know about modern video surveillance equipment?

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #11  
My system is set up so that I can see what's happening not only outside around my residence, but on the inside as well, from any Internet connection. I even have one set up inside my hen house. LOL

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have no idea what the federal guidelines are now (yesterday was the 17th anniversary of my retirement /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif), but a few of them came into being while I was a detective sergeant working burglary & theft and I had to visit a few banks to "advise" them on security. )</font>

Most FDIC investigators don't know about the inefficiencies until there's a problem and the FBI asks to take a look at the videos. LOL

You've been out almost as long as I have been in. Did you drop out completely or do you maintain a commission somewhere?

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #13  
Geovision makes cards and complete digital systems. I have mine set up where I can access it from home or work, and also can control a PTZ camera remotely. Not too much money, depending on the quality of recording you're looking for. We have 500 gig of storage on 16 camera's, motion sensitive, but most of them are recording from about 5:00 am till midnight, and we get abour 2 months of recodings at that rate. Our cameras are also infra red, so they work in the dark. One note tho, color cameras don't work well at night, stick to black and white for outdoor cameras.

Geovision

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did you drop out completely )</font>

Yep. After 24 years and 10 months decided it was time to try some other things. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #15  
I guess the question is, how long did it take before you got it out of your system? Geesh, sometimes I find myself pacing a vehicle when I'm OD. LOL If you ever find yourself missing some of the action, I moderate a LE list. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment?
Does anyone know the pros/cons of using a server computer type setup with a specialized multi channel video card for recording versus a DVR box type like ADT pushes that hooks to an existing computer?
Theres some server type systems for sale on ebay too under video surveillance search.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #17  
The advantage is a device that is specifically manufactured to record audio and video from multiple inputs is probably going to be set up ready to use and running on a box that probably has a proprietary version of Unix or Linux in it. It will run and run and run. It will probably cost more than a PC based system, but will be more dependable. One box, one function.

A PC based system will require you open a box, install one or more video cards and then install and set up the software. It will probably be windows based and will probably require maintenance tasks. It will probably not be as reliable as a dedicated device. The advantage is, if you already own a PC, you just need to purchase the video capture cards that usually come with their own software. It is much less expensive than a dedicated device, but usually can't compare to the video quality, frame rate and resolution of a dedicated box.

Both types of devices should have built in motion sensing, which will detect any changes in the video screen and save the recording. this eliminates the need for hardware motion detctors. Good devices will always record, but just keep the stuff that is triggered by motion. This iliminates any lag time that would occur if it didn't start recording until it detected motion. Also, some systems let you mask out areas of a picture so that, for example, you can have a camera system in a pet shop, but mask out the hamster cage so Tiny doesn't trigger motion detection when he runs in his wheel but the counter area will trigger by motion. Some systems will also let you set the sensitivity so that small changes, such as dappled sunlight coming through a window on partly cloudy days won't trigger the motion all the time.

At work we use a dedicated device from www.dedicatedmicros.com called the Digital Sprite 2. You access it through a web browser on any PC in the network. It is pricey but works flawlessly.

For PCs acting as a DVR I have used a program called Active Web Cam. It works well for a few cameras, but the more you have, the slower it gets if they all are recording. A neat feature of it is it will record at a slow frame rate until motion is detected, then increase the frame rate until the motion ceases.

I have a funny story to share about video surveillance at my home....

I set up a camera to watch the back door for deliveries, etc... I installed hardware motion sensors in the area(I didn't have the video motion detector software at the time). It was set to detect motion and record for 5 minutes. When I got home from work, a four hour tape in the VCR was full! After review, I found that a Robbin would fly up and land on the gate, poop on it and fly away. Then 4:55 of video of nothing. Then the Robbin would come back from the other direction, land on the gate, poop and fly away and another 4:55 of nothing. This went on all day, and to top it off it was mulberry season. You know what a mess that can make! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #18  
What Moss said. He covered al lot more in his post than I did in mine, like I said Geovision is another supplier. Our system is PC based, with a card, software, running XP etc. We've had no issues, and the recording software has the masking, delay, auto record, motion sensitivity etc. Just another resource to chose from...........

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #19  
I have seen units that record to a VCR with motion detection. seems like they would work. Nothing has happened--erase the tape.
In the last few years, someone hit my truckand bent the bumper, took a package off of the porch, ran into my tandem trailer and crushed the fender, run through the yard several times with ATVs, oh, and I am half way serious in saying BTK may have come into our house. In any case, I have come to believe even low crime areas could benifit from a simple recording camera. J