Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #1  

Aranda0408

Tractor
Mahindra 5145 vs Kubota L4802
First post on the forum so apologies if I’m doing something wrong but I’ve scoured the forums and YouTube and still not sure which way I should go, and this forum seems like a really helpful community.

I’m a first time tractor buyer but I grew up running tractors (Masse Ferguson and Mahindra) on my family land since I was old enough to mash down the clutch.

I just purchased 22ac of flat land east of Houston that’s ~7ac field that I want to keep trimmed, and ~15ac wooded with thick underbrush that I want to thin out and maintain. I also need to take down a dozen ~18” oaks to open up the access as well as maintain ~1/2mi lane. I will also be building a barn and offgrid cabin and will need to maneuver building materials and IBC totes.

My dad’s tractors have always been around the 40hp range with similar terrain so I figured I’d stay in that general space since it worked well for him. I really like the Mahindra 5145 shuttle and on paper it seems to outspec the Kubota L4802 HST (larger frame, more open deck and larger fenders, significantly more lift capacity, beefier 3pt, cat1&2 couplers, standard rear remote, more protection around filters and hoses, mechanical PTO, bucket level indicator, better location for fuel and battery, more hood clearance for engine bay access, etc), not to mention it’s $10k cheaper for the 2023 model.

The common theme I hear on the interwebs is that Mahindra has reliability/service/parts issues but if I go with the 5145 I basically have a $10k repair budget built in before I even get to the same cost of the L4802. Normally I have no problem paying extra for more features/reliability but I get a stomach ache thinking I’m paying 1/3 more money for less tractor just because some folks on the internet think Mahindra is trash.

Lastly, I understand the L4802 is a brand new model line, which also poses some concerns since the bugs haven’t been worked out.

Do y’all have any insight that can help ease my mind that forking out $10k for the L4802 is the right thing to do?

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #2  
It's hard to not be brand loyal when I have had such good service from (3) Kubota tractors, and (3) commercial diesel mowers. That said, I am not necessarily blind to other tractor brands.
Most here on TBN will agree that the local dealer can make or break any brand choice. I would look real hard at the dealer (any dealer, any brand) and get an idea on how they support their customers in sales, parts, and service.
Good luck with your tractor shopping and decision!

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #3  
Plus ONE on what RJ posted. The dealer makes ALL the difference and always buy local if possible. You will need dealer intervention at some point for parts at least and because most dealers are independent businessmen (except JD of course), they can move you to the back of the line in you require dealer repairs.

I'm not fond of Mahindra, never have been actually, but then I have an excellent Kubota dealer (and I work there part time too). They have always been top notch even before I worked there. I've purchased at least 10 Kubota's from them and I've never had an issue with any, including the 2 I own now.

Again, bottom line is check out the dealer first with any brand and then decide.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?
It's hard to not be brand loyal when I have had such good service from (3) Kubota tractors, and (3) commercial diesel mowers. That said, I am not necessarily blind to other tractor brands.
Most here on TBN will agree that the local dealer can make or break any brand choice. I would look real hard at the dealer (any dealer, any brand) and get an idea on how they support their customers in sales, parts, and service.
Good luck with your tractor shopping and decision!
I’m having trouble making heads or tails of the dealers, they’re all salesmen and claim their service department and tractors are the best. There are 2 Mahindra dealers in close proximity and 3 Kubota dealers, all with a similar blend or positive/negative reviews.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #5  
If you are looking at the L4802, I also encourage you to look at the MX line. A lot more capability on the loader and a heavier, beefier machine for just a small amount more that the L.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #6  
I’m having trouble making heads or tails of the dealers, they’re all salesmen and claim their service department and tractors are the best. There are 2 Mahindra dealers in close proximity and 3 Kubota dealers, all with a similar blend or positive/negative reviews.

I get that... It's hard to really vet a salesman, and their opinion of the service and parts dept is of little value. I talked with the salesman as a potential customer, but not "buying in the immediate future". See how much time they will invest in answering your questions.
Same with service... Make an appointment to talk to the service manager and ask about their customer base, number of mechanics, field repair, pick up and delivery, etc...

I think the gut feeling you get after talking with the dealer will be more valuable than any reviews you may read.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?
If you are looking at the L4802, I also encourage you to look at the MX line. A lot more capability on the loader and a heavier, beefier machine for just a small amount more that the L.
I really like the MX for the same reasons you mentioned but I just can’t justify the price and I really don’t need that much power. What moved me away from the MX is that I could buy the L4802 with cutter and grapple/3rd function for the same price as the base MX5400. My property will be more of a weekend getaway not a working farm.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #8  
I really like the MX for the same reasons you mentioned but I just can’t justify the price and I really don’t need that much power. What moved me away from the MX is that I could buy the L4802 with cutter and grapple/3rd function for the same price as the base MX5400. My property will be more of a weekend getaway not a working farm.
Everyone needs to made their own decisions based n needs. What I was looking for was stability and lift capacity. Weight and a wider stance make a huge difference in stability, especially if you’re going to be doing grapple and woods work.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #9  
The bull pinion seals on my Mahindra 3525 started leaking into the brakes in 2023. The Mahindra service department where I bought it was always busy, never answered the phone, and didn't return calls even after I personally spoke with the owner explaining what I needed. The alternative Mahindra dealer in my area answered the phone and discussed the repair, but the on line reviews of their service seemed mixed. The repair itself involved a lot of labor required removing both loaded rear tires and accessing the transmission case from inside, too much for me and my work space. I ended up trading it at a loss for a 4wd Kubota MX5200 which is much more stable, and there are four or five kubota dealerships that are closer to me. Surely one of them repair the Kubota if needed.

Also own a Kubota L2501, but I would describe the MX as double the tractor IMO.

I'd recommend that you carefully screen your dealership service departments. If the service department isn't good, don't buy from them.

/ Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional? #10  
I would also say ignore the brands and go with the dealer. Is there any reason you're fixated on ONLY Kubota or Mahindra? Aren't there ANY other tractor dealers in your area? LS? New Holland? TYM?

I shutdown Kubota as a possible purchase in my area because the local dealer was garbage. Not saying anything negative about the brand, mind you. But the dealership was utter trash. Same for the "green one", in MY area. That dealer was also complete trash. The green one has since made some big changes in their operations, and I suspect have possibly learned their lesson, but I haven't been back due to my original treatment there.