Kubota Dealer is really good sport!

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #51  
I've done some "tuning" on chain saws for friends and neighbors for some time now and have found that saws which come from the Big Box stores generally have poor operating habits. Saws bought from dedicated dealers tend to have been serviced and prepped. The biggest problem I see is in carb adjustment. Most manufacturers send them in the box set up on the rich side. This keeps them from siezing during break-in and generally keeps them from achieving their proper working RPM. Again, a safety margin from the mfg. A dealer will set the saw up a little rich for break in but will tell you that after 5 to 6 tanks of fuel, bring it back in and they'll perk it up a little. This entails leaning it down and ensuring it reaches max working rpm on the hand held tach. Another factor on 2 stroke motors: one that runs good and crisp in cold weather will generally feel really sick when the temps get into the 70's and above. The opposite side of this is one that runs good and crisp above 70F will cook itself in real cold weather. All my saws that get tuned for summer cutting get tagged as such so that I can fatten them up before they get used in the cold. Pistons and cylinders aren't cheap!!
I'd take that Poulan to someone who knows carb tuning and I'll bet you won't think it's the same saw!!

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #52  
I've done some "tuning" on chain saws for friends and neighbors for some time now and have found that saws which come from the Big Box stores generally have poor operating habits. Saws bought from dedicated dealers tend to have been serviced and prepped. The biggest problem I see is in carb adjustment. Most manufacturers send them in the box set up on the rich side. This keeps them from siezing during break-in and generally keeps them from achieving their proper working RPM. Again, a safety margin from the mfg. A dealer will set the saw up a little rich for break in but will tell you that after 5 to 6 tanks of fuel, bring it back in and they'll perk it up a little. This entails leaning it down and ensuring it reaches max working rpm on the hand held tach. Another factor on 2 stroke motors: one that runs good and crisp in cold weather will generally feel really sick when the temps get into the 70's and above. The opposite side of this is one that runs good and crisp above 70F will cook itself in real cold weather. All my saws that get tuned for summer cutting get tagged as such so that I can fatten them up before they get used in the cold. Pistons and cylinders aren't cheap!!
I'd take that Poulan to someone who knows carb tuning and I'll bet you won't think it's the same saw!!

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A fellow told me last week that the customer's always right . . . but he sometimes has to pay for that privilege. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

LOL, Aint that the truth.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A fellow told me last week that the customer's always right . . . but he sometimes has to pay for that privilege. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

LOL, Aint that the truth.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport!
That is some really useful information. I did get the Poulan from a big box retailer and the Stihl from a dedicated dealer. In fact, when I bought my Stihl, the dealer took it apart very quickly and made some adjustments to make sure it was all okay and worked the way it was supposed to, and then walked me through what I needed to know about the innards and maintenance as he put it back together.

When I get the Poulan back, I'll check with my Kubota/Stihl dealer about how much it will cost to get it tuned for winter, and see if they can fix it. I'll have them re-tune my Stihl for summer in 6 weeks or so. That way, I'll have one for each (assuming the Poulan is actually a good saw with a tuning problem).

Thanks.

That is some really useful information. I did get the Poulan from a big box retailer and the Stihl from a dedicated dealer. In fact, when I bought my Stihl, the dealer took it apart very quickly and made some adjustments to make sure it was all okay and worked the way it was supposed to, and then walked me through what I needed to know about the innards and maintenance as he put it back together.

When I get the Poulan back, I'll check with my Kubota/Stihl dealer about how much it will cost to get it tuned for winter, and see if they can fix it. I'll have them re-tune my Stihl for summer in 6 weeks or so. That way, I'll have one for each (assuming the Poulan is actually a good saw with a tuning problem).

Thanks.

Bird, that's a great saying.

I'd have to say the customer is often not right. However, those of us in business usually need the customer more than the customer needs them.

On the other hand, I have been in the service industry for a long time, and there have been more than a few times that the "customer" was so wrong, I had to turn his business aside, and tell him to look elsewhere for what he needed.

Bird, that's a great saying.

I'd have to say the customer is often not right. However, those of us in business usually need the customer more than the customer needs them.

On the other hand, I have been in the service industry for a long time, and there have been more than a few times that the "customer" was so wrong, I had to turn his business aside, and tell him to look elsewhere for what he needed.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #59  
PM, here are couple of things that will keep your new saw and you running well if you’re not aware of them already. For the saw get the proper size file and do a quick, three strokes per tooth, sharpening after each tank of gas. When a chain gets dull it generates heat and the blades lose their temper and will never hold an edge well again.

To keep your self running well get a set of chain saw chaps for protection. Chain saw accidents happen quickly and are devastating.

MarkV

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #60  
PM, here are couple of things that will keep your new saw and you running well if you’re not aware of them already. For the saw get the proper size file and do a quick, three strokes per tooth, sharpening after each tank of gas. When a chain gets dull it generates heat and the blades lose their temper and will never hold an edge well again.

To keep your self running well get a set of chain saw chaps for protection. Chain saw accidents happen quickly and are devastating.

MarkV