Kiwi building a Scandinavian house

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #11  
Funny how you need to provide a clean level spot but the company's motto is "stopdigging" (at the top of website.)

I like your floor plan, it pretty close to what I have just Flipped.... (plus an extra bathroom).

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house
Funny how you need to provide a clean level spot but the company's motto is "stopdigging" (at the top of website.)

I like your floor plan, it pretty close to what I have just Flipped.... (plus an extra bathroom).
In hindsight I should have had have the engineer design the pile lay out to take account of the site slope I thought I could save money buy making the site level I didn't realise how much dirt I would have to move to not only make the site level but also take enough of the hill away so the house was not tucked into the hill side
it was a good excuse to get the toys out for a workout
Yuchai YCT306S-S bulldozer
Mountain Raise MR920 wheel loader
Leyland 255 tractor with 5 ton tip trailer
Hitachi 19U-5A mini excavator

The stop digging crew installed the piles today two men 9am start and all finished by 4pm you tube video here

IMG_1210.JPG

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #15  
That is a very interesting technique that is very scarce here in the States. I've only seen a couple of jobs using this method and that wasn't in person.
Fast, very low impact but seemingly a specialty contractor and equipment. Are those "drills" hydraulic?
I'll guess that the price is largely by the post, what's the cost?

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #16  
Interesting seeing them drill in the screws. I've never seen anything like it.

That is a very interesting technique that is very scarce here in the States. I've only seen a couple of jobs using this method and that wasn't in person.
Fast, very low impact but seemingly a specialty contractor and equipment. Are those "drills" hydraulic?
I'll guess that the price is largely by the post, what's the cost?
The drive units are electric using a small petrol generator they have a two speed gearbox when a few of the piles got into some rotten rock they were in low gear and you could hear the generator work]
Pricewise it was more expensive than what would be normal over here timber piles set in concrete
In my case access is difficult getting a mixer truck on site not possible this time of year and I am not keen on making concrete on site getting to old for that

My first run in with the building inspector to get a building permit involves hiring a licensed designer to prepare very detailed plans 40 A3 pages every detail must be included down to the number and size of the nails used in many places.
the plans were approved without a moisture barrier on the ground but the local building inspector believes it is "best practice" to put one down so even though the code does not require it and the permit was approved without it he has made it clear that he expected me to put one down. Its not worth getting offside with him this early in the build so now I have a moisture barrier that I don't belive I need or really want

IMG_1213.JPG

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #19  
Smart to do what the inspector says. It never matters if they are right or wrong, once they commit to requiring something, it's easier to just do it.

/ Kiwi building a Scandinavian house #20  
I'm a little surprised that you bothered with "them" for what looks like a remote location.