Dealer Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ?

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #11  
You don't find Walmarts in out of the way places with a few guys that provide good service. It is the way of the new world. I don't like it and resist it, but people don't honor good service, they buy where they get the lowest price. Anyone who has bought anything at Walmart is to blame.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #12  
You don't find Walmarts in out of the way places with a few guys that provide good service. It is the way of the new world. I don't like it and resist it, but people don't honor good service, they buy where they get the lowest price. Anyone who has bought anything at Walmart is to blame.

Most people price shop as stated by TomSeller. Tractor buyers are no different. Farmers in my area are known to be the closest price shoppers any where which has given my community a sales mentality of most items selling below MSRP which I like/appreciate.
Over the years many small shop owners have priced their inventory/services based on their and their family needs. Need a boat, new car, new big home and expensive travel. Similar to union workers earning 4 to 8 times more than their neighbors. This causes people to say "no" with their money which they worked hard to earn and can't get more money/raise just because they want a new car or boat. Growing up the families that had parents that owned a business were thought to have more money than us kids of L&N Railroad employees/retirees. Not all business owners families but some and it's the same today. Maybe just better money managers or just bought more visible "toys" and not the staples of life which is all we could afford.
Now to Kubota. Kubota owns almost all of the new Kubotas on those lots. Kubota has a big investment in that equipment and wants/needs it sold. The Company as most franchise companies provides a lot of costly support to franchise dealers. Every dealer costs Kubota a certain amount of money as with all other franchise dealers. Financial accounting means that cost for dealers and dealer support is spread out over all dealers which makes it very obvious which dealer is not carrying their share of the cost that all dealers eventually end up paying which means Messicks/Barlows and other volume selling dealers are paying for the mom and pop that want to be Kubota dealers but can't/don't carry their load. If Kubota structured their business model different and charged each dealer more or less money for the tractor based on their purchasing history or even sold the new tractors to the dealers and let them price them at any price they choose it would/could be different. Most buyers would NOT buy from the 5 sales a year mom and pop since they would have to pay so much more to buy from them than the bigger high volume dealer, like Wal Mart.
Some of the things about the 1950s and 1960s (my "early" growing up years, still working on growing up) I liked better than now but not every thing.
I've worked for others and I've owned my own businesses. Not every one is able/capable/qualified to operate a financially successful business. I much prefer working for someone else if they are capable than working for myself. I hate the headaches of self employment. Some people don't hate it but shouldn't be doing it and in time they usually end up not doing it as the buying public lets them go.
I believe Kubota does have protected areas. Don't think they'll allow two franchise owners in the same town/close area. Barlows sold another brand along with Kubota when I started buying from them. That company/brand started allowing another dealer less than 10 miles away to sell their brand so Bralows stopped selling them and just sells Kubota brand tractors and at good prices and a bunch of them and also has a good service dept and has been there steadily growing for several years.
We the consumer are the driving force of who stays in business and who goes out of business. We control the release of our dollars, who to and when we will release them except for taxes and they just take them and are still in business and growing bigger every day.
The internet has been the latest economy changer and I for one like being able to price shop at home rather than pay what's asked or drive all over to get the best fair price.
Do you support a higher price or do you shop USA only or best price?:confused:

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #13  
I am someone that wants to buy local even if I pay several hundred dollars more. Now with that said, I need to explain. My thought process is if I can buy local from a "good" dealer who will take care of me after the sale it is worth 200 -400 dollars more. Now if we are talking about alot of money difference I will probably lean towards the lower price. My "local" dealer is 30 miles away which isn't too bad. When purchasing an auto I will always take my best price into the local dealer and tell them I would pay a little more to keep the business local, if they want to deal that is great, if not that is okay also. Earlier this year I bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler for our "play toy", when I went to look at the local dealer's inventory no one ever came out to talk to me, so I left and ended up purchasing the vehicle 70 miles from home. I took the vehicle in for service at the local dealer and they were happy to service my vehicle. Then decided to buy a lifetime warranty from Chrysler, got the best price on the internet, took it to the local dealer and asked if they would match, they did. Now I believe they are working toward future business from me due to those transactions. So concerning higher price, USA only, or best price, I guess I look at all three.

I want a dealer to support me after the sale not just during the sale.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #14  
Anyone who has bought anything at Walmart is to blame.

+1!

In the last 10 years I've bought a toothbrush and a padlock there. I was broken down in my truck and had to get towed somewhere. I couldn't go anywhere else, otherwise I would never have stepped foot in there.

It might seem like a good deal, but it isn't worth it in the long run.

Just like cheap food. You can pay the farmer a little more now, or you can pay the pharmacist later. Your choice.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #15  
I would rather buy from a plain old good dealer than a bad fancy one.

I second that,so many things today are just for show ,never mind the heart and soul of someones business .

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #16  
When I saw the post about SC Penna., I thought I just might have a bit of un-informed insight about the situation. I believe that Messick's has bought out several smaller tractor/farm implement dealers in that area. I guess consolidation would be the term, but there certainly are advantages when a company gets bigger. Everyone can benefit from buying power and business efficiencies.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #17  
I am someone that wants to buy local even if I pay several hundred dollars more. Now with that said, I need to explain. My thought process is if I can buy local from a "good" dealer who will take care of me after the sale it is worth 200 -400 dollars more. Now if we are talking about alot of money difference I will probably lean towards the lower price. My "local" dealer is 30 miles away which isn't too bad. When purchasing an auto I will always take my best price into the local dealer and tell them I would pay a little more to keep the business local, if they want to deal that is great, if not that is okay also. Earlier this year I bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler for our "play toy", when I went to look at the local dealer's inventory no one ever came out to talk to me, so I left and ended up purchasing the vehicle 70 miles from home. I took the vehicle in for service at the local dealer and they were happy to service my vehicle. Then decided to buy a lifetime warranty from Chrysler, got the best price on the internet, took it to the local dealer and asked if they would match, they did. Now I believe they are working toward future business from me due to those transactions. So concerning higher price, USA only, or best price, I guess I look at all three.

I want a dealer to support me after the sale not just during the sale.

I think this attitude mirrors the way "most" of us feel/believe/act. It does me.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #18  
Hey Mechanicsburg!

'Messicks' is right down the road from you. We have a store in Carlisle on RT74.

No one in our area has gone out of business. There has been a lot of buying and selling of dealerships as of late due to owners retiring. There would be a lot of new names out there. O.C. Rice and York Tractor come to mind. We bought Peterman Power about two years ago. Stauffer bros had their contact pulled and given to someone else. Its a tough business, but no one has 'gone out of business' for financial reasons.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #19  
It's difficult sometimes to evaluate the long term viability of a tractor dealer.

I bought my first tractor, a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL, from a local dealer that had been selling Botas for 35 years. This dealership was top notch (huge inventory, big parts dept, multi-bay service area). Not a mom and pop operation.

What I didn't know was that there were multiple owners (the kids who inherited the business when the father died) and one of them wanted to liquidate the business. After a court battle, the liquidation proceeded and the business was closed. This happened 6 months after I bought my tractor. Fortunately there was another Kubota dealer about 45 miles away.

I was fortunate with my little Bota. Owned it for three years and had no problems. Only cost was filters, oil and hydraulic fluid.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #20  
I shopped and bought locally. A large Kubota dealer in southern Colorado treated me well in person, but didn't follow up with the promised quote until I called twice. I got a slightly better price from a smaller local dealer and purchased from then, but they have a lot of big agricultural customers and seemingly don't care much about small customers. So I bought local, but I might have done better to purchase elsewhere.