Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520
Okay, can we all just get along!!! :D

I narrowed my search down ro Kubota and Deere because a have those two dealers near my house (both less then a mile from where I live!!!). The Deere dealer also sells Mahindra and the Kubota dealer also sells New Holland. However, I'm not interested in NH or Mahindra.

I am impressed by Kioti. But the nearest dealer is 50 miles away and the few times I stopped in that didn't seem too interested in selling me a tractor. If there was a reputable, interested dealer nearby I would definitely give them a closer look.

I had planned on going to the local dealerships last Saturday morning to drive the models I'm interested in but couldn't get away. (Ahhh, the joys of owning one's own business!!!)

One of the dealerships has a JD 3720 open station ehydro coming in (it's supposedly on its way!) so I will finally get to test drive that. All the 3720's I've ever seem at dealerships have been the cabbed model. (I don't need/want a cab - plus it would be too high to use in the basement of my barn.)

I currently own a 1995 JD 870 and have/use the following implements:
Kuhn 50" gear drive tiller
Bush Hog 275 5' rotary cutter (soon to be replaced by a Bush Hog 305?)*
Landpride 1572 6' disc harrow
Millcreek 125 bushel manure spreader

I also want to get a 2 bottom plow soon (2-14")

*I think the Bush Hog 305 rotary cutter would be pushing the limits of my JD 870. The 870 powers the Bush Hog 275 cutter fine (unless I get into some real heavy/thick grass) but weight can be an issue. Fortunately, I've always cut with the loader/bucket on to balance things out.

On a side note - I was surprised to see that the Bush Hog 295 (the successor the the Bush Hog 275 and 285 line of cutters, I believe) weighs as much at the 305 model. The 305 cutter looks much heavier/more rugged. Maybe it's just the way it's constructed/looks. They both weigh about 850#.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #22  
I wouldn't imagine you'd have any trouble with a six foot medium duty bush hog with a near 40hp tractor. The tiller seems a tad narrow, can it be offset? A six foot harrow also seems reasonable in covering tracks even though you might be able to pull a bigger one with 40hp. A 2 bottom 14 inch plow is also what was recommended for my similar size tractor.

The Kuhn tiller can be offset so it covers the right tires on my JD 870 (and I assume the two new tractors I am comparing!).

I want to stick with a 5' rotary cutter because my property is so hilly, rocky etc. I definitely would go with a 6' if I was just mowing a flat open area!

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #24  
Sorry. False assumption on my part that you were upgrading tractor size to carry bigger tools. Sounds like the new tractor is all you need.

Yes, I already have these attachments (most for many years) and am currently using them with my 870.

And I'm not even sure if I need that!!! (new tractor)

I love my Deere 870 I just think it's just a bit too underpowered for what I want to do. But that thing is built like a tank and often times when I am on it I ask myself why I am even thinking of upgrading! I just got to get rid of this new tractor "itch"!!!

I may even keep the 870 even if I do buy a new tractor. But then how will I feel when I choose to jump on the 870 instead of the new one to do a task??? Pretty stupid, probably. :eek:

Well, I'm about to head out and fix the 870 again (had to get a new front tie-rod). Once I get that done and I'm on it I well be happy again.

I told one of the dealers that he couldn't sell me a new tractor while my 870 was broken done and I was "desperate". If I was going to buy a new tractor it was when the 870 was running fine and I still really wanted to buy!

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #26  
If I was going to buy a new tractor it was when the 870 was running fine and I still really wanted to buy!

Smart man but you may not get a new tractor anytime soon with that attitude.:rolleyes:

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #27  
I just went through this same thing. The majority of my dealers here are within 30 minutes and carry JD, NH or Kubota.

I had an open station ehydro 3520 w/300cx loader JD for a weekend and put about 11 hours or so on it. Loved the tractor, no serious complaints, but I still thought overall it was a bit small for what I needed and I wasn't crazy about leaving the engine rpms up there while working and coming to a stop. eHydro was a must.

I then started looking at the Kubotas. Started off looking at the 3540 and like you said well this one is only a little heavier etc. When it came down to it, I now have a L4240 Kubota with the 854 loader in my shop. Probably a little bigger than I would have liked but I got the stronger loader and a little extra PTO hp to pull the 6' bush hog.

I felt the Kubota was more tractor for the $$ as compared to the JD. The new HST+ gave me everything the JD didn't. I even went back to the JD dealer, showed him what I was looking at and he said, "We have something similar to the Auto throttle" but couldn't give me any details on it.

The nail in the coffin was the L4240 had been on the lot since Dec07, prior to 2 price increases. It was a Cab model. JD didn't have a Cab tractor to compare to without going too big (HP and $$ wise). Therefore the Kubota was MUCH cheaper than a "comparable" Green.

I've since put about 12 hours on the L4240 and I'm super happy. My Brother in-law was helping with his JD 5105 when he had a blow out. I put him on the lil kubota and after 2 hours, he came out smiling and said, that's one **** of a tractor. Which blew me away, he has only had his tractor for a year. Now he doesn't have ehydro or A/C but all in all was impressed.

I shopped for 2 months before deciding on this one and I don't regret it one bit. Even if the price difference would have been less, the Kubota offered me more for my money, and I started out WANTING to buy green!!

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #28  
The other thing I liked was that the Kubota dealership had more stock for me to test drive. I didn't like guessing what this model JD would look like etc.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #29  
You have to look at how well the two tractors are made. The 3pt lift arms and hyd cylinders on the grand L are huge compared to the JD 20 series. The Tires are much larger as well. Again, more for the money. I think the 20 series JD compares better to the "B series" than it does the "L series". Just my thoughts..

Mark

08 3240hstc 724 loader

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #30  
To put a plus in the Deere camp, there are a few things that Deere does that I have found useful that Kubota doesn't offer (?). One is that jdparts.com lets you look at parts diagrams for your tractor with a feature allowing you to select and order parts from the dealer. In addition, the full manuals for the tractors and attachments are available free on their website which makes a very convenient reference.

When I started shopping I started out wanting a Kubota but ended up with the Deere because of superior ergonomics and better dealer proximity and support.