Oil & Fuel Kubota 1100VTX won't start

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start
We got it going! We got the hair dryer out and it took us a while to figure out where the fuel line/pump was but we did.

You know why this happened to begin with? Mind you, I just bought this Kubota for my husband. ALL HE HAD TO DO was put the additive in the fuel, they were adamant about that when they dropped it off. He didn't...

Anyways, big lesson learned. We are both so relieved, big storm coming tomorrow. Thank you all for your suggestions, I love this website, you are all very helpful and it is greatly appreciated. Christine

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #12  
There will be a lot of hard starts tomorrow in new England. Just changed my filter and dumped out a bunch of jelly. Added 911 to my tank, plugged in the block heater , started it up and ran it for about half an hour...Even drove it down to get the paper at the end of my drive. Don't want to waste the heat!

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #13  
Okay, lots of good advice here. I'm going to touch on one thing I haven't seen mentioned and I think when done I'll copy and paste to some other threads.
In sub zero temperatures cut down on the exposure to the outside air for your equipment,
put a plastic trash bag in front of your grill to stop the air flow, wrap a bungee cord around to hold it in place, as it warms up you can give it some air if needed, just slid your cover down a bit.
Get a small tarp and more bungee cords wrap it around the hoods on your tractor under the engine and on both sides.
When you get to using it open up the front to get a little air in, watch your temperature gauges unless you are working
your engine hard it will need very little air, the heat that you trap will warm your fuel lines and filter.
If its making heat then you can open up the rear a bit and let some come back to your feet, it will be like the old heat housers
we used to put on and a few of use still do at times.
Let these diesel run warm they will work better and last longer, note I said warm not to hot :thumbsup:

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #14  
Winter fronts make very logical sense. Just don't confuse it with wind chill. Machines don't feel wind chill, only temperatures.

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #15  
Winter fronts make very logical sense. Just don't confuse it with wind chill. Machines don't feel wind chill, only temperatures.

True they don't, however when they are exposed to the wind it will pull the heat out faster.

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #16  
True they don't, however when they are exposed to the wind it will pull the heat out faster.

Yep, just didn't want the OP to think her problem would be solved by simply wrapping the parked object with any type of cover. Her problem occurred when the vehicle was parked after use, not during use. :)

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #17  
I am in the same boat with my L6060HSTC that I got a week ago. It was idling fine, and then I moved it 10' and it cut off and won't stay running now. The dealer told me their diesel was winter blend and when I asked about the additive they said not to worry. I am so pissed I didn't trust myself to just put my additive in it when it arrived anyway.

Are you all suggesting removing the fuel/water separator bowl and filling it with diesel 911 to the top and then putting some in the tank? Are there any other potential places it could be frozen up?

I wrote my dealer but doubt they will respond until the morning. I've never had this happen as I always put additive in my fuel tank as soon as it comes home from the fuel station.

Edit: Do the injectors need bled on the newer tractors, or just bled the fuel system using the vent on the top of the fuel filter?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
   / Kubota 1100VTX won't start #18  
Oh what a fun evening. Sent my wife out for Diesel 911, Walmart is the closest place so she tried there, shelves empty. Called Advanced Auto which is about 10 minutes further out and they had it so she picked it up there.

You could see the separator in this next pic all cloudy. So I figured this was likely the issue.

1clogged.jpg

Took the separator housing off with a pair of adjustable wrench pliers to break it loose. It was a tight fit and I had to turn the pliers backwards from how you would normally use them to get in there. Not sure if they make an actual wrench for removing these, but the pliers is what I had and I've used them on other tractors in the past for those large nut rings on the separators/filters.

wrench.jpg
2off.jpg

Emptied the housing, filled it a little more than 1/2 full with the 911 treatment, reinstalled, and the gel from the separator housing all fell off, so I dumped it and filled it again. It was a bit of an art to get the right amount but somehow I managed to know how much to put in the second time fitting the housing.

Once I got it installed, I opened the bleeder on the top of the fuel filter but I never got any fuel coming out of this even after I remembered to open the fuel valve (dulh, I was really ticked at myself for that). So, I tried turning the key over twice to watch for fuel there, didn't get anything, so I tightened the bleeder and tried to start. It did start (the second time after turning the fuel back on) and then ran for about a couple minutes until I noticed the separator filling up with gel again. I didn't catch it in time and it shut off again.

So, I put the heat gun to it (far away, like where the loader frame was, probably 18", I was a little chicken to get it too hot) and let it thaw the gel. I then started it and rocked the tractor back and forth to get the treatment distributed through the tank. Then I had the gun on the separator for about 5 minutes while the tractor ran and that kept it from geling up at low idle enough to get the treatment into the lines.

This is what it looked like when it started to gel up again:
3clogging.jpg

And here it is all the way clear:
4fixed.jpg

Lesson learned, don't trust anyone that tells you the fuel they gave you had additive in it. The school board in the county I just moved from also learned that today as most of their buses would not start, and I suspect it likely was a fuel issue because they used a biodiesel blend (they were proud when they switched to that to save money and be more environmentally friendly). They said the fuel had additive. I think when it gets as cold as it is if you don't have enough you just get screwed. I always put enough treatment in mine for below 0 operation and have never had to deal with this ever in the past. Ever. Still mad at myself.

Then to top off the night, I went to us my Duramax Flo'n'Go 14gallon tank and the hose handle on it somehow was frozen and started leaking. Big fail. It isn't going to work with my tractor now anyway because the hose isn't long enough. The last tractor I would put it in the loader, lift it, and gravity would drain it into the tractor's tank. I'll likely get a couple metal cans to put diesel in for the tractor, I can't stand the crap plastic ones they sell anymore (all my old plastic ones for gas, like 10+ years old, are fantastic but I use them for my gas equipment).

It won't break freezing here until early next week. All of this chaos today was done at around 6F, but tomorrow evening it will drop below zero again. I don't know how folks further north do it. You all probably just laugh at the rest of us when you send your cold south.

Edit: Thanks to everyone on this thread that had suggestions for the op. They were very helpful.

Matt

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #19  
The tree cutting company has a feller/buncher, two 500hp traveling chippers, and a hydro-ax, all sitting here not making money because of the crappy fuel and cold. They have worked in colder weather than this and the machines are made for it, so the problem is the fuel. They will attempt to finish the job when we hit 30deg on Monday. Does anyone know how much bio is in our fuels? Is it B0, B10, B30??????

/ Kubota 1100VTX won't start #20  
Just got our electric bill that includes temperatures during the period. In the month up to yesterday the high was +6F and the low -41F, average -11F. My RTV900XT, which has Howes, wouldn't start on the coldest days. This week we had our +6F day and it wouldn't start due to cold soak. The next day at -4F it started right up but it hadn't been below -10F during the night. The fuel tank is a large temperature sink that takes time to warm up. My L6060 sits in a heated garage as its needed to keep our yard and driveway open (1/4 mile) so never a problem there.