Dealer Kubota dealer turns ugly.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #11  
I was at a Kubota dealer a couple months ago and I mentioned that I had learned some information about the RTV on TBN. The salesman went on a rant how he hated the internet. I wasn't even shopping at that point, but boy did he go off!!!! Said the internet was the worse thing that ever happened.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #12  
Based on what I've seen at the few tractor dealers I've been to, I'm not surprised of the reaction dealers have when it's mentioned. They seem pretty old school and I think feel as though the internet usurps some of their business and information, and whatever small advantages they may once have had.

It is what it is and it's not going away, you've got to grab it by the horns and run with it....it seems as though many want to just pretend it's not there, rather then take advantage of the opportunities it presents.

I can see the point of getting strokers in the dealership based on internet knowledge. I know when I was initially shopping most dealers didn't really even want to talk on the phone, kind of made you feel you were wasting their time unless you were there in person.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #13  
I am of the opinion you need to go find a new dealer. There is nothing wrong with your finding out information about a purchase that is as major as a tractor. You had some questions about a model that someone said had a problem. The salesman should have answered your questions. He could have said I am not aware of that being a problem. You might have read about an isolated instance by someone that liked to complain. He might have said that yes we had a problem with that but there has been a change to the equipment. He might have said that I am not aware of the problem but I will check it out with the kubota people and get back to you. Any of those responses to me would have been perfectly acceptable. To get angry about your questions to me is very wrong. You are also a repeat customer. Any dealership that I spend more than a thousand dollars with had better treat me with respect the next time they see me or I will find a competitor that will treat me that way. I bought a 2005 chevy silverado LT diesel truck. The next year I traded it in with the same dealership for a 2006 silverado lt3 duramax. The first oil change I had I was leaving town for a trip and left my truck at my mother in laws and had them drive me to the airport. My wife rode with her daughter to get the truck the saturday I got back. When she got there she found a small oil leak under the truck. She called me and I called the dealeship. The service department had closed by the time I called but they said they would see what they could do. They called the service department manager at home. He came down and opened up one of the bays and had my wife bring it in so he could check the oil and look for the leak. With that kind of service I will buying trucks from them in the future. My point is for the kind of money you spend on vehicles including tractors any dealer that wants to get angry over simple customer questions might be getting angry over a lack of customers.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly.
Thanks for all the responses. You know I don't feel as if I did anything wrong by saying what I said or mentioning to him what I read online. I'm not some clueless consumer who gathers ammo on the internet and attacks my dealer with it to get a break on pricing or worse try to impress him. Perhaps I should go back in and talk it over with him and see what his thoughts about it are.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #15  
Why not CC: this message to the dealership owner, manager and Kubota corporate. let them know you like their product.. however have no need for a nasty staff member... If you state facts and remain calm.. my bet is that you will get a positive response at least from somebody... 3 tractors in 2 years.. you sound like a GREAT customer...

Soundguy

jnixon said:
So I'm in my local Kubota dealer today talking to the main sales guy who has been great to deal with the last couple years. We were chatting about various new models, pricing etc. and a couple times I mentioned TractorByNet forums and other online sources of information and he just turned nasty. It's like he had no interest in dealing with me anymore and this is a guy I've bought 3 tractors from in the past 2 years. I mentioned the thread about the L2800 PTO problems and he got insanely defensive about it. People who don't use the internet for a source of information seem to have this bitter grudge against it and it really bugs me.. I'm quite bothered by the whole incident and have mixed feeling about setting foot back in that dealership again. My loyalty to Kubota won't change but my choice of dealers might.

Anyone else have issues with this sort of thing ?

Grrr..

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #16  
Wow - I'd probably want to walk if I got that reaction too. My dealer has been great about the internet. This includes 2 different salesmen at 2 different locations. I'll often call when looking at a new attachment (a chipper for example) and say - I'm thinking about a new chipper, what lines do you carry - what model(s) do you recommend for my machine. He'll say - I carry X & Y - their specs are on the net (he knows I'm an internet geek) - check it out.

I've also stopped in to ask his opinion on Midwest attachments (I bought an aerator a couple years back) - he said he had heard of them, but didn't have any first hand knowledge. For the price I paid - he said he couldn't touch it & even if it wasn't "commercial" quality - It would probably do well with my small tractor.

When purchasing my B3030 I did lots of research. For example on the quick attach bucket - I knew I wanted to go with the ATI skid steer solution & bradco light duty forks. It's all about how you approach it. When meeting with the salesman, I explained that I'd been doing my homework (on the net) & had found this solution. I asked what did he think, how did it compare to the Kubota solution & was there any other way that I hadn't uncovered yet. I also asked if they would modify the Kubota bucket or if they had something else they could install - he said use the ATI bucket.

Now that you've vented & had a chance to cool off, you could take this opportunity to pay it forward with your dealer. Call the salesmanup & take him out for breakfast. Explain how his reaction is turning you off & how there are many more folks out there like you. He may appreciate the feedback...

Often when the consumer is researching a specific model on the internet - he will have uncovered more "information" (valid or not) than the salesman who deals with the entire line or lines of tractors + attachments. The salesman needs to be aware of that & handle it appropriately. Many suggestions above on how to "diffuse the over-educated" buyer.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #17  
I dunno if you can expect them to NOT get defensive sometimes. They used to be THE SOURCE for all information on their brands/products. Now instead of being able to deliver their sermons and have them taken for gospel they get blindsided by all kinds of stuff 'off the internet'.

Customers are better informed these days. Either get used to it or lose customers. I know I would not go back to a dealer that I thought was talking out his #$%.

;)

Charles

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #18  
So when is Kubota going to get on the ball and put their MSRP on their site?

When I purchased my L4630GSTC I told the salesman what kind of pricing that I had seen on the net and it was good for some more money off their price, not as good as some of the other prices that I had seen here, but close.

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #19  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I am about the most literate and supportive dealer of putting info on the internet.. but I can relate with this.
Internet savy customers...
Ehh.. you misspelled savvy :D
Y'know, this goes both ways... (present company excluded of course, but) how many times have you have been talking to a salesman, any salesman, and you knew more than they did about the product in question? Unfortunately I'd have to say that this happens more often than not. I too do my homework, anywhere from weeks to months, but I still expect that the guy who does this everyday for a living knows more than I do... and when he doesn't, cue the red flag.
The salespeople that are getting bent out of shape over it are the ones who are going to, and should, lose if they don't snap out of it and step up their game. I'll bet they're the same ones that could care less about your satisfaction after the check's cleared, therefore the reason why you don't see more in the forums.
And then there's Neil... who sets a pretty good example for the rest to follow (just don't let it go to your head :p )

/ Kubota dealer turns ugly. #20  
CMRVA said:
The dealers who can't deal with internet customers are probably just not good sales people, meaning there is a way to diffuse a price only customer if you are a good sales person. Acknowledge the customer's efforts, and then point out what else your dealership offers beyond the sticker price. If not, that's when sales people verbally fight with customers, which in my opinion, should never happen. ... If you are good, you are not threatened by a customer who has done research.
Well said. And, sounds like you've got yourself a dealer for life there, congrats.