Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All, I have a question about the max cutting height of Kubota Mid Mount Mowers / Belly Mowers (BX and B series tractors).

I know that on Tractor Data most of the Mid Mount Mowers / Belly Mowers have listed a cutting range of about 1" to 4".

My question is if you lift up the mower to the transport position will it still cut grass and what is that height?

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #2  
All, I have a question about the max cutting height of Kubota Mid Mount Mowers / Belly Mowers (BX and B series tractors).

I know that on Tractor Data most of the Mid Mount Mowers / Belly Mowers have listed a cutting range of about 1" to 4".

My question is if you lift up the mower to the transport position will it still cut grass and what is that height?

The terrain following mowers as used on many B series tractors will cut (poorly) when fully raised. Haven't ever measured the blade height with the deck in the transport position on my B1750 or B3350, but would expect somewhere around 8".

Cannot speak to the suspended models as used on BX and some other models.

SDT

Last edited:
   / Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #3  
The BX will cut. It’s close to six inches on my BX2670.

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #4  
I seem to remember a specific warning in the manual about not doing that.

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #5  
I have run my BX2200 60 inch MMM in the full up position and cut several acres in the past (maybe 4 plus), after being away from home for a month and arriving back at the end of May, finding the grass about a foot high. No issues. Have done this a number of times over the years.

If you raise the deck fully and check the drive shaft it does not look unreasonable to do this. Anymore I just cut mostly in the highest numbered position first, then again a time or two at my desired height setting. Eventually the windrows disappear. :)

Do not recall the manual advising against this, but it might, if for no other reason because it increases the risk of something being thrown out by the blades.

Bill

Last edited:
   / Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #6  
I used to have a B2150 with a Belly Mower on it.

A few times I let the grass/weeds go for an extended period of time, and I had to cut it down with the mower raised all the way up in transport position.

There was not much clearance beneath the mower, even all the way up, and I am guessing it was about 6" or so.

The cut was rough and I always had to go back and cut it a second time once the grass/weeds had dried out to make it easier to mow.

Each tractor and belly mower is different as far as the raised height.

On my B3000, I would guess that I have about 10" beneath the mower in the raised position.

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #7  
I just found an owner's manual online. Page 24 of the RCK60D-26BX (drive-over model): "Never operate the mower in transport position".

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #8  
That warning was written by a lawyer. I leave the grass by my creek and both woods uncut until it gets about 18" high. Then I cut it with the deck all the way up. The only thing you lose doing that is the suction provided by having the deck down, that helps pull the grass, weeds, etc, up into the path of the blades.

Just make sure your kids, pets, and other valuables are out of harm's way.

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #9  
That warning was written by a lawyer. I leave the grass by my creek and both woods uncut until it gets about 18" high. Then I cut it with the deck all the way up. The only thing you lose doing that is the suction provided by having the deck down, that helps pull the grass, weeds, etc, up into the path of the blades.

I agree.... BUT.... one thing to watch out for the PTO shaft rubbing on something when the mower is raised all the way up.

Or that the PTO is not binding because the position is changed.

Get down low enough so you can see the PTO shaft when the mower is raised all the way, just to double check it.

/ Kubota Mid Mount Mower / Belly Mower Question #10  

Maybe. Perhaps it varies from deck to deck. Could be that there's potential for interference between spinny bits and immovable bits. A claim from an owner of anything other than an identical setup would most definitely have me checking things out for myself. And I'd still check regardless. The point is, the manual (at least, the specific manual I quoted) says not to do it - which is a good starting point for this particular decision.