know about modern video surveillance equipment?

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment?
Does anyone have an opinion on how many frames per second is adequate---i see units advertised with 60, 90, 120, 240 etc.
I assume higher is less choppy viewing.

Do DVR's require a separate power supply for cameras?

Can I use my shop computer to monitor/ view as opposed to needing a separate closed circuit monitor with a DVR box?
Or just with a server type?

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #22  
30 FPS will give a nice, smooth motion picture. 15 FPS will still be acceptable. In the end, all it takes is one frame of someone's face to make a case. However, catching that one frame is the problem. Alot of things have to work right...

Is the camera always on or does it take a few milliseconds to warm up?

Is the unit always recording or does it start when it senses motion? How many milliseconds does it take to trigger and start the actual recording?

Can your system handle multiple cameras doing 30 FPS? How many cameras before you have to bump down the FPS?

All cameras require a power source. Most have external power supplies that require AC. Some USB cameras are powered by the USB cable, but the USB port has to be a powered one. If you load up a USB bus with cameras, they may not function, so you would need to get an externally powered USB hub.

If the PC is running the camera capture software then you most likely can use the PC to view it.

If you have a stand alone DVR, they usually come with a web interface that you can access over you network from any computer. Something like http://myDVRname:0000 where 0000 is a port number. Then a screen pops up asking for a username and password. Then you can monitor the cameras individually, as a group or review past recordings and save them off to your PC in AVI or MPEG format, depending on the capabilities of the DVR or software.

If it doesn't come with a web interface, it should have audio/video jacks to hook to a VCR to copy to tape.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #23  
Panasonic makes a nework camera that can be controlled from anywere in the world with an iternet connection. They even have them that pan, tilt, zoom and rotate from your computer screen thousands of miles away. And they have wireless ones. All you do is plug them into a router and then plug the router into your high speed DSL or cable internet modem. I contacted a company about hooking these up in our office building and they told me that they would sell me them but they felt that I would beable to install them so easily myself that it wouldn't be worth the money to have them install them. (seems kind of weird since they could have made some extra money)

The cameras will start recording when they sense motion and start emailing you what it has recorded as it happens and then you can go to the link that it emails you and watch what is happening in real time. Very cool i think

heres a link to panasonics consumer network cameras

panasonic newtwork cameras

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #24  
Can anyone comment on the ability to run network camera systems with a dish internet service like Hughesnet? Our vacation home has a phoneline and it is microwave linked and I understand not the greatest for dial-up.

So was thinking of Hughesnet Dish internet and some sort of system to remotely monitor the home.
Thanks