Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #11  
Something sounds fishy about your cousin's M9540 needing water to lift a 5x6 bale. I have handled hundreds of 5x5-1/2 and 5x6 bales this summer with a little M5040 open station, empty rear tires and only a light implement on the rear at times. Have loaded and unloaded several semi loads double stacked. Haven't had the first issue with handling or lift capacity.

Maybe your cousin should have his machine checked out?
There's nothing wrong with his tractor, either one of them. (he has TWO identical M9540's and he had to add balast (water) to the rear tires on both of them)

same here as we have used the MX5100 HST to move an load 5 by 6 bales on the hay hauler.only keeping a bale on the rear of the tractor.
Note to both posters: I am able to handle the same roll WITHOUT balast. No "light implement" or "bale on the rear" of my NH TN70A. The Kubota is very unstable without balast. These are actually a 5 1/2' x 6' roll, weighing about 1600 pounds.

I was not trying to pick a fight, nor was I being critical of the Kubota. In fact, I said that both are good products. I was stating that the Kubota is LIGHTER than the comparable NH - and it is. Read the specs and do the math. That's all.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #12  
Yes, that could be true. Kubotas are inherently lighter than comparable Deere and taking you for your word, as you say NH models.
One could perceive this as a disadvantage, or maybe an advantage. Adding balast to make tractor heavier is a fairly simple matter.
However, it's much more difficult to make the comparable Deere or NH lighter, for those who need lower ground pressure on soft ground, or are up against weight limits for road transportation, etc.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #13  
We have a M7040 and TN75. While my comparisons are difficult because the M7040 is 4wd and HST and the TN75 is has neither. Our M7040 has issue hauling heavy loads and tends to roll over. With luck both times the M7040 has rolled other bales caught us before going all the way over. Our TN75 has filled rear wheels and no issues with lifting and hauling same weights. Don't get me wrong I love the M7040 and also love my TN75. Both are quality machines and both have good dealers servicing them. I would pick the one with best dealers in your area. At one time I was bias on green models but in my area the green dealers are the problem not the machine. I guess what I'm saying is dealer, dealer, dealer... pick the one with the best dealer. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030
Bob_Ha - what types of weights are you lifting when you have had problems with stability on the M7040? Are your tires filled on the M7040?

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #15  
Bob_Ha - what types of weights are you lifting when you have had problems with stability on the M7040? Are your tires filled on the M7040?

No, the tires are not filled and lifting 1,600+ pound hay bales. I suspect if the tires were filled our issue with this would go away but instead we just use the TN75 for heavy lifting. The M7040 will lift the 1,600+ pounds with ease but you get that funny feeling of not being in control all the time.

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #17  
Any one that does not fill their tires does not use the full capabilities of their tractor. Actually that is not true, they do use it to the tractors capacity, it's just that the capabilities are so much greater when the tires are filled. Literally day and night difference.

Well friends. Today was the day. I went and drove a 4020 as that's the closest one they had in stock. I quite liked the tractor. Things I liked over the Kubota was that it seemed more compact. The lower cab height was nice. It had more ranges including a hwy speed range. Price difference was nearly a wash. NH comes in lower by $2500 but comes with a Stoll loader which are quite popular around here. Going with a NH loader drops it to a $1k price difference. NH came with wheel weights.

I drove the Kubota right after again and decided it had a few things going for it. I really prefer the flat deck. Something ergonomically seems more comfortable in the cab. Not sure I need the extra ranges and I was able to play enough with the range lever to get over it's idiosynchracies.

Ultimately the dealer weighed quite heavily. Nothing wrong with the NH dealer at all but I've been super impressed by the Kubota dealer I am dealing with. I'm sure I would have been happy with the NH as well.

I need to decide whether to add wheel weights at $1750 for about 1000 lb (500 each wheel). The tractor already comes with cast iron wheels which the dealer estimates are 350 lb each. The alternative is beet juice which is pricing out here at $1200 eek! Reason - I would source it from a local source and have to purchase storage containers from them and pay for transport and then for a tire guy to load them up. Feel t is better that way as I then have the ability to let the tire guy empty it someplace for a future leak. I would also have to keep some on hand to replace any leaked amount. Seems like a hassle. I think fluid would add much more weight though.

What say you wise TBNers?

/ Kubota M7040 vs NH 4030 #19  
Well friends. Today was the day. I went and drove a 4020 as that's the closest one they had in stock. I quite liked the tractor. Things I liked over the Kubota was that it seemed more compact. The lower cab height was nice. It had more ranges including a hwy speed range. Price difference was nearly a wash. NH comes in lower by $2500 but comes with a Stoll loader which are quite popular around here. Going with a NH loader drops it to a $1k price difference. NH came with wheel weights.

I drove the Kubota right after again and decided it had a few things going for it. I really prefer the flat deck. Something ergonomically seems more comfortable in the cab. Not sure I need the extra ranges and I was able to play enough with the range lever to get over it's idiosynchracies.

Ultimately the dealer weighed quite heavily. Nothing wrong with the NH dealer at all but I've been super impressed by the Kubota dealer I am dealing with. I'm sure I would have been happy with the NH as well.

I need to decide whether to add wheel weights at $1750 for about 1000 lb (500 each wheel). The tractor already comes with cast iron wheels which the dealer estimates are 350 lb each. The alternative is beet juice which is pricing out here at $1200 eek! Reason - I would source it from a local source and have to purchase storage containers from them and pay for transport and then for a tire guy to load them up. Feel t is better that way as I then have the ability to let the tire guy empty it someplace for a future leak. I would also have to keep some on hand to replace any leaked amount. Seems like a hassle. I think fluid would add much more weight though.

What say you wise TBNers?

I run ringaurd in mine and have already had a leak. When it leaks, if it's a small to medium leak, it oozed out pretty slow. I actually cut all day with the tire leaking and only lost maybe 10 gallons. I paid about 1/2 what you're saying you'd have to pay and I have the max size Ag tires on mine.
If I had to do it again, I'd do wheel weights, since you don't have the hassle & mess of leaking tires when you do get a flat.

Did you look into the M-7040 creeper range option for extra gears? can be installed at dealer.

I run ringaurd in mine and have already had a leak. When it leaks, if it's a small to medium leak, it oozed out pretty slow. I actually cut all day with the tire leaking and only lost maybe 10 gallons. I paid about 1/2 what you're saying you'd have to pay and I have the max size Ag tires on mine.
If I had to do it again, I'd do wheel weights, since you don't have the hassle & mess of leaking tires when you do get a flat.

Did you look into the M-7040 creeper range option for extra gears? can be installed at dealer.

Thanks for the thoughts Builder. I did think about the Creeper range but in honesty I don't think I really need it. Low seems plenty slow for everything I plan to do with it. Do you have the creeper range? Do you find it useful?