Snow Kubota front snow blade suggestions

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #11  
daugen said:
My local dealer has suggested a seven foot WR Long snow blade, for a price around 2300 which includes shipping and all the connections. FBH84 This is also about the same price Everything Attachments shows, so I know it's in the right range.
It's the lighter duty one, I'm pushing snow only, unlikely will push much gravel, though possible. Power angle, and I already have the third front connector.
I can find very few other options out there, which surprised me. Meyers makes one, big bucks, likely very HD.
I'm considering this for a long farm macadam driveway, almost 3/4 mile since there is a front end and a back end section. Last time I plowed snow with a blade was as a kid with a John Deere B and a manually pumped hydraulic lift. Like to forget that
experience of pumping my arm off.

I have a cab 5740 and the dealer suggested a seven footer to clear the rear tires on tilt. It all makes sense to me, the price seems reasonable, but wonder if others have found different solutions. I already have a Long grapple bucket, with big teeth on it, so that isn't going to help me with snow for sure. thanks. Drew

This is a decent price all inclusive with hydraulic angle kit ready to go. You will be happy with it for its intended use. It's not a bull dozer remember.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #12  
I ran across a post on a different forum -- here's a link to the photo of a plastic-blade (but HD metal brackets). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/4shorts/Rear LED light bar/re11.jpg

I like this mounting -- it's close to the loader frame instead of sticking out a ways. He posted a video with more details.

I was wondering if a person could buy a 3-pt QA adapter and use a 3pt rear blade, but have it out in front (either use the back of the blade or turn the blade so that it faces forward). Would that work?

Thats made by 4shorts (Paul) on this forum. Look under Snow Removal forum for more. I more or less copied his design, and several others on here have done similar setups keeping the blade close in. I have a thread on the snow forum on my build.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #13  
Yep. That's our tractor. The blade you see on it started its life as a Canadian built Arctic poly blade back in 1994. It was used on my GMC truck for 13 years then I purchased a Kubota GL4240 in 2008 and decided to convert the blade to fit the tractor. My main goal was to keep it close to the FEL which I did and its worked flawlessly since.

In 2011 I bought a GL5740 and the blade is on it now as you can see in the picture you supplied the link to.
I've made this blade fit my every need. It has rear skids and last year I added a front shock to absorb the shock when the blade trips on the trip springs. Yesterday was its first trip out for the season. The tractor has 73 hours on it now. Nice to be in the seat again :)

Here's a link to the original build to give you an idea of how it's done.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/131136-snow-plow-adapted-fel.html

Some updated plow photos in this link:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/256183-arctic-poly-skin.html

Photo taken yesterday just before the snow fell. Taken with iPhone :eek:

If you decide you'd like to add a few mods to your 5740 I've added a list that I've done to ours to give you a few ideas :D

Note: All of these mods that are listed here have threads on this site showing them. If you see anything you like just search for threads started by "4shorts" and you'll find them all.

Custom additions

- Modified the FEL tubes for storage area's by machining custom caps for the tubes.

- Modified the truck plow to adapt to the tractors FEL.

- Modified the bucket by adding a top guard and hooks.

- Added custom built emergency light bar and LED emergency light to the top of the cab.

- Added L.E.D. strobe lighting to the rear of the snow blower and built custom boxes to house them in.

- Added custom build boxes to the plow so Super Nova L.E.D. strobe lights could be installed adding extra lighting to the FEL side on when plowing.

- Added a reverse beeper. (not a small task on these tractors)

- Added a reverse camera with a color 7" LCD monitor that is also inferred and has a built in microphone in the camera it's self. The camera was adapted to the top rear light making it appear that it was always there.

- Gauge pods were added to each side of the LCD monitor and an ambient air temperature and digital volt gauge was added to each pod.

- Two RAM mounts were added in the cab for mounting various items like my phone and MP3 recorder. Also a new mount was just installed for the new IPhone 4

- A moisture sensing system was adapted to the wiper system so when I'm using the tractor the wipers will work automatically when snow or water is present on the windshields. That way I don't need to be switching the wipers on and off myself. The system takes care of that for me.

- Mud flaps were added to the front fenders to help keep the water off the front glass when traveling the machine.

- All powder coated upper mud flap hardware was removed and replaced with stainless hardware.

- All common steel hardware that was present on the snow blower was replaced with stainless steel to prevent corrosion.

- Some custom badging and company lettering was added to the tractor.

- Custom trim was added to the rear fenders to give it a more refined look.

- Added a parking brake warning light. Well a better one that came with the tractor

- The rear factory lollipop top lights that came with the tractor were replaced with L.E.D. lollipop lights.

- Added a few cool rubber holders on the snow blower to hold a shovel and bar.

- A LED light was added to the cab step so it's easy to see where to place your feet in the dark.

- Fabricated a custom coffee mug holder.

- Designed and fabricated a front bumper with quad flashing LED lights and shackle Center.

- Fabricated an aluminum forward light bar and installed a LED light on it including two side mounted LED alley lights

- Designed and built an LED 4X4 display indicator for the cab.

