Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #91  
xxxsandman said:
I finally made my mind up today and bought a USED Kubota L48. I just got it home a few hours ago, so I haven't had hardly any seat time, but seams to be a nice machine.

I need to find a operators manual to it, any ideas?

Here is a generic operators guide...

https://www.equiptrain.com/backhoes.htm

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #92  
how many hours and how much? L48 all the way.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #93  
plowrup said:
I think you are missing my point-

Maybe you could clarify your point then so that I can understand. A one man show doesn't need two machines at the same time. A homeowner/large estate owner would be near foolish to buy a mini-x. It would take quite a bit extra time to cut in a foundation or full basement with your combo.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #94  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Have you actually seen someone do this? I did not think it was possible. Angled widths don't work out, hydraulic flow is a tad low, etc.
Probably not in the sense your thinking of. A full size machine needs fullsize attachments. I've got a 4n1 bucket, pallet forks and a 10' snow blade on the front end, qa buckets and a post hole digger on the back. Hydraulic flow is a huge variable dependent on machine and attachment. Except for the guys running mulching heads, who really needs high flow?? While harley rakes are neat tools, I can get by without one.
FWIW, I start once we get a clearing/grading permit and my end is done when final grades are.

Chalkey did an impressive outfit on his EF-5 once he eliminated the mind block of front vs. back.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
I ended up buying a used L48. My brother has a large full size ford backhoe that I have a lot of time on.

Now that I've had seat time on both, I must say I REALLY like the L48. I've already found several jobs around my place that I can do with it, that the full size can't do! It's not because the L48 is stronger, it's just smaller and more agile, it can get into positions that a full size can't. Wiggle through tight trees to dig out an area in a pond, etc. The L48 barely clears my barn stalls and can clean my barn out. The L48 leaves less foot print in my yard then the full size because it doesn't weigh as much, but it is heavy!

Yesterday, I decided to take the backhoe off it, so I could clean the barn "hoe doesn't clear doors". WOW was it easy. I never guessed it would be so easy to take off. You pull 2 pins and move a couple levers and the hydraulics does the rest. Took me 3 mins or so. Next time it'll be faster, since I know what to expect. I hope putting it back on is as easy!

I find the loader and hoe plenty strong for every task I've done so far. They don't have the strength or capacity of a full size backhoe, but they are way stronger then simliar size compact/utility tractors!

I've put almost 20 hours on my L48 and really the only grip I have is the gear range, which everyone grips about. As MANY have noted their is too much gap between the Medium range and High range. The high range is not a working gear, just transport. This causes you to have to shift between Medium and High when doing front end loader work that requires much travel to dump. I never use the Low range, it just doesn't seem required, as it never has stalled in Medium.

So all this debate on which backhoe you should get, a full size or L48 or 110, is easily answered in my mind. None of them is the best backhoe for every job. There's jobs a full size's strength, weight, and speed is best, altough most jobs a full size can do, a L48 or 110 could do, but slower and less effecient. There's also jobs a L48 or 110 can do a full size can't do at all, because it can't squeeze into position, etc. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job at hand. So if you can't have more then one piece of machinery, choose the one that will do the most jobs YOU have to do the best.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #96  
tlbuser said:
Maybe you could clarify your point then so that I can understand. A one man show doesn't need two machines at the same time. A homeowner/large estate owner would be near foolish to buy a mini-x. It would take quite a bit extra time to cut in a foundation or full basement with your combo.

tlbuser,

You are correct (from your point of view)-a one man show cannot run two machines-but could you do more jobs (in a shorter time) with two machines (and Operators) instead of one? I am referring to a Landscaping Contractor trying to make a living doing this (more than half my business is Contractors).

In this day of Labor shortage, employees jumping from Company to Company, and a myriad of other factors, just the hauling of these Machines can be a challenge-we regularly haul bigger Machines for Contractors that don't want the expense/record keeping/headaches of owning the Equipment required to move some of this Equipment (especially bigger Excavators).

If you are running a business that can be more mobile, can handle smaller tasks and be "lighter on it's feet", you can cut your expenses and save money. I am not trying to debate the issue with you-just look at the Sales numbers and it is quite clear-more and more, small Machines are selling (with double digit Sales increases every Year), and while the 580 size Machines are still selling, they are in decline.

