Dealer Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ?

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #21  
Several of the Kubota Dealers I have done business with closed... there are none left in my county or several adjoining counties... kind of sad because I'm sure it impacts area sales with no local Dealer support.

One was always demonstrating at the county fair and always had a crowd... the owner told me how important it is to market... when he passed away the kids decided the consumer side of the market was not worth the effort and left compact tractors altogether.

Very good friends of mine are 3 generation clothing shop owners and had great relationships with their suppliers and every year volume increased.

Several of the long time suppliers cut them off... Levi's was one... simply said their business model no longer includes small family stores... the kind of shops that put them on the map.

Not all companies are like this... to their credit, Pendleton is very supportive of established family business... the sales Rep said they have not forgotten how they started.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #22  
Stihl quit selling through my friends business.

He was a dealer either 30 or 40 years, I forget. Mostly sold to business and government accounts. We could trust him on what would be best for our needs.

They wanted him to showroom the entire line.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #23  
Several of the Kubota Dealers I have done business with closed... there are none left in my county or several adjoining counties... kind of sad because I'm sure it impacts area sales with no local Dealer support.

One was always demonstrating at the county fair and always had a crowd... the owner told me how important it is to market... when he passed away the kids decided the consumer side of the market was not worth the effort and left compact tractors altogether.

Very good friends of mine are 3 generation clothing shop owners and had great relationships with their suppliers and every year volume increased.

Several of the long time suppliers cut them off... Levi's was one... simply said their business model no longer includes small family stores... the kind of shops that put them on the map.

Not all companies are like this... to their credit, Pendleton is very supportive of established family business... the sales Rep said they have not forgotten how they started.

I was going to say there isn't a single CUT dealer left in Alameda or Contra Costa County but then I remembered there is a Mahindra dealer in Martinez, though I consider them a camper shell dealer that happens to sell Mahindras on the side. There are still a few construction equipment dealers left, Ditch Witch, Bobcat, Gehl, Cat, etc.

The demographics have certainly changed since I went to work for my first Kubota dealer 27 years ago. I think at that time there were 3 Kubota or CUT dealers in this area.

Brian

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #24  
I hate big fancy stealerships, they suck. Everything neat and tidy, most of their service sucks and parts are always at full tilt retail.

I'll buy from the small guy ANY day.

Fred

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #25  
I'll buy from the small guy ANY day.

Most of us 'Big' guys where small guys at one time :). In my 11 years here our employment has more than doubled. Consolidation and growth of dealerships in this business is the norm, and really a necessary evil. The complexity of the business, staffing, and capital that it takes to meet the expectations of your vendors are just too much for a shop selling a few dozen units a year. We talk all the time about how to continue providing a small shop experience while continuing to grow. Its a challenge.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #26  
The BIG dealers around here buy up the small ones then THE PRICES GO UP and there is NO competition. Just bought a new dump wagon new for $4,700 that the big dealer who owns everything just down the street wouldn't let go for less than $5,900. Owner of the small dealer has been approached many times by the big guy to sell out to them.

END OF STORY!

Regards, Fred

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #27  
If the small guys can grow into the big guys and keep the special qualities, that is great.....but VERY rare.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #28  
As an independent mobile equipment mechanic, it bodes well for me that the general concensus is that dealers are overpriced. I don't think it is true in most cases, but there seems to be enough out there making a bad name for them all.

Brian

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #29  
Kubota Canada operates with protected sales territory, I am equal distance between 2 dealerships and given my home address I am only allowed to buy new at the one east of me.

I can buy parts and have my tractor serviced at any dealership though. All the Kub dealership I have seen are huge and sell only Kubotas, no dual Kub/JD or Kub/NH as far as I can tell.

/ Kubota Dealers Going Out of Business ? What Gives ? #30  
Most of us 'Big' guys where small guys at one time :). In my 11 years here our employment has more than doubled. Consolidation and growth of dealerships in this business is the norm, and really a necessary evil. The complexity of the business, staffing, and capital that it takes to meet the expectations of your vendors are just too much for a shop selling a few dozen units a year. We talk all the time about how to continue providing a small shop experience while continuing to grow. Its a challenge.

The several counties I mentioned have a population of many millions... it would seem like Kubota would want at least one Dealer in the region.

We do have Caterpillar and Deere Construction... just no compacts except a Mahindra with a few tractors in with the camping and truck gear.