Kubota Dealer is really good sport!

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport!
Thanks Mark. When using the Poulan, I just put on a new chain after every two to three tankfuls. I could get them locally for about $10.

When I bought the Stihl, I did buy a file for it, because the extra chain he sold me cost $18. So, I will take your advice and file it after every tankful. My dealer demonstrated what I need to do, so hopefully I'll do it correctly. The manual also gives a good step-by-step pictoral.

As to the chaps, how much do they cost? And are they heavy? I think they are a good idea. I tend to be pretty careful (I think I am appropriately aware of the danger factor of my saw), but like you said, accidents happen. Also, where I live, when cutting out Buckthorn, they grow real close to each other, and invite lots of vines. So, I need to take things slowly to avoid tripping over a vine or small stump (so far so good).

Thanks Mark. When using the Poulan, I just put on a new chain after every two to three tankfuls. I could get them locally for about $10.

When I bought the Stihl, I did buy a file for it, because the extra chain he sold me cost $18. So, I will take your advice and file it after every tankful. My dealer demonstrated what I need to do, so hopefully I'll do it correctly. The manual also gives a good step-by-step pictoral.

As to the chaps, how much do they cost? And are they heavy? I think they are a good idea. I tend to be pretty careful (I think I am appropriately aware of the danger factor of my saw), but like you said, accidents happen. Also, where I live, when cutting out Buckthorn, they grow real close to each other, and invite lots of vines. So, I need to take things slowly to avoid tripping over a vine or small stump (so far so good).

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #63  
PM, check out www.baileys-online.com and look at the section on first aid and safety equipment. They are a good company to deal with and have a lot of cool stuff to look at. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The chaps can get a bit warm in the summer but the alterative if something happens is much worst. Personally I find that the small stuff like what you are cutting causes me more safety issues than the larger stuff. The small stuff has enough flex to pinch the blade which can cause kick back easier.

When you have some extra time do a search on TBN’s safey section for chain saw accidents. There are some stories from the past that made a believer out of me. Chaps go on every time the chainsaw is started.

MarkV

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #64  
PM, check out www.baileys-online.com and look at the section on first aid and safety equipment. They are a good company to deal with and have a lot of cool stuff to look at. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The chaps can get a bit warm in the summer but the alterative if something happens is much worst. Personally I find that the small stuff like what you are cutting causes me more safety issues than the larger stuff. The small stuff has enough flex to pinch the blade which can cause kick back easier.

When you have some extra time do a search on TBN’s safey section for chain saw accidents. There are some stories from the past that made a believer out of me. Chaps go on every time the chainsaw is started.

MarkV

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #65  
As a physician I see minor chain saw accidents (usually upper leg) in my office from time to time (the serious ones go the the ER but even the minor ones are messy and hard to close). Two common denominators always emerge: working around a lot of small stuff as mentioned above and the fact that it happens fast and completely unexpected.

I think it is ironic whenever you look at the manuals and saftey videos the chainsaw is always being used to cut down a single isolated tree in a clearing or cutting up logs in a cradle of some sort. It seems like every time I use mine it is in close quarters on sloping uneven ground with saplings and vines all around and that's probably true for most of us. But that's where the accidents happen.

I don't have chaps but I intend to get some before my next chainsaw outing.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #66  
As a physician I see minor chain saw accidents (usually upper leg) in my office from time to time (the serious ones go the the ER but even the minor ones are messy and hard to close). Two common denominators always emerge: working around a lot of small stuff as mentioned above and the fact that it happens fast and completely unexpected.

I think it is ironic whenever you look at the manuals and saftey videos the chainsaw is always being used to cut down a single isolated tree in a clearing or cutting up logs in a cradle of some sort. It seems like every time I use mine it is in close quarters on sloping uneven ground with saplings and vines all around and that's probably true for most of us. But that's where the accidents happen.

I don't have chaps but I intend to get some before my next chainsaw outing.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #67  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bird, that's a great saying.

I'd have to say the customer is often not right. However, those of us in business usually need the customer more than the customer needs them.

On the other hand, I have been in the service industry for a long time, and there have been more than a few times that the "customer" was so wrong, I had to turn his business aside, and tell him to look elsewhere for what he needed. )</font>

I'm lost, first you say the customer is ALWAYS right, disagree with me with I say that's not always the case, then give me the "whatever" quote above. Then say the customer is NOT always right and you've even passed up on customers? Even go as far as saying "often". Doesn't often mean more times than not?

I'm trying to connect your points as dots and all I'm getting is a circle??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #68  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bird, that's a great saying.

I'd have to say the customer is often not right. However, those of us in business usually need the customer more than the customer needs them.

On the other hand, I have been in the service industry for a long time, and there have been more than a few times that the "customer" was so wrong, I had to turn his business aside, and tell him to look elsewhere for what he needed. )</font>

I'm lost, first you say the customer is ALWAYS right, disagree with me with I say that's not always the case, then give me the "whatever" quote above. Then say the customer is NOT always right and you've even passed up on customers? Even go as far as saying "often". Doesn't often mean more times than not?

I'm trying to connect your points as dots and all I'm getting is a circle??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark, you and N80 convinced me. Just ordered the chaps from Baileys. I already use leather covered Kevlar gloves for grabbing the buckthorn and burning it. Nothing else seems to really stop the thorns very well (even heavy duty work gloves).

When I was a teenager, the next door neighbor of my best friend accidentally killed himself using a chainsaw in his backyard. He was on standing on a ladder propped up against a tree using his chainsaw to cut off a limb. He lost his balance, and to catch himself, put his arm down, the one with the running chain saw in it. He carried it across his abdomen. He died 4 very painful hours later. In the 25 years since that happened, I haven't ever been able to get the visual out of my head (even though I didn't see it or him afterward).

When we moved out to the country last spring, I resisted getting a chain saw until I realized that a pruning saw just wasn't going to "cut it" and I'd either need to find the funds to hire out all the trimming on this 5 acres or get familiar with a chain saw.

Like I did with my Tractor, I read through the chain saw's entire manual (okay, I only read the English part) before using it. I wanted to be as familiar as I could be with these expensive, potentially life-threatening, and very foreign (to me) objects before doing work which could get me hurt or cost me serious dollars in repair and damage.

Mark, you and N80 convinced me. Just ordered the chaps from Baileys. I already use leather covered Kevlar gloves for grabbing the buckthorn and burning it. Nothing else seems to really stop the thorns very well (even heavy duty work gloves).

When I was a teenager, the next door neighbor of my best friend accidentally killed himself using a chainsaw in his backyard. He was on standing on a ladder propped up against a tree using his chainsaw to cut off a limb. He lost his balance, and to catch himself, put his arm down, the one with the running chain saw in it. He carried it across his abdomen. He died 4 very painful hours later. In the 25 years since that happened, I haven't ever been able to get the visual out of my head (even though I didn't see it or him afterward).

When we moved out to the country last spring, I resisted getting a chain saw until I realized that a pruning saw just wasn't going to "cut it" and I'd either need to find the funds to hire out all the trimming on this 5 acres or get familiar with a chain saw.

Like I did with my Tractor, I read through the chain saw's entire manual (okay, I only read the English part) before using it. I wanted to be as familiar as I could be with these expensive, potentially life-threatening, and very foreign (to me) objects before doing work which could get me hurt or cost me serious dollars in repair and damage.