaped gullies on the hill look like old landslide tracks, and the grassed ridge is the debris. A berm behind the house may be good insurance. What is the peak rainfall at your place?
What region is Pakihi, West Coast?
Good spotting i have had a geotech report done on the site as part of the permit process so all taken care of
Pakihi is north island, bay of plenty
google maps link here https://www.google.com/maps/place/8...b67c95b817aab!8m2!3d-38.1196866!4d177.4096219

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #6  
I'm Norwegian. My relatives in Norway built a "new" house about twenty five years ago. My mother and sister went back to Norway to visit.

What a shock. The new house lacks central heat and central air conditioning. Like I told them both - at least, it had indoor plumbing and electricity.

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #7  
Good luck with your new home and keep us updated 👍

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #8  
I'm looking forward to following your build. It's always fun to see how people do things in other countries.

Are you building the same house in the link, or is that just a sample floorplan? I like how clean and simple it is, but wonder about storage. Are you going to build a separate garage or barn after the house is done?

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #9  
Central air and AC is not common in Norwegian houses still to this day. They use a mixture of radiant heat flooring and heat pumps in most houses. I was last home in 2019 for my old mans 70th birthday.

I'm looking forward to following your build. It's always fun to see how people do things in other countries.

Are you building the same house in the link, or is that just a sample floorplan? I like how clean and simple it is, but wonder about storage. Are you going to build a separate garage or barn after the house is done?
Yes Eddie it is a kitset supplied pretty much as it is seen on their web site. The foundations are up to me so I have gone for a plywood floor on metal screw piles I have a contractor arriving next week to install he plans on getting all the piles done in one day I just need to provide a clean level site
re sheds it is likely that it will have a lean to car port on one side and a pole barn near by but I will wait for the building inspector to have done his final code compliance sign off before starting them

link to the ground screw company web site https://stopdigging.co.nz/inspiration/reference-pictures/