Kubota L3800

/ Kubota L3800 #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi SOL Members,

Can you please share your thoughts ?

I知 mostly satisfied with my tractor but went thru some issues that make me thinking about upgrading, but being like a beginner, expert or more knowledgable views would be appreciated.

First I have no complaint with the pto power. It strong enough for my needs. Works great with my Farmi 351 and Bushog.

I like the limited size and weight too. Useful in the forest trails and on soft soils.

Issues:

Bent the weak turnbuckles that limit the 3 points side movements doing bushog work.

Bent the 3 point right lift arm working with the Farmi 351. I know this time I push my luck a little bit but ...

Just bought a used small Anderson log trailer with grapple. I trust seller when he says how big logs this could handle. It seems though it is more limited with my tractor. I notice the hydraulic seems limited on the L3800. Is it at stake ?

Well that痴 it, many pros but some annoying cons.

What do you think of the 3 points and hydraulic strenghtes ?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and possibly answer.

/ Kubota L3800 #2  
Don't know how heavy these implements are, but if you're bending the lift arms and turn buckles, it sounds like your tractor is undersized for the implements being used.
Post the implement specs for an opinion.

/ Kubota L3800
Bushhog is a SQ 160 , 600 pounds and the Farmi 351 is less than 400 pounds.

Both are within the Bota specs.

/ Kubota L3800 #4  
If you bent the stabilizing turnbuckles you may not have had them adjusted correctly, as in too loose. This could be why the side on your three point bent as well. You can replace the turnbuckles with telescoping stabilizers. They are much stiffer and easier to adjust.

/ Kubota L3800 #5  
Bent the weak turnbuckles that limit the 3 points side movements doing bushog work.

Bent the 3 point right lift arm working with the Farmi 351. I know this time I push my luck a little bit but ...

I like the limited size and weight too. Useful in the forest trails and on soft soils.

Turnbuckle stabilizers can be replaced with Kubota OEM rigid, telescoping, pin-adjustable stabilizers.

VIDEO: Kubota Standard L Series L843 Telescopic Stabilizer kit (overview and install) - YouTube

Generally speaking, heavier tractors have larger wheels and tires, so ground loading increases steadily, not quickly, as tractor weight increases.

It takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you notice a significant improvement in tractor capability.

I suggest you shop the Kubota MX series, around 3,800 pounds bare tractor weight, with a much heavier dual Category 1/2 Three Point Hitch. Plenty of MXs for sale used, as well as new.

Kubota Web Site: https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/economy-utility/mx

VIDEO: Kubota MX series walk around and features by Messicks. | MX48 MX52 MX58 - YouTube

Just bought a used small Anderson log trailer with grapple. I trust seller when he says how big logs this could handle. It seems though it is more limited with my tractor.

Load capacity of an Anderson M90 logging trailer is 9,900 pounds. Empty trailer and log loader alone weigh 1,400 pounds.

Pulling a laden log trailer with a 2,600 pound bare weight tractor over soft ground is an invitation to disaster.

Kubota L3800 - dimensions
2011 - 2014 Standard L Series
Compact Utility tractor
Previous model: Kubota L3400
Series next: Kubota L4600
Series back: Kubota L3200

Kubota L3800 Tires:
Standard tires (ag): Front: 5.00-15. Rear: 11.2-24 (2WD)
Front: 7.2-16. Rear: 11.2-24 (4WD)
Lawn/turf front: 23x8.50-12 (2WD)
25x8.50-14 (4WD)
Lawn/turf rear: 13.6-16
Industrial front: 27x8.50-15 (4WD)
Industrial rear: 15-19.5

Dimensions:
Weight: 2,480 lbs (2WD gear)
2,657 lbs (4WD gear)
2,668 lbs (4WD hydro)

Wheelbase: 63.3 inches [160 cm]
Length: 110.6 inches [280 cm] (2WD)
106.3 inches [270 cm] (4WD)
Width: 55.1 inches [139 cm]
Height (ROPS): 91.7 inches [232 cm]
Ground clearance: 13.6 inches [34 cm] (2WD)
13.4 inches [34 cm] (4WD)
Front tread: 41.3 inches [104 cm] (2WD)43.1 inches [109 cm] (4WD)
Rear tread: 43.8 to 50.8 inches
[111 to 129 cm]

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 7.1 gal [26.9 L] (gear)
6.2 gal [23.5 L] (hydro)
Pump flow: 6.3 gpm [23.8 lpm]
Total flow: 10.1 gpm [38.2 lpm]
Steering flow: 3.8 gpm [14.4 lpm]

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3800
Thanks for your answer Jeff,

I know how serious you are in your posts and that you are a Grand L owner, may I ask why you are directing me to the MX serie ?

Thanks

/ Kubota L3800 #7  
The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

It takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you notice a significant improvement in tractor capability.

I suggest you shop the Kubota MX series, around 3,800 pounds bare tractor weight, with a much heavier dual Category 1/2 Three Point Hitch. (Actually at Category 2 Three Point Hitch, for which Kubota supplies pin sleeve adaptors for Category 1 implements in the toolbox.)
Plenty of MXs for sale used, as well as new. MX has bigger wheels and tires and wider wheel stance than similar weight L3560.

To safely pull a laden log trailer weighing nearly 10,000 pounds I recommend a tractor with at least 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight and a Category 2 Three Point Hitch, however a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor may be too wide for your grooming applications.

I am brand neutral. Only recommend Kubota because you have a Kubota.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3800 #8  
The stabilizers (whether turnbuckle or telescopic) should be checking the sway by one of them (on the side opposite of the sway direction) going into tension. They cannot bend while in tension. If you bent one of them, it means it was in compression, and that implies you did not have them adjusted properly.

When you put on an implement, adjust the stabilizers so that sway is stopped by one stabilizer going into tension *before* the opposite side goes into compression. Test in both directions to make sure both sides are able to go into tension before either goes into compression.

/ Kubota L3800 #9  
I like our tractor size. To me, it's pretty nibble - I have bumped up my hydraulic pressure a couple hundred PSI so the grapple can lift more weight.

You mention "soft soils" and working in the woods... neither sound good for larger tractors. I have the telescopic stabilizers and keep breaking bolts on it. I would rather that happen then crack my rear housing.

Depending on how your tractor handles the Anderson log trailer with grapple... I'm guessing you might be upgrading to a bigger tractor. What does the log trailer company recommends for tractor size to be pulled by???

/ Kubota L3800 #10  
The stabilizers (whether turnbuckle or telescopic) should be checking the sway by one of them (on the side opposite of the sway direction) going into tension. They cannot bend while in tension. If you bent one of them, it means it was in compression, and that implies you did not have them adjusted properly.

When you put on an implement, adjust the stabilizers so that sway is stopped by one stabilizer going into tension *before* the opposite side goes into compression. Test in both directions to make sure both sides are able to go into tension before either goes into compression.

Well explained.

Often misunderstood.