- Designed a custom LED mount for the snowblower chute. Installed two LED lights on the chute so I could early see where the snow is going.

- Designed and fabricated an exhaust stack conversation kit to for the Kubota Grand L 5740 HST-C3.

- Replaced the stereo system with a Sony X-Plod and Infinity speakers.

- Installed an air horn.

- Added a power plug for charging cell phone at the dash.

- Added rear wheel weights and fabricated custom Center caps for them.

- Custom fitted the floor to accept a new Grammer Air Ride seat.

- Added a rear view mirror

- Added a shock to the front snow blade to eliminate blade recoil after hitting obstacle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:
   / Kubota front snow blade suggestions
Guys, thanks for all the great input. 4shorts, you are amazing. I had to laugh about your coffee mug holder; the stock one is too big and let's my coffee spill all over the place...
and to have a little fun with you, an exhaust stack conversation kit is a new one for me. Sometimes I talk to myself, never thought about talking to my muffler...:laughing:

My tooth bar comes off with just two bolts, once I'm done with my wood collecting, which frankly I'll never be, I can try out the bucket by itself, but probably only to clean up after someone else has plowed;
having neither skid plates nor a trip mechanism, I think I could do some damage pretty quickly. And the shape of the bucket seems all wrong for snow.
I'm better at writing a check vs. custom fab, so the Long plow is likely the way I'll go, assuming "Global Warming" (can we still say that??) allows some snow this winter.
thanks again. Drew

Attachments

• P1010724.jpg
    P1010724.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 519
   / Kubota front snow blade suggestions #15  
Guys, thanks for all the great input. 4shorts, you are amazing. I had to laugh about your coffee mug holder; the stock one is too big and let's my coffee spill all over the place...
and to have a little fun with you, an exhaust stack conversation kit is a new one for me. Sometimes I talk to myself, never thought about talking to my muffler...:laughing:

thanks again. Drew

Thanks Drew. Doing that stack was exhausting work :laughing: Glad I did it though and that coffee mug holder is in the right position plus the mug I'm using is spill proof and keeps the liquid hot for 1.5 -2 hours. Love it ;)
Here are the links to those threads if your interested in doing something like it.
Watch using your bucket snow clearing. The guy i sold my 4240 to used the bucket and just about tore up his pavement. :eek:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/214487-kubota-grand-l-5740hstc3-stack.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/219462-cup-holder-grand-l.html

ecom6.jpg

pic7-1.jpg

pic8-1.jpg

pic10.jpg

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #16  
For me with 3/4 of a mile and a L5740, I'd buy a pull type blower. Yes, people like to complain about driving thru the snow first but it works just fine. No one up here in Ottawa uses anything other than pull type if they are trying to make money at it.

Pushing only works if you have short distances, lots of room to pile and little wind to worry about drifting

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #17  
You realy should have trip springs on a snow plow for when you hit something solid.
With that setup you would have no trip spring protection.

Yeah, I was thinking about that -- I was wondering about replacing the top link with some kind of a shock absorber or car strut. Maybe even a short section of log chain with some kind of spring relief or something.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions
I think I saw a Northern Tools hydraulic upper link shock absorber listed. Not a top/tilt, device but a shock absorber. A Bilstein for your blade...

Not familiar with a pull type blower, only a three point hitch one or in front. You guys in the real North have some interesting equipment. I'll start Googling.

Some of my favorite YouTube videos are the train mounted front snowblowers blasting through drifts. As we might dream for our CUT and medium size tractors after the Blizzard of 2013.

There are some seriously neat larger size tractors recorded also, pushing large snow pusher blades across half a large parking lot. 8 wheel drive... some of them backed up so fast I had to wonder
if they were driving safely, which likely they were, listening to whatever music turns them on through their Bose sound system. As long as they gave her a good bath every day to get the salt off, I think that's one good way of keeping your equipment warmed up in the winter. There's also a video of a Fendt clearing an Alpine farm road that is just gorgeous.

But if I spend 2500 bucks on the snowblade and it doesn't snow, well...perhaps Gloobal Wandering really has arrived.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #19  
Not familiar with a pull type blower, only a three point hitch one or in front. You guys in the real North have some interesting equipment. I'll start Googling.

Pull type still mounts on the 3pt hitch, basically built the same as a conventional with the mounting arms on the other side. Look up either Normand or Pronovost. In my opinion, probably the 2 top names in the snowblower business.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #20  
I have the Curtis Tractor Snow plow that attaches to the FEL via the 4 pins. I also have the WR Long 3rd function valve for my grapple and 4N1 Bucket. The valve works great for angling the the plow. I really like WR Longs products. They have held up to all of my abuse!

Their Front Blade looks like it is built like everything else they make, so I wouldn't hesitate to pick that up. At the time I got my Curtis blade, Long was not making the front blades. As mentioned earlier, you definetly want a plow with Trip Springs for those un-seeable objects that magically appear under the snow!

Just make sure you have enough rear ballast. I have found if I don't have enough weight back there, the plow can get pushed around easily. When I have the back hoe on, I can push the snow banks back pretty good, but I also have a much smaller tractor than you.