Kubota KH8-2 info

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
Thanks,

I have 2 questions.

What oil do I buy for the D850 engine?
I found a filter kit on ebay for a KH8 !

One track is too loose, do I tighten with a grease gun?

One leaver is stiff to operate, I need to look at that.

Thanks
James

/ Kubota KH8-2 info #12  
It should take a little over three and a half quarts and you can use Kubota Diesel engine oil or any quality diesel oil such as Rotella (Don't really not syn.oil, reg. dino oil is fine)

Not sure on your machine but the new Kubota's (if looking at the side of the track assembly) have a small plate that is held on with two bolts (think it is two), you unbolt that little plate and the grease fitting is behind it. When you pump in grease it tightens the tracks - don't over tighten them or they wear more.
Hope that helps

/ Kubota KH8-2 info #13  
So what did you pay?

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
Thanks, picked up some 15W40. Get filters tomorrow.

Is it worth changing the hydraulic oil? What would you use if so?

Thanks

/ Kubota KH8-2 info #15  
If it has some hrs on it and you don't know when it was changed it would be a good idea. You also should have oil in the final drives (motors that move the tracks) - they mostly don't hold much (maybe 2 qts) and that oil is sealed in there and not part of a bigger system so it should be changed.
As for the Hydro oil, Kubota mostly says UDT oil, but really for it being an older unit I would use any major brand Hydro oil that meets the Kubota spec (Most the big companies say they meet the following specs on the back of the 5 gallon jug and it lists a BUNCH of major manufactures such as Kubota)
May want to change your fuel filter as well (If it gets clogged you won't be doing anything)

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
If it has some hrs on it and you don't know when it was changed it would be a good idea. You also should have oil in the final drives (motors that move the tracks) - they mostly don't hold much (maybe 2 qts) and that oil is sealed in there and not part of a bigger system so it should be changed.
As for the Hydro oil, Kubota mostly says UDT oil, but really for it being an older unit I would use any major brand Hydro oil that meets the Kubota spec (Most the big companies say they meet the following specs on the back of the 5 gallon jug and it lists a BUNCH of major manufactures such as Kubota)
May want to change your fuel filter as well (If it gets clogged you won't be doing anything)

Great thanks. I will pickup some oil for the final drives.
I have a fuel filter ready for it too.

Regarding a workshop manual. i think i found the Kubota part number for it. 07909-70041 ? Can i get this anywhere?

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
Im stuck with the oil level.

The fill and drain plugs are top and bottom. But what about the fill level? Alot more oil than i anticipated came out (3-4 litres).

Photo 22-07-2016, 19 44 27 (1).jpgPhoto 22-07-2016, 19 44 39 (1).jpg

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
Track tightening appears to be a manual screw ?

Photo 22-07-2016, 19 45 08.jpgPhoto 22-07-2016, 19 45 00.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 22-07-2016, 19 44 27 (1).jpg
    Photo 22-07-2016, 19 44 27 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • Photo 22-07-2016, 19 44 39 (1).jpg
    Photo 22-07-2016, 19 44 39 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
   / Kubota KH8-2 info #19  
That is a lot different than the newer models..... The newer ones use a grease nipple for the tracks and grease pressure holds everything in place. Very simple and works great.

Manuals - may want to try this place, seems to have a lot of older ones:
Kubota - PDF Repair Manuals | Johns PDF Service/Shop Manuals

Here is a video on final drives that may help you out a bit
Excavator Final Drive Motor - How To Check Gear Oil Level - YouTube
mostly fill in one hold to the oil level hits the other hole but not positive on your machine. It is a great idea to change that since you are a new owner of that machine, who knows if and when it was changed. Sorry I can't give you more specific information

/ Kubota KH8-2 info
Thank you.

Today i managed to tension the tracks. Does this look reasonable? i set them to sit 1.5" below center roller.

Also lifted the seat out and floor panel to check the swivel motor.
The gearbox for that was dry :-/

Photo 24-07-2016, 14 00 57.jpg