Buying Advice Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #1  

LateStart

Tractor
not yet.
Hey There, Newbie on board tonight. I live in Central Florida and just purchased a 3 acre lot with home. About 2.25acres available to farm. I worked on the family farm growing up and now am going to revisit the joys of dirt on my hands. Our plans are to raise cows, goat, chickens and large garden. We currently have 2 cows and more than 20 Oaks that have been neglected for decades (some over 75' tall). I've been searching for a tractor and trying to balance Needs vs Wants vs Cost. Age old story around here, I'm sure.

Needs:
1. Wood Chipper. The Oaks are in need of major trimming. Estimate 3 weeks work, full time. I'm looking at the Liberty Implements WCL-5. PTO 16hp requirement.
2. Rotovator: Planning a larger sized garden. My Dad had a Howard rotovator and I really enjoyed using it instead of the front tined rototiller.
3. Auger: Seems almost all of the fence posts around the 3 fields are either rotted or soon to be.
4. FEL: Site Prep for a 24X40X12' garage/workshop/tractor storage.
5. Rotary Cutter a.k.a. Bush Hog: 5' mower for pasture maintenance.
Wants:
1. Box Blade: Have 1000' of gravel drive to maintain. Not a problem yet.
2. Pallet forks: More for moving large rocks.
3. PTO Spreader: Grass seeding pastures.
4. Chain Harrow

So, to get to the point of this post.....
I'm considering:
Kubota L2501 HST with CA525 loader, BushHog 5 rotary, 12" auger and Canopy for $23,493.00 includes Doc Fee and 5 year "insurance" to cover the 0 down, 0.0 finance 5yr period.
OR
John Deere 3038e with JD loader (don't know the #), 5' JD Bucket, Fontier 5ft rotary cutter, Frontier 5' Box Blade, 16' utility trailer with electric brakes, $24,500 not include insurance, with 5 yr 0 down, 0.0 finance. (figure another 1,000)

The wood chipper is listed as needing 16hp at the PTO. The Kubota 2501 specs PTO at 23.9hp. The JD 3038e PTO at 30hp. So far, HP is my only concern with the Kubota. The usual "more is better" mantra regards HP.
The overall look, feel, price, resale value and reputation of the Kubota has me leaning that way. But, The HP of the JD, along with the package deal with trailer is calling.

Can anyone here offer real life experience on either machine?
Carl

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #2  
Well from what I understand, the 3038e doesn't offer an "off seat pto" meaning you can't run a wood chipper. If I were you id price out a 3301 Kubota and just see how much more it is for a bit more hp if you're worried about that.

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #3  
Is the 3038e an HST machine? If so, it is only 2 ranges with an aluminum housing, a lot of people think that is a problem. I personally do not know if it would be or not. I also recommend looking at the Kubota 3301.

Down the road, with 1000' of road to maintain, you should really consider one of these type implements.

Do some more research, ask lots of questions. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P4190013.JPG
    P4190013.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 1,012
  • P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 758
   / Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e
Thanks guys. 2200 more for thee 3301. Signng papers today. More info later.

So, It comes down to JD 3038E with D160 FEL for $21,490 or Kubota L3301 with L525 FEL for $21,140. This is an Green vs Orange toss up.

There has to be more in this than 5HP difference. Both are HST, JD has 2 range (HI/LOW), 2 hydro pumps (steering/Implement) 38hp/30pto, knob control of PTO.
Kubota has 3 range (HI/MID/LOW), single hydro pump, 33hp/26.2pto, clutch with side slide control.

What else have I missed? Anyone with experience with one or both machines?

My uses are dirt moving, pasture mowing, wood chipping (16hp PTO min for chipper), rotovator for large gardens.

Thanks guys. 2200 more for thee 3301. Signng papers today. More info later.

And then....As I was sitting in the Kubota parking lot, ready to go in and sign The Papers, JD dealer calls and makes an offer.

So, Let's skip all the implements, taxes, doc fee, etc. and just get to the Machines.

JD 3038E @ $17837 vs K l3301 @ 16456

Is it really just an issues of 1400 for 5 hp or is there more to it?

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #7  
Go with the KUbota. Look both over closely and you will see a big difference in quality. I just bought a 3301 and they dropped it off last night. I got the gear shift loader weighted tires block heater a set of forks and a box scraped for 22700 out the door. I looked a the same model JD as you and the quality was not there. plus it does not have steering brakes or a drawbar which you have to buy extra

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #8  
The Deere is an economy model, and not very well setup compared to the Kubota L (which itself is a basic model for Kubota, but still much better equipped). We have one of the Deere economy models in my family, and it's OK for a budget tractor, but in my opinion unless you're financially constrained, take the money and put it towards a more substantial, better equipped tractor.

For what you want to do, I think the L is a good choice, but go with more HP -- either a 3200/3301 or a 3800/3901.

That wood chipper either looks like a white-label version of a Wallenstein (don't know if they do that) or a Chinese knock-off. Be sure you know what it is. I can tell you that the real Wallenstein model in that size is north of $2700-2800, so that might say something. Maybe ask where they are made, but the website and specs all have the making of a Chinese knockoff. Anyhow, I have the Wally, and you really should have at least 25HP at the PTO to run it, and more HP won't hurt. They say 16+ HP on that Liberty website, but that is not realistic unless you're only chipping toothpicks.

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #9  
And then....As I was sitting in the Kubota parking lot, ready to go in and sign The Papers, JD dealer calls and makes an offer.

So, Let's skip all the implements, taxes, doc fee, etc. and just get to the Machines.

JD 3038E @ $17837 vs K l3301 @ 16456

Is it really just an issues of 1400 for 5 hp or is there more to it?

I don't own either, or any of the manufacturers machines for that matter. In my opinion, the only 2 pluses that the JD has over the Kubota is 5hp :thumbsup:and the color. :confused3: And the color is just a personal preference, has NOTHING to do with JD. Here is Kubota's comparison sheet, although only to the 3032E. Here is JD comparison.

No removing the loader of the JD. :thumbdown:

2 range HST. :thumbdown:

Aluminum transmission housing. :thumbdown:

Only 2 rear remotes available. :thumbdown:

About 700lbs lighter. :thumbdown:

Another thing, maybe it's just me, but I really really do not care for the exterior loader supports that run by the hood on the JD either. :no:

These are just what come to mind. What's odd is that I actually like the JD machines, just not these smaller e models.

If I were looking today for this size machine, I would be looking at the Korean models. ;)

Good luck with your decision. Oh, one last thing, you could bump up to the 3901 and get that additional HP. :cool:

Each of these manufacturers has comparisons, I could not get the JD site to work, so I didn't post anything for that, but you should really take a look at them before you make your purchase. ;)

/ Kubota L2501 vs JD 3038e #10  
The Deere will have an oil bathed pto clutch where the Kubota has a dry pto clutch. That's really the biggest differences besides the hydro ranges and whether you want two separate pedals vs a treddle pedal. The Deere will have less service whereas Kubota wants you to do more adjustments before 500 hours. Might be a big deal, might not. All in all I'm a Deere guy and would buy the 3301 if it were me.