Now, for the average Homeowner, how often does he dig a 14' hole? Really, not that often. But what if he has a small Hayfield (and irrigates via flood irrigation), the 580 is limited, while the smalller unit can keep his ditches clean, run a 6' sicklebar Cutter, run a small Baler, handle a wheel rake, cut his Weeds, and so many other Tasks.

No doubt, there is a place for a 580-but it is not a Swiss Army knife like one of these smaller units-

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #97  
xxxsandman said:
So all this debate on which backhoe you should get, a full size or L48 or 110, is easily answered in my mind. None of them is the best backhoe for every job. There's jobs a full size's strength, weight, and speed is best, altough most jobs a full size can do, a L48 or 110 could do, but slower and less effecient. There's also jobs a L48 or 110 can do a full size can't do at all, because it can't squeeze into position, etc. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job at hand. So if you can't have more then one piece of machinery, choose the one that will do the most jobs YOU have to do the best.

That's all that counts, you got the right size machine for your needs. If you need a small machine for tight spaces and l-48 is great.

After that, we'll have to disagree. A full size can do many, many more jobs than a small TLB. After having owned & operated both for years, the full size TLB has more verstaility than a small TLB. To say a small TLB can do most jobs a large TLB can do but slower is incorrect. A small TLB could never lift out an object that is heavier than its' lifting capacity. So you could never extract a stump or lift a boulder no matter what. The small machine just won't do it. Then what do you do? Dig up half your customer's back yard? The other example is dig depth. If you have to dig a trench, pit, foundation beyond the dig depth of a small machine DANG, stuck again, it won't do it. Set a septic tank, nope, can't do that either.. How about loading a high sided dump truck? Can't do that one, either. Then there's the cab issue. I can work in blistering heat, dust clouds, storms, or freezing weather and remain safe & protected from the enviroment outside-a big plus that a small TLB will never have.

As far as fitting under a low door height, the small TLB wins there. If you drive a backhoe inside buildings, then yes for the ones who do that, it is an advantage. However, with my extendahoe, I can be farther from the object I'm digging by 6 feet than a small TLB, so I don't have to get as close in the first place.

Yes, there are a few instances, mostly due to clearance, where a small TLB can get to a spot that a large TLB can't, but there's more practical instances where a large TLB will do what the little guys can never do. :)

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #98  
xxxsandman said:
I ended up buying a used L48. My brother has a large full size ford backhoe that I have a lot of time on.

Now that I've had seat time on both, I must say I REALLY like the L48. I've already found several jobs around my place that I can do with it, that the full size can't do! It's not because the L48 is stronger, it's just smaller and more agile, it can get into positions that a full size can't. Wiggle through tight trees to dig out an area in a pond, etc. The L48 barely clears my barn stalls and can clean my barn out. The L48 leaves less foot print in my yard then the full size because it doesn't weigh as much, but it is heavy!

Yesterday, I decided to take the backhoe off it, so I could clean the barn "hoe doesn't clear doors". WOW was it easy. I never guessed it would be so easy to take off. You pull 2 pins and move a couple levers and the hydraulics does the rest. Took me 3 mins or so. Next time it'll be faster, since I know what to expect. I hope putting it back on is as easy!

I find the loader and hoe plenty strong for every task I've done so far. They don't have the strength or capacity of a full size backhoe, but they are way stronger then simliar size compact/utility tractors!

I've put almost 20 hours on my L48 and really the only grip I have is the gear range, which everyone grips about. As MANY have noted their is too much gap between the Medium range and High range. The high range is not a working gear, just transport. This causes you to have to shift between Medium and High when doing front end loader work that requires much travel to dump. I never use the Low range, it just doesn't seem required, as it never has stalled in Medium.

SANDMAN: Well stated, and I totally agree! There must be a big market for this class of backhoe, as they become more popular! If I made my living with TLB's; I would have a big one too.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
Clearly Builder, you are happy with your full size Case. I've read you brag about it in many threads, many times. It sounds like a nice machine and MORE important it sounds like the RIGHT machine for YOU.

But not everyone is YOU and has YOUR needs. My point is just that, just because a full size Case backhoe is best for Builder doesn't mean it's best for you. Just because I feel a L48 is best for me, doesn't mean it's best for you.

They all have their advantages. That nice Air conditioned cab on Builders machine would be really nice, but I bet the trees I was working in this last weekend would have made it an open cab without glass REAL quick. It was tight, even on my smaller L48 open cab.

Builder, nothing personal, your machine looks awesome, I wish I had it and my L48, but can't afford both, barely can afford just one.