Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #31  
Now it痴 getting worst: I知 asking myself if I have the good tractor size.

What do you guys think about it ?

Candidly, I think your L3800 will have to really work at logging chores and will accumulate more than its share of wear and tear. If your finances can handle it, something larger would tolerate the work and you'd get more done.

I took standing trees and downed logs out of our woods for years with the L4610 and a winch... there wasn't much happening on the place that it would not readily handle. Always thought it was a good balance of weight and power vs. fairly compact size for such work. The current MX models are nearly the same unit, although they have a different engine, I think. If you were handling larger logs extensively - say over 20" - going another size up would make sense to me, but you'd need to evaluate what size is best for your property.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees
Granddad and Oldpath I appreciate those thoughts.

Lately I did some internet shopping and paid alot of attention to specs. This brought me to begin thinking about the positive sides of a smaller tractor. Mine is fairly narrow so it circulates easily in narrow trails between the beloved sugartrees. It also leaves fewer tracks in too often wet trail or around the buildings.

Retirement is approaching so I’ll have more time. I’ll certainly not go too fast with this decision.

One of the things I absolutely want to take into account is the possibility to add a log trailer to the equipment as mentionned. On that I have a few qustion:

- Is this tractor too small for that in term of weight ?

- I checked the hydraulic pump capacity, it seems low in comparaison with other alternative tractors. It probably has a relation with the limited 3 points lifting capacity. Will it have sufficient logs lifting capacities ?

Thanks again all

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #33  
I've been told that for flat ground and without trailer brakes you want your tractor to weigh at least half of the loaded trailer. With hills and no trailer brakes you want the tractor to weigh at least as much as the loaded trailer. With trailer brakes you can fudge this a bit, but make sure you have enough tractor, or you might be in for quite a ride.

I think Tractor Mike did a video on this at some point. If you're interested I could try to dig it up.

For cylinder operations like a log trailer pump flow=speed and pressure=power. So while the grapple will work slower, there shouldn't be a problem with power.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #34  
Agree with MadOne regarding the terrain. A light tractor pulling a heavy trailer on hilly, sloping terrain is not a happy combination. Flat terrain would be more forgiving, but even bumps and ruts require extra caution if the load is heavy for the tractor.

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #35  
If you are going to operate in snow that should be a major consideration and in my opinion your tractor would be to light unless you get a trailer that has hydraulic power to the wheels.

If you get the trailer and you find the tractor to small get a bigger tractor when you figure that out. If it is an option now you can delay it til later, Yes ??

I am not saying you can't make what you have work but if it were me I would want a bigger tractor in any case if you want to do serious logging with 18" and up diameter trees in any season. Just my opinion though.

gg

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #36  
"(This brought me to begin thinking about the positive sides of a smaller tractor. Mine is fairly narrow so it circulates easily in narrow trails between the beloved sugartrees.)" <<<<<<<<<<<That's one of the best things I like with my L3400, I can fit that in the smallest places which makes it great to get a round my beloved small trees, including Sugar Maples.

As far as logging trailers they have them for ATVs with it own self powered motors, I'm sure theres a size trailer that will work for your size tractor, incase you havent watched this video, this guy has this size logging trailer on his tractor>> Logging with a Farm Tractor in the Boreal Forest of Northeastern U.S.A. - Chapter 3 - YouTube

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees
A lot of information to chew here. I’m pretty sure I’ll get one of this logging trailer one day. Horizon is likely in the next 6 months. That’s an idea to buy an ok size trailer and change the tractor if it’s too light or buy a smaller trailer that fits the machine.

Honestly I don’t know what to do now. For sure a larger trailer doesn’t have to be fully loaded.

We’ll see, I’ll for sure keep you guys posted with my decision.

Any tree that you tap Oldpath ?

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #38  
34HP and a 1982 model makes the tractor the guy in the video is using a L345DT. Tractordata only lists one weight for that machine, despite the 4x4 and 4x2 variants. 3300lbs, or about 700lbs more than a L3800, bare tractor.

That seemed high, but I found the test report, and if you subtract all the ballast you learn that the number above checks out if the operator was 135lbs.

I could not find any 3PT lift data for the L345DT, but on weight alone it's far closer to the L3560 than the L3800. I'd suspect the 3PT lift capacity would be similar. If I was only allowed one machine I'd trade the L3301 for a L4060. It's that much more tractor in a similarly sized package. Maybe that's the direction you should be looking in?

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #39  
After 20 years of making syrup, it's been 5 years since I done it, probably wont make any syrup again till I retire in a few years.

Any trailer is better than none, can haul twice as much with half the power and stain on a tractor.
20150516_175614_zpsl718xx5m (1).JPG 20150516_134153_zpszdydvahv.JPG

/ Kubota L3800 3 pt lift capacity: can稚 lift trees #40  
After 20 years of making syrup, it's been 5 years since I done it, probably wont make any syrup again till I retire in a few years.

Any trailer is better than none, can haul twice as much with half the power and stain on a tractor.
View attachment 547211 View attachment 547212
Did you do it commercially? There are a lot of people doing it, last summer the wholesale market was flooded.