Traction Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question
I had that blade setup on my first BX and I am shopping hard for one for my new BX. I found it to be a snow fighting machine. Traction is very good if you have turfs, filled turfs and wheel weights, etc. Also, don't wait until all 12" is on the ground. Attack it in 4-6 inch increments and plow it out really wide. Give yourself a place to plow the next snowfall and the next snow fall. Chains would make a dozer, for sure. Never had used chains, however.

After speaking with a couple neighbors, and the Kubota salesman, who also lives nearby, they all said that we will never get more than 12" in a day. I did a little research, and the record snowfall in this neighborhood valley was 19" in a 36 hour period, and that was back in the 50's. most of the neighbors use a 4x4 quad and plow, and just do it 2x a day if there's a big storm coming thru. I guess I'll try it out this winter and see. I always like to be over prepared, so maybe buying a 4wd tractor is just that. Ill see how the big blade does.

I had that blade setup on my first BX and I am shopping hard for one for my new BX. I found it to be a snow fighting machine. Traction is very good if you have turfs, filled turfs and wheel weights, etc. Also, don't wait until all 12" is on the ground. Attack it in 4-6 inch increments and plow it out really wide. Give yourself a place to plow the next snowfall and the next snow fall. Chains would make a dozer, for sure. Never had used chains, however.

After speaking with a couple neighbors, and the Kubota salesman, who also lives nearby, they all said that we will never get more than 12" in a day. I did a little research, and the record snowfall in this neighborhood valley was 19" in a 36 hour period, and that was back in the 50's. most of the neighbors use a 4x4 quad and plow, and just do it 2x a day if there's a big storm coming thru. I guess I'll try it out this winter and see. I always like to be over prepared, so maybe buying a 4wd tractor is just that. Ill see how the big blade does.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #13  
I have three tractors, one 2wd with AGs, one 4x4 Kubota with Turfs and a 4x4Kubota with R4s. None of them will go anywhere in the snow. I have chains on all three tractors. Of course we have snow for 4 months on the ground and always a layer of Ice. Try it without.

David, How much snow do you normally have to push? and are you on hilly terrain? we have snow 4 months also, but I guess until I see how it works, I wont know. I haven't owned a tractor before, so still trying to figure it all out.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #15  
bearskinner,
We NORMALLY get between 15 and 24 inches a year. BUT, there is usually some ice mixed in with that. We have hills here. To get from my house to the County road at the top of the hill is about 700' distance. In that distance the road first goes down about 6' in the first 150', THEN goes up about 35' in the next 100' then gradually slopes up to the County Road. In the past I cleared it with a 2WD Snapper and a blade. Hydro unit finally gave out using it for that and mowing the 4 steep banks we have in the summer. I'm now using the BX with FEL to clear the road. I'm not that great with the bucket, so I mess up the gravel a bit. I think I would be better if I had a frame mount blade for it. Last year we had about 1.5 inches of ice under the snow. Got a total of about 28 inches for the year. Except for the ice, I didn't have any problems getting out with the BX. used it to got 1/2 mile to mail box. It takes a while to clear the road, but I'm not complaining. Retired, so no REAL big hurry to get around. We are pretty much "Home Bodies" anyway.

Please let my know how your set up works out. E-mail me silentkingfisher42@centurytel.net.

Dave

I have the same setup and found if I removed the backhoe the machine moved snow much better.

My original thinking was the additional backhoe weight would benefit plowing. In reality, the rear axle acted as a fulcrum or pivot and as the weight built up in front of the plow the front wheels would lift making steering very difficult. Once I removed the backhoe and used 4 wheel drive, plowing snow became much easier.

While this plow is heavy, we built, and rugged, having to change the plow angle by hand each time is a real pain in the ***. I'm thinking adding a couple of hydraulic cylinders and control valve would make plowing much more enjoyable...

I was thinking the added weight would help also. I hear of many people filling their tires, adding wheel weights, etc to aid traction. How much snow do you plow at a time? I know these are little tractors, so its "recommended" to plow every 4", so if its going to drop a foot in a day, ill have to go out 2 or 3 times to keep it down. An adjustable hyd angle blade would be a definite plus!

I wouldnt worry about traction issues. Just to be fair - its not a pickup truck with a heated cab and is heavier therfore its easier to push. I used my BX to plow snow just fine with turfs, but it really does help if you add more weight in the back and in tires. I have plowed northeastern storms here just fine, just as long i remember its a small tractor and it works in deep snow when taking small bites. If you have the time, I'd be out there plowing snow 6 inches or less to make it a breeze during cleanup, last snowfall but we all know it doesnt work out that way.

The good thing in this area is while we will get 50" of snow for the year, its not usually more than a few inches at a time, so if I can make a light snow road, by compacting a few inches over the gravel, and compressing it, the plow, in theory should ride on my made road, with out snagging up and gravel. I guess i'm better off having an almost flat 5 acres to plow

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #18  
Add some skids under the blade so as to always leave about 1" or so of snow. That will avoid gathering gravel and it will create a base to freeze the gravel in place.

The blade comes with a pair of adjustable feet or pads to keep it off the ground a little, and a large rubber blade guard. Being new to all this, I guess Ill have to figure it out by trial and error. I'm still out on the road, and wont be able to even see it in person till October, ( just got delivered and sitting in my shop) than Ill be home forever, ready to work/play. I should be very familiar with all the controls and operation of it by the time the snow flys, so I think at least the first year or two it will all be fun with the new toy. I already know it beats the heck out of a hand snow shovel.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #20  
2000 ft at midnight with blowing snow at -30 is a lot. Go with loaded tires and chains and have it in 4wd.