Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm

/ Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #1  

ELKx2

Tractor
Case 580CK
Hello all. Has anyone seen this happen before? Looks like there was a stress fracture starting and when I tried to back over an ~8" log it was more than it could take.

I'm contemplating attempting to weld it once I take it apart. But if someone has a line on a used one I'd appreciate the info. I'll call tomorrow morning to see what they run new but I'm thinking it'll be a bit.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20220618_143814.jpg
    20220618_143814.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220618_143203.jpg
    20220618_143203.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
   / Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #2  
I would weld it. I would try to measure the angle then V it out so I could build it back out with weld. Just need to make sure to get the angle correct.

/ Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a welding rod recommendation? I'm fairly decent welding but haven't done anything cast. Should I preheat too? And it fits back together well so could I V groove one side and weld it. Then groove the other side and weld it too. Of course the sides as well. But doing it like this seems like I could keep the original alignment pretty easily.

73s

/ Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #4  
When I welded cast, I used "nickel" rod.
To weld it back perfectly, first get it into position by moving the pieces around until they "seat", then tack one side.
THEN vee out the opposite side and weld it with one light pass.
Now go to the tacked side and vee THAT side out, previous tack and all, then weld it one pass.
Now go back to the first side and finish welding it.
Then return to the second side and finish welding that side.
Pre-warming is beneficial, as is slow cooling.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
Thank you for the response. I forgot about letting it cool slowly as well. I'm going to try to weld it and see how it turns out. I have found a used one for about $100 less than a new one shipped. Actually, probably a little better than that. A new one is $330.

Unfortunately, the ball joints nuts were both loose too, so the tapered bores are egged out some. The machine could really use some more tlc than it gets.

/ Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #6  

There is a new alloy for cast called Jupiter Mig that’s supposed be really nice. See YouTube video above.

Bear in mind that the person in the video is an accomplished welder.

If u don’t do MIG, they also have several varieties of stick rod in the Jupiter family. Just Google “Rockmount Jupiter”

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #7  
I would think that the pitman arm would be forged steel not cast but maybe I am wrong. :unsure:

Wholly cow! Spoke to the local welding supply and they recommended 4099 Nickel welding rod $110 lbs comes in a two pound package and there's a "special metal surcharge" of some kind. Total cost ends up being about $250.

A second place has the same rod and a 55 for about $50 a pound. That's better. Said there's 17 or so 1/8" rods to a pound.

I think you may be correct that the part is forged. Would make more sense. Can anyone tell from the pictures? Looks lighter than the material in the video. That welding wire looks great but isn't cost effective for this project.

If I had the old milling machine setup this part might be fabricated "fairly easily."

Thank you for the link to the video.

/ Kubota L3710 Pitman Arm #10  
I would be surprised if it is cast. I would be looking at a 6010, 6011 or a fresh 7018. I would want as much penetration as possible.