kubota 5140 draft control

/ kubota 5140 draft control #1  

Farm208

Tractor
Kubota 5140. Massey Ferg. 165
I own a 5140 Kubota that I really like. I've tried plowing with a massey ferguson 14 inch, 3 bottom, model 43 plow that does good. However, since it don't have a built in draft control(has only a position control lever) it is noticeable in plowing when the contour of the ground changes. S:confused:ometimes I may have to go to a lower gear or raise the position control that lifts the plow on the go. if I can get a unit for this at the dealer how difficult is it to install if I want to do it myself. I called my dealer today and did not hear anything. I then called Messicks. they gave me a part no of m8377 and did not have any info on this unit but could get it directly from Kubota and then ship to me. Anyone have any info on equipping a 5140 with draft control?

/ kubota 5140 draft control #2  
I have an L4300 and an MX5100 and installed draft control on both myself. The first one took a little time to think things out but it is not difficult if you are even somewhat handy. Adjusting it took some time but it was an easy intermediate level job. I'll bet there are threads on this somewhere on TBN.

I'll bet a dealer wouldn't charge that much to do it. It's not that hard.

/ kubota 5140 draft control
Thanks six dogs. Was it costly and were there lots of parts? Did you have to open any piece of compartment area and tap in it to hook it up? Or, is it a lot of parts you attach on the outside of the tractor? How is it fed by the hydraulics? Thanks any info can help?

/ kubota 5140 draft control #4  
It's just a few parts and a couple of levers. Nothing needs to be opened up. The tractor is already set up for it and you just add a few external parts. It really was no big deal to install and it comes with complete instructions. Adjusting it took the most time because I had to figure out how to put weight on the arms as I adjusted it. Hint...I did it with a Deere 100 lb front end weight and a cross drawbar on the tractor lift arms to hold it. Our friend duct tape held things while I adjusted.

The first install took maybe a couple of hours while the second one no where near as long and I don't think I put down my sandwich till I was partway done. it's been a couple of years so I forget some things but it was no big deal, except for adjusting it and the only hassle there was finding 100 lbs and a way to hold it on the drawbar/lift arms. Oh, the instructions said to remove the fender on mine but I never did and can't see why anyone would.

The cost was in the hundreds of dollars. Maybe $400 or $500? Messic's parts guys will tell you even though it might be a "whole good". Call and ask.

Go to Messic's site and look up the parts diagram for the thing. Search this site because I must have commented over the years and I know there were threads on it. Use the Google search box in the upper right and not the TBN search box. Since I am a vocal advocate of draft control I always had plenty to say when asked. it is a very useful tool and it allows me to do grading work that seems to impress casual observers who tend to credit me and not the machinery and invention of Harry Ferguson. But that's another story.

Thanks Sixdogs. I may be able to do this now. Kubota must have dropped this due to many not now using bottom plows. Harry Ferguson solved this problem years ago and I think if my tractor had it that it would be the world of difference. I love seeing the soil roll over. I will try and buy this and will check out Messicks to see if I can get some pics of it. Thanks for telling me I don't have to enter the housing and stuff to add this on. I think some of the larger tractors have electronic draft control but I'm not sure.

/ kubota 5140 draft control #6  
Kubota would never drop draft control, nor would any manufacturer. Anyone who wants to do any sort of ground engaging work needs it. Lots of TBNers will never have a need for it but those who do cannot get by without it.

Im glad they would never drop draft control they just don't include it on mine and now its an option. This is my first new tractor and i just figured it was included at the sale but i found out later its the add on. Thanks for helping me.

/ kubota 5140 draft control #8  
I owned an M5040 (predecessor to the 5140) which came standard with draft control. I never understood why it was not standard on the 5140.

/ kubota 5140 draft control #9  
Im glad they would never drop draft control they just don't include it on mine and now its an option. This is my first new tractor and i just figured it was included at the sale but i found out later its the add on. Thanks for helping me.

A lot of newbies today use tractors for things other than agricultural issues. They skid wood, plow snow and use grapples rather than engage in draft requiring pursuits. So less of a need for it. Tractor is already set up for it so the activation is not all that difficult.

EDIT...Keep us updated on the cost etc and remember to ask what the dealer would charge to install. $100 would be worth it but a whole lot more worth doing yourself. You can't screw it up. Great first tractor, by the way. Any photos?

Last edited:
Thanks again. I ordered it today from my dealer. 273.00 plus a few for shipping
They suggested to allow for at least 3 hrs labor at 75/hr. This was a few dollars
Less than Messicks so I feel this is a Good price. I will look at the directions and
If it looks like I can install it then I'll try it myself. Thanks again for your help.