Oil & Fuel Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #1  

ZenNohItWontStart

Tractor
Zen-Noh ZL1501
As many people before me have encountered I am having a hard time priming the fuel system on a Kubota L185 equivalent tractor. After reading as much information as I could find and trying my best, I still can't get fuel to the injectors. Here is the back story and what I have tried thus far:

I acquired a Zen-Noh ZL1501 (from what I read it's basically a Kubota L185/L175 15HP diesel tractor). The machine apparently sat outside for several years and when it came to me it was missing a starter and an exhaust pipe. Neither the exhaust manifold or the flywheel housing seemed to have had too much water damage, so I replaced both of these items and started working on the fuel situation. I drained the tank since I felt it had some water mixed in and changed the filter. I then primed the fuel filter and the line from the filter to the injector pump. After closer inspection I discovered the lines coming out of the injector pump to the injectors were disconnected and had some dust/dirt in the area so I carefully brushed away what I could and finished cleaning with compressed air. I then removed the lines to the injectors, cleaned them and re-installed them on the injector pump outlet and proceeded to crack them open at the injectors themselves. After spending a week cranking the engine(at full throttle), I still haven't been able to purge the system of air. I noticed some fuel at the outlet of the rear cylinder supply on the top of the injector pump but it never made it to the injector itself. I even spent about 30 minutes pulling the tractor around in high gear turning the engine over and still no fuel at the injectors.

I can't seem to locate the engine shutoff knob/lever and am wondering if I am missing something here and my fuel is shutoff. The only lever I see attached to the fuel pump is the throttle itself.
I am also wondering if the piston in the fuel pump is stuck in the upward position and may need to be freed up in order to allow the fuel to pump.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Please see the attached photos for reference.

-ZenNohItWontStart 20190809_231951.jpg20190809_232122.jpg20190809_232117.jpg20190809_232111.jpg20190809_232022.jpg20190809_232017.jpg20190809_232008.jpg20190809_232002.jpg20190809_231955.jpgIMG_2216.jpg

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #2  
If there is no stop it can be that you have the stop when you pull the hand gas all the way back.

If you remove the pipe, does com fuel out of the pump when turning on the starter? You have found all the bleed screws on the pump?

Do you hear that retur diesel is coming back to the fuel tank?

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #3  
I see old fuel hoses, replace them, you do not want air leak in to the fuel feed.

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump
If I remove the fuel lines coming from the top of the pump I see its slightly wet on the rear cylinder supply. I used the bleed screw in the filter and on the pump inlet to purge air up to that point. There is a 1/4 turn valve toward the bottle of the pump that almost looks like a drain valve to me and I've tried priming with and without that open(see attached pictures).

The fuel lines are definetaly old and I will replace them but I pressurized each of them and found no leaks there.

Is there a manual priming method I could try? Is it possible the internals of the pump are not moving and need to be freed up?

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #5  
Does it have a hand pump? Does the diesel flow good when you are bleeding it?

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #6  
I hardly ever tell people this BUT, inorder to make this go quicker, remove the lines AT THE PUMP.. a "SLIGHT BEND" is OK to get them out of your way.
Use the double wrench method>> 1 wrench to loosen the LINE & 1 wrench to HOLD THE PUMP OUTLET{delivery valve holder}
THIS WAY u wont be burning up the starter looking for fuel at the injectors..
REMOVE the cover below the inj. pump.. that will give u access to the pump/engine control rack..
Move the lever on the speed control back & forth.. does it move the pump control rack.??
The small petcock is an oil drain.. I assume the pump requires its own oil & sits in an oil bath to lube the bottom of the pump.??
U can move the control rack on the pump 1 way or the other to FIND shut-off & full fuel..
I hope this helps a little..

No hand pump but it flows well to the top of the injector pump.

Currently there is no oil in that pump housing. It was my understanding that the crankcase shared the same oil reservoir and when the engine is running it should get lubricated, but I could definetaly be wrong there.

When I move the throttle, niether of the 2 levers in the pump seem to move, just the springs attached to the throttle assembly.

/ Kubota L185/Zen-Noh ZL1501 - Trouble Priming Injector Pump #9  
Seeing it has its OWN DRAIN.. I would say its separate.?? but IDK for sure.. a manual would be handy..
Seeing the rod on the pump doesn't move.. THATS your problem..
Those rods are made of very thin stamped "steel".. & easily bendable.. so be careful.
You either need to get the rod in the pump to move OR pull the pump & let someone w/ experience tackle that..

Yea that does make sense. I read in another thread someone mentioned spraying some penetrating oil in the pump internals to free things up but that an oil change would be in order afterwards because this drains into the crankcase. But, having its own drain I leaning more on your side that it needs its own lubrication. Im going to try and snap a few good pictures of what I see inside the pump to ensure we are on the same page here.

If I do decide to pull the pump is it fairly straight forward or do I need to me concerned with tearing anything up/bending springs etc.

Once pulled could I soak the unit in diesel or some penetrating lube etc to try and free things up?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help.