KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #1  

HOFFandGOLDMAN

Tractor
535 Quadtrac
I recently bought a 2012 m100x with 2500 hours on it. Since i have have bought it 2 months ago i have put 71 hours on it and have added nearly 5 liters of oil. It smokes off startup, and smokes a wee bit until its at operating temp (blue smoke). When i run the loader or grapple it smokes a bit, can't tell if its blue or black. If this was a combine i wouldn't be worried about 5 liters of oil at all in them short amount of hours, but being a small engine it really worries me.

To my knowledge on the the tractor has 4 new injectors and a new fuel pump. I also noticed it has a bit of blow by, when i pull that dipstick a fair bit of air comes out of that.

Is all this "normal" for these little 4 cyl diesels or no? Or am i looking at taking it back to the dealer to do compression tests?

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #2  
did you buy from that dealer? did previous owner have service record? 2500h is not a lot for a well maintained M. but a lot can happen in those hrs if neglected/abused.
know that doesn't help, but important to know as starters. you could hunt down where the injector work was done as starters. & why it was done in the 1st place given the hrs.
was that the injector pump that was replaced?
hope the issue is simple, yes, a compression test may be wise
btw welcome to the forum

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #3  
In a nutshell No. Is the air cleaner plugged or not connected? 2500 hours is nothing, I have an M9000 with almost 5K hours and the overhead is a bit noisy (going in this winter to have it run) but it don't use any oil at all. No smoke ever except when I'm pulling it hard. Those engines should go at least 15K hours with normal maintenance and overhead adjustment with no issues at all.

Mine (I have 2) have no blowby whatsoever. I'm thinking you have a stuck ring or the bores have been compromised, whaty I asked about the air filter.

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil
Ya it was bought from a the dealer in Swift Current, SK. Not a great dealership imo. The is no service record on it other than when the orginal owner bought parts, it shows a couple fuel filters, oil filters, and so on. No service to it was done at dealer until it was traded in. They said it had fuel pump problems, so the dealer put a new pump on it, but that didn't solve it, so they sent a fuel test away and it came back that it was poor fuel. So they did a second new pump and 4 new injectors and purged the whole fuel system with good fuel. The tractor runs great, starts good, all fine that way. Just that burning oil really worries me.

The reason why i'm disappointed in the dealer is shortly i bought the tractor after a solid few days of haying, i took blew out the rad and the outer engine air filter. That air filter was fine, brand new, but the dust cap at the bottom of the filter was absolutely plugged solid. Like it had never been cleaned. My mistake when investigating the tractor at the dealership before i bought it. But makes me think the orginal owner never really cleaned that air filter regular enough. And it dosen't take long for a chore tractor to get plugged with straw and dust.

I recently bought a 2012 m100x with 2500 hours on it. Since i have have bought it 2 months ago i have put 71 hours on it and have added nearly 5 liters of oil. It smokes off startup, and smokes a wee bit until its at operating temp (blue smoke). When i run the loader or grapple it smokes a bit, can't tell if its blue or black. If this was a combine i wouldn't be worried about 5 liters of oil at all in them short amount of hours, but being a small engine it really worries me.

To my knowledge on the the tractor has 4 new injectors and a new fuel pump. I also noticed it has a bit of blow by, when i pull that dipstick a fair bit of air comes out of that.

Is all this "normal" for these little 4 cyl diesels or no? Or am i looking at taking it back to the dealer to do compression tests?

Ya i was wondering the same thing. The dealer told me no warranty when i called them today. Even though i bought it two months ago. Lol. GRRRRREEAAAAT. 👍

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #6  
with that amt of oil consumption and with the air intake clean/filtered, a compression test would be in order.
@ this point, you have no idea what kind of previous maintenance was done re: oil changes & air filtration.
hopefully a simple cure

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #7  
I would expect the only reason for the new air filter was because the old one was totally plugged up.
I would expect that you have two filters on that an inner and an outer.
Unfortunately with blue smoke and lots of blowby I'd say at a minimum it needs new rings.
If it was mine that would be a winter project pull the head drop the pan and just a minor in frame overhaul,
rings and bearings.

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #8  
Used tractors don't usually have any warranty unless specifically specified by the dealer when purchased. A used unit is almost always bought as is.

Just went through that with the 2004 M9 I bought used from a JD dealer but before I bought it, I really went over it on their lot, because I already owned on I knew what I was looking at and for. I spent almost 2 hours (in the rain) going over the machine so there was no surprises. Interesting, the JD dealer didn't know what he had, a pre emissions M9000 is like a gold bar, especially when it comes with a loader with SSQA 3 sets of remotes and good tires so I was really surprised when the dealer told me 18. After I went over it and knew what I was getting into, I bought it on the spot.

When I got it home, I put about 2K in it. Needed some seals and bushings and new tie rod ends, A new tube in the RR, a new seat and some cosmetic stuff but overalll I'm happy to have a mechanically injected turbo charged inter cooled tractor and like I said, owning one just like it (bought that one new), I knew exactly what to look for.

Personally, I believe you have internal issues that only a compression check will uncover. I'd take it to a reputable Kubota dealer or do it yourself, a compression test isn't that complex, you use the glow plugs to access the cylinders and the WSM will give you the correct values. Blowby is telling. Kubota uses a full cheek crank so there should be little blowby because the volume in the crankcase remains basically unchanged. The blowby is coming from the cylinders.

You won't know much of anything without a compression test.

/ KUBOTA M100X - Burning Oil #9  
I would expect the only reason for the new air filter was because the old one was totally plugged up.
I would expect that you have two filters on that an inner and an outer.
Unfortunately with blue smoke and lots of blowby I'd say at a minimum it needs new rings.
If it was mine that would be a winter project pull the head drop the pan and just a minor in frame overhaul,
rings and bearings.

The air filter in the M9 I bought was the color of a chalk board and the filter minder was pegged in the red. It ran but it was pretty sick. Before I even started it (other than getting it off the GN, I changed everything. Both air filters (inner and outer), new spin on fuel filter, changed the one in the sediment bowl and cleaned it too, 2 new hydraulic filters and a fluid change too. heck it's only 54 quarts. Changed the sump oil and filter and Changed the front axle fluid (went to 80-90 GL5) put biocide and powerservice in the fuel tanks and topped them off with fresh diesel. All Kubota filters too, I use nothing else.

Been running hay with it all summer (it's my rake tractor) and other than a noisy overhead have had no problems but then I didn't expect any. Homework is everything.

So curious, what do ya'll rev these 4 cyl 100 hp to when working? Like loader work or just chore work? I struggle to keep it at 2 grand. Doesn't seem right, but the salesmen told me to keep them at 2000 all the time.