KS family die in plane crash

/ KS family die in plane crash
Back in the late 60's - York US 30 Dragway? Ran my stock '64 Chevelle there a few times.

I think the man was flying into the Thomasville airport, IIRC.

/ KS family die in plane crash #12  
Saw the story on AOL news yesterday but did not really pay much attention. I did notice the story said the plane broke apart before crashing but the pics looked like it was pretty much all together on the ground. When I read "the plane broke apart" it makes me recall the initial episode of "Lost" when the jetliner came apart.

A very sad story to read, appears the family was very much loved.

/ KS family die in plane crash #13  
It is difficult to imagine a scenario that would explain why the aircraft was turned off course, 90 degrees to the right, in clear air, and flown in a straight line, for several miles, before the break up.

This would require permission from air traffic control, which was apparently not requested, or granted. And, reprogramming, or disconnection of the flight director, (autopilot), by a crew member.

This maneuver was not done in a erratic manor, which indicates the aircraft was under control at the time it was done. :confused:

The only plausible explanation I have right now, is this crash was an intentional act.

I pray that turns out to be wrong. :(

It is difficult to imagine a scenario that would explain why the aircraft was turned off course, 90 degrees to the right, in clear air, and flown in a straight line, for several miles, before the break up.

This would require permission from air traffic control, which was apparently not requested, or granted. And, reprogramming, or disconnection of the flight director, (autopilot), by a crew member.

This maneuver was not done in a erratic manor, which indicates the aircraft was under control at the time it was done. :confused:

The only plausible explanation I have right now, is this crash was an intentional act.

I sure hope that turns out to be wrong. :(

I haven't read anything about course changes or any communication with ATC (such as declaring an emergency)...anyone else?

/ KS family die in plane crash #15  
One report showed the actual fight path, superimposed over the filed flight plan, as recorded by radar, from flight aware.

I believe I read there was a mayday call, but no other details of the nature of the emergency were reported.

I will look when I get time, for the radar track and post it.

One report showed the actual fight path, superimposed over the filed flight plan, as recorded by radar, from flight aware.

I believe I read there was a mayday call, but no other details of the nature of the emergency were reported.

I will look when I get time, for the radar track and post it.

I went to that Flight Aware site...quite interesting!

There's a thread and much conjecture about this accident. So far, most think it may have been an inflight break up due to weather conditions...the weather conditions have not been reported in any of the news reports I've read.

Looking at that turn, he may have been trying to avoid that weather. And, if the aircraft went into a flat spin and the passengers weren't belted in...well, one can imagine.

Last edited:
   / KS family die in plane crash #18  
I went to that Flight Aware site...quite interesting!

There's a thread and much conjecture about this accident. So far, most think it may have been an inflight break up due to weather conditions...the weather conditions have not been reported in any of the news reports I've read.

Looking at that turn, he may have been trying to avoid that weather. And, if the aircraft went into a flat spin and the passengers weren't belted in...well, one can imagine.

Turbulence is always a potential factor, if there was any in that area, it is quite busy so there will be reports.

You can't change your heading, or altitude to avoid weather in controlled airspace, and on an IFR fight plan, without at least notifying ATC of your intentions.

If he hit turbulence, it would be more likely he would continue on course, and request a different altitude.

The course he was flying originally could very well have avoided the weather ahead, when you consider the weather is probably going to be moving away from him.

/ KS family die in plane crash #20  
I started my commercial flying career by flying the Pilatus PC-12 aircraft and I can tell you that is one of strongest, well built airplanes out there.
Let's not jump to any conclusions, the news media is not a reliable source of information about aircraft accidents, they often get things wrong.

From the pictures I've seen it looks like the center section of the fuselage is torn open along the roof and the emergence exit door is missing. The tail is broken off at the point where it attaches to the pressure vessle.

It would take an extreme event to cause this to happen.