Mowing Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower?

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #21  
The BX is a glorified lawn mower because it can mow very well, and has earned it's glory doing things other than mowing.

Notice that a great many BX tractors have been sold with no deck, and don't assume that the buyer was stupid, or didn't do his homework.

If I were you, I would look at the work I wanted to do, and compare the BX, and all other tractors looking at the following:

Length, width, weight, ground clearance, turning radius, lift capacity, and hydraulic capacity.

If I could sub a B for a BX I would. I can't, so I have the BX. I love my BX, but I presume I would also love a B. Heck I love about all tractors I ever used for some feature or another, but the BX is one of the most handy packages I have ever used.

Match your tractor to your work, remembering that a tractor that can enter the area, but would have to make two passes is way better than a tractor that cannot enter the area.

Also, remember that lawnmowers break everyday, and the grass somehow seems to know, and responds by growing faster.

If my JD busts a belt, or something, then the BX comes out. The BX will pat the JD on the head gently, tuck it away in the garage, and then go exact revenge on the grass! The BX thinks the JD is it's pet, and it is a bit protective. If something is hard on the JD, the BX will go out and remodel the entire area so the JD can do it's work without hassle, while the BX dreams of bigger tasks.

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #22  
Not a BX24 but the smaller BX2660. This last summer I did major earth works on my back lawn with the loader and box blade. Moved and reshaped approx. 75,000CY. Took about 200 hours on the hour meter and I loved every minute of it. Could have done the work in maybe 16 hours with a real large bulldozer but would have lost out on all the fun. The machine is a worker but all machines have a purpose.

I agree, you must have a very large yard to work with that much material. Thats like 6,000 truck loads or a hole the size of, oh crap my calculator errored out!
Come on, maybe its 75.0cy which would me more realistic:rolleyes: 200 hours with a bx wouldn't even put a dent is that much material.

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #23  
I agree, you must have a very large yard to work with that much material. Thats like 6,000 truck loads or a hole the size of, oh crap my calculator errored out!
Come on, maybe its 75.0cy which would me more realistic:rolleyes: 200 hours with a bx wouldn't even put a dent is that much material.
C'mon - that's only like 400,000 FEL loads, or about 2,000 FELs/hr.

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #24  
C'mon - that's only like 400,000 FEL loads, or about 2,000 FELs/hr.

Yeah, your right.
They are a pretty fast unit.
Afterall it would only be a pile 285' wide and 95' high. As tim the tool man would say "no problem, git er done"

I am sure it was an error USTA but it was fun.;)

Attachments

• gobx.jpg
    gobx.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 578
   / Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #25  
not a glorified lawn mower,(i dont mow with mine ), but i would say its an underpowered (hydraulic wise) multi purpose all around good piece of yard machinery that will do just about anything you ask if you are not in too much of a hurry to" get r done" if i were going to purchase again i would go with the smallest unit thats available with a cab...gotta have it.. try it you will like it..rent one for a day you will be impressed

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #26  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, they are easy to work on, if you are mechanically inclined.

kj

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #27  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, they are easy to work on, if you are mechanically inclined.

kj

Unless you break the plastic fan for the transmission, then you have to crack the machine in half. LOL

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #28  
Dunno bout 75,000 CY, but I carved a shallow, rocky hillside out, spread the spoil in a paddock and dug out a new foundation. We calculated over 1000 bucketloads. It was 250 hours of seat time in 6 months. I flogged it hard in 100 degree heat.

The BX never sputtered or misbehaved. I was sort of planning for the wheels to fall off, it shows plenty of wear, but runs good as new.

(It mows alright as well)

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #29  
I'm betting he ment 7500 cubic yards, not 75,000. Seeing a BX has a bucket size of about 1/5 of a cubic yard, it would take a lot of trips to move 75,000 cubic yards of dirt.

I've had pretty good luck with my BX digging in clay with the FEL without a tooth bar. I actually think I could dig a foundation for a house with it, it would just take weeks instead of days.

/ Kubota BX24. Real tractor or a glorified lawn mower? #30  
BX23 owner here...It's done everything I've wanted to do with it...Mowing, tilling, FEL, BH, BoxBlade and more...My .02

Don