KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #31  
Finally, pulled the trigger. Farmi 351 set to arrive tomorrow morning !

Have you had a chance to give it a good workout yet? How are you liking it?

My woods have been too wet to get into at the moment. I don't like tearing up my trails.

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing
Yep worked it out !

Not a huge job but winched the 10-12 maple trees cut this winter out to our main road. Efficient and fun to say the least. Was in the wood while my wonderful spouse was pulling the rope and bringing the logs at her feet. Both were enjoying.

To be honest i then wish i'd have a log trailer with a grapple to finish the job, but i didn't. Thinking about it....

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #33  
To be honest i then wish i'd have a log trailer with a grapple to finish the job, but i didn't. Thinking about it....

When I'm doing firewood, I just cut it into stove lengths right where I've bunched the trees while winching them to the trial and either throw the rounds in a regular trailer, or bring my splitter out and throw the split pieces in the trailer.

For long logs, I posted a link in the "Tractors and wood" thread about the "DanG Deadheader Log Lifter", an inexpensive rig to load logs into a regular trailer over the tailgate. Check out this link for the post. That thread also had a brief mention of parbuckling, which is another inexpensive loading method.

Personally, if I do one of these, I'm more likely to do the Loglifter than parbuckling. My existing trailer won't take parbuckling, which involves loading over the side. I also think I'm more likely to be able to get the trailer ahead of or behind the logs on my trails, rather than beside them (not to mention getting beside them with room for the parbuckling ramps.)

You could probably use your logging winch as the power source for the DanG Deadheader Log Lifter. I'm not sure if I'd want to use it as the winch for parbuckling: that takes a few pulleys to accomplish, and you'd want big diameter pulleys to avoid kinking or curling your logging winch cable - that gets a bit unwieldly.

Interesting John Mc, the problem is i don't even have a valuable trailer. In fact i have one small 4X8, can and have used it for firewood. My issue is about 8 and more feet long logs that i want for sawmill.

So i either find one and find a way to work it out or i find one with a grapple.

Thanks

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #35  
Interesting John Mc, the problem is i don't even have a valuable trailer. In fact i have one small 4X8, can and have used it for firewood. My issue is about 8 and more feet long logs that i want for sawmill.

So i either find one and find a way to work it out or i find one with a grapple.

Thanks

Do you have to drive very far with your logs? Check your local Craigslist or kijji for "running gears" if you don't have far to travel. You can usually find some cheap ones listed that'll haul a lot of weight. Don't want to drive them on the highway, though.

Motownbrowne,

I suppose you are refering to hay trailers or something like that ? I can tell you there is very few on sale around here. But yes it could be a good way to go.

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #37  
Motownbrowne,

I suppose you are refering to hay trailers or something like that ? I can tell you there is very few on sale around here. But yes it could be a good way to go.

Yep, a running gear is a set of two axles found under a hay wagon, chopper box, gravity wagon, etc. Around here searching for running gear rather than hay wagon will bring up different results. Give it a try anyway. In my neck of the woods $500 will get you something pretty decent, but we are lucky to have the glut of old farm equipment that we